TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Virgule
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by Virgule » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:33 am

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
b3groover
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:41 am
Real name: Jim
Band: THEO
Location: Lansing, MI
Contact:

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by b3groover » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:02 am

Cool! Post a pic!

I'm going to be doing my SY99 soon. The display is pretty good, but it looks so weak compared to the SY77 with the new blue screen that's positioned right above it on the keyboard stand! I also need to do my Wavestation.

jngpng
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: UK

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by jngpng » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:35 am

Awesome info in this thread!

The screen that is being used for the TG77/SY77 replacement looks superficially quite similar to that used in the Roland JD990 - they are both LED backlit at least. Does anyone have any insight into replacing the screen on the JD? Mine is still mostly fine, but the contrast is clearly not quite what it could be. I'd love to be able to source a spare so I can replace it when it eventually starts to get even worse.

User avatar
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:00 pm
Real name: bill
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo
Location: kentucky hills

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by rhino » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:33 pm

ME NEXT!
just got a SY-77 for $52 on the bay. busted end-caps, power xformer pulled loose from case and boards. 10 minutes with a screwdriver and a soldering iron and SHE PLAYS !!! display even looks good, but i'm hot to restore the case and instal a CrystalFonts red-on-black display. have to think first, maybe the old eyes would rather have a black-on-white.

also, just replaced the display in a Korg 707. old one even had LED backlight, but was very dim...AND... the liquid crystal display itself had a big purple-brown oval dark spot in the middle.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

User avatar
b3groover
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:41 am
Real name: Jim
Band: THEO
Location: Lansing, MI
Contact:

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by b3groover » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Nice score, man. I've repaired many electronic devices where the transformer had cracked a circuit board. Run some jumpers and you're in business. $52 is ridiculously cheap.

Good luck finding the end caps. I have a busted right end one, so if you find a source, let me know.

User avatar
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:00 pm
Real name: bill
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo
Location: kentucky hills

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by rhino » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:05 am

Yamaha still has them. didn't want to spend x2 what i paid for the synth: left=$68. right=$33
https://www.yamaha24x7.com/YamahaOMS/Vi ... tring=sy77
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

User avatar
synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:46 pm
Real name: Scott
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha
Location: Western Ohio

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by synthRodriguez » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:33 pm

I have a left and right cap from the SY99 I recently restored (forked over the bucks for the new parts) I'd sell them both for say $10 bucks plus whatever to ship.

They may not be in much better condition than what you have now though. Can PM a photo if interested.

User avatar
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 pm
Real name: Dan Wilson
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by HideawayStudio » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:26 pm

b3groover wrote:Nice score, man. I've repaired many electronic devices where the transformer had cracked a circuit board. Run some jumpers and you're in business. $52 is ridiculously cheap.

Good luck finding the end caps. I have a busted right end one, so if you find a source, let me know.
Absolutely! The SY/TG77 are lovely synths - you could always make up some nice wooden end caps for it!

User avatar
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:00 pm
Real name: bill
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo
Location: kentucky hills

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by rhino » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:37 pm

wood end caps are great on vintage synths. just didn't seem like the thing for the SY-77.... gave some thought to metal 'cooling vents/fins' with pulsating red LEDs behind them. The 'Chinese puzzle" construction of Yama 'boards of that era make to hard to fit flat wood parts to it.

point of this pointless post is that Scottrods used endcaps were 1000% better than the fragments that were on it

PS if anybody reading this should need to replace the display in a Korg 707, PM me and i'll send you info to make a custom cable....only 2 of the 16 wires go to the same pins as the original.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

User avatar
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 pm
Real name: Dan Wilson
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:35 pm

rhino wrote:wood end caps are great on vintage synths. just didn't seem like the thing for the SY-77.... gave some thought to metal 'cooling vents/fins' with pulsating red LEDs behind them. The 'Chinese puzzle" construction of Yama 'boards of that era make to hard to fit flat wood parts to it.

point of this pointless post is that Scottrods used endcaps were 1000% better than the fragments that were on it

PS if anybody reading this should need to replace the display in a Korg 707, PM me and i'll send you info to make a custom cable....only 2 of the 16 wires go to the same pins as the original.
OK how about end caps milled from solid billets of brushed anodised aluminum - now you can't tell me that wouldn't look the part :)

User avatar
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:30 pm
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer
Location: U.K

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by Pro5 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:36 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:
rhino wrote:wood end caps are great on vintage synths. just didn't seem like the thing for the SY-77.... gave some thought to metal 'cooling vents/fins' with pulsating red LEDs behind them. The 'Chinese puzzle" construction of Yama 'boards of that era make to hard to fit flat wood parts to it.

point of this pointless post is that Scottrods used endcaps were 1000% better than the fragments that were on it

PS if anybody reading this should need to replace the display in a Korg 707, PM me and i'll send you info to make a custom cable....only 2 of the 16 wires go to the same pins as the original.
OK how about end caps milled from solid billets of brushed anodised aluminum - now you can't tell me that wouldn't look the part :)

All cool ideas, I happen to like the plastic end caps on my SY77 due to the shape on them.. they have a kind of aviation feel to them, perhaps a concorde nose thing but flat.

User avatar
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:30 pm
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer
Location: U.K

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by Pro5 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:23 pm

BTW I noticed the SY77 getting some respect on that 'top 20 synthesizers of all time' rundown on 'another site'. It wasn't in the 20 but was a 'chart scraper' along with other beauties like the Polysix. Shame a lot of the opinions were ill-informed (good and bad). The 20 chart inc D-50, DX7, M1(?) - the classics basically - not always 'the best' imo (though the D-50 is HOT! :mrgreen: )

I like one guy who appeared to be sitting next to an upright SY77 talking about the DX7 'could have been a great powerful beast if you could just program it' - well the SY77 sorts that a bit, and is more powerful... and there's one right next you ;) (as far as I can tell, grainy video and all that)

SY77's slightly generic look fools a lot of people who probably just think 'pure rompler' (like the m1/sy85) a shame for such a charming, deep and playable synth. It's a keeper for me.

User avatar
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 pm
Real name: Dan Wilson
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:49 pm

Pro5 wrote:BTW I noticed the SY77 getting some respect on that 'top 20 synthesizers of all time' rundown on 'another site'. It wasn't in the 20 but was a 'chart scraper' along with other beauties like the Polysix. Shame a lot of the opinions were ill-informed (good and bad). The 20 chart inc D-50, DX7, M1(?) - the classics basically - not always 'the best' imo (though the D-50 is HOT! :mrgreen: )

I like one guy who appeared to be sitting next to an upright SY77 talking about the DX7 'could have been a great powerful beast if you could just program it' - well the SY77 sorts that a bit, and is more powerful... and there's one right next you ;) (as far as I can tell, grainy video and all that)

SY77's slightly generic look fools a lot of people who probably just think 'pure rompler' (like the m1/sy85) a shame for such a charming, deep and playable synth. It's a keeper for me.
:) History repeats itself.... again! One thing I've learnt about so many things in life is that, once the hype has died down, often those things (music, cars, actors, studio gear etc, etc) which really should have been better rated at the time get rediscovered as their real strengths shine through over the longer term. The SY77 is a lovely and extremely capable beast and I will always have one in my studio. Its clear there has been a new interest in DX7 - my opinion is that interest really should be redirected to the SY77 as it's features make this beast much better suited for modern day music thanks to it's DX7 style synth engine being warmed by resonant filters. The SY77's palette is MUCH wider than DX7 - that said I love all of the Yamaha FM synths - I have SY77, TG77, TX802, TX81Z and TG33 in the studio.
Last edited by HideawayStudio on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
docflick
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:06 pm
Gear: Yamaha SY85 / SY99 / Motif 6 / MO8 / Korg MS2000/ Clavia Nord Rack 2x (sold)
Location: City of Brotherly Love (or thereabouts)

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by docflick » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:57 am

Great stuff - love the cool blue! My SY77 has come down with the same damn LCD issue that every 77 develops sooner or later. Going blind trying to read the display!

As an owner of both a DX7 and a SY77 (and a former owner of a DX7IIFD), I agree that the SY77 deserves every bit as much praise as the DX7. The DX, while a great synth, can't touch the sonic capabilities of the 77. A comparison of their specs should be evidence enough, never mind hearing them side-by-side. While I may end up selling my DX7 one day, I can't imagine letting go of my SY77.
Yamaha SY85 / SY99 / Motif 6 / MO8

User avatar
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:30 pm
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer
Location: U.K

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by Pro5 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:48 am

docflick wrote:Great stuff - love the cool blue! My SY77 has come down with the same damn LCD issue that every 77 develops sooner or later. Going blind trying to read the display!

As an owner of both a DX7 and a SY77 (and a former owner of a DX7IIFD), I agree that the SY77 deserves every bit as much praise as the DX7. The DX, while a great synth, can't touch the sonic capabilities of the 77. A comparison of their specs should be evidence enough, never mind hearing them side-by-side. While I may end up selling my DX7 one day, I can't imagine letting go of my SY77.
Yeah, every week I consider selling my DX7 II-D (not because it's bad, but because my '77 now makes it redundant) but really wanna keep it just for that logo (yes I'm sad, I wanted a DX7 since I was a kid!). I never once think about selling the '77. Esp now I've rejuvinated it with a beautiful screen and 100% reliable PC drive.

The sounds on the '77 never fail to amaze me. The 'analog' patches found on the net are stunning, and not in a 'digital does analog but fails' way, but in a different way to analog. The lead sounds and feel of the board in AFM mode with portamento/mono is sublime. The evolving pads are every bit as interesting as my D-50 while also having a very clear and recordable quality to them (fit straight into any mix, D-50 sometimes needs more eq to tame it).

And it's also probably the most flexible synth I own, it can do pretty much anything and do it well (sans 'ultra real rompler' stuff, cos of course it's on board PCMs are dated, but some when layered still sound great to my ears). When working through the patches, the ones that catch my ear typically involve AFM and have a special edge to them.

The SY77 is the single best kept secret in the DIGITAL vintage synth world imo. It's so underated and unknown compared to the more famous synths and therefore goes for ultra-bargain prices. I think It's possibly Yamahas best digital synth ever, as I think the D-50 is to Roland. And I may well sell up all my other Digital stuff in time (for more analog) but those two will remain forever adding that special digital magic (both with good filters and architecture).

This concludes my Saturday morning '77 promoting :)

Post Reply