TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: TG/SY77 High Contrast Blue Replacement LCD Module

Post by rhino » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:00 pm

done!
The white-on-blue looks great, but I choose a black on white:
Newhaven from Digi-Key... their part # NHD-24064WG-ATFH-VZ*000CB. Cost more that i paid for the SY-77 (synth=$52, display $58)
PM me if you decide to use this module and I'll share my trials with you.
basicly:
1. display is about 2mm thicker than the original...I used washers under the mounting screws so as not to bend the display board.
2. new display needs LESS contrast bias than the original: had to change the 820-ohm resistor in the -12 volt line to the contrast pot to a 4.7K

next project: one of the white/blue displays in my K5m.
77dispnew2.JPG
77dispnew.JPG
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:05 pm

That looks slick! Great job! I need to do my SY99 and now I'm tempted to do the black on white. However, my SY77 is white on blue so I should probably keep them both the same.

EDIT: I wonder if the black on white would work with the Wavestation?

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:13 pm

rhino wrote:done!
The white-on-blue looks great, but I choose a black on white:
Newhaven from Digi-Key... their part # NHD-24064WG-ATFH-VZ*000CB. Cost more that i paid for the SY-77 (synth=$52, display $58)
PM me if you decide to use this module and I'll share my trials with you.
basicly:
1. display is about 2mm thicker than the original...I used washers under the mounting screws so as not to bend the display board.
2. new display needs LESS contrast bias than the original: had to change the 820-ohm resistor in the -12 volt line to the contrast pot to a 4.7K

next project: one of the white/blue displays in my K5m.
77dispnew2.JPG
77dispnew.JPG
That looks awesome.

I'm utterly useless with the soldering iron though, so when I get a few bucks back in my pocket I'm going to have to find someone to perform the upgrade on mine.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:09 am

Does anyone know if there is one of these displays to fit an ESi-32?

My backlight has just died. According to the spec sheet the ESi display is a 20 character x 4 row LCD. Apparently it's the same screen as in a EIIIX.

**EDIT** Would this one work:

http://au.farnell.com/powertip-corp/pc2 ... dp/1671508

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:14 pm

gmeredith wrote:Does anyone know if there is one of these displays to fit an ESi-32?

My backlight has just died. According to the spec sheet the ESi display is a 20 character x 4 row LCD. Apparently it's the same screen as in a EIIIX.

**EDIT** Would this one work:

http://au.farnell.com/powertip-corp/pc2 ... dp/1671508

Cheers, Graham
This entirely depends on whether the ESI-32 still uses a genuine character display like the EIII and EIIIX or a graphics module. If it is a character module then there is a very good chance it will work BUT the chances of it physically dropping straight in are slim. Most Hitachi HD44780 clones are signal and protocol compatible but often utilise different physical connectors, backlights, contrast control voltages and basic dimensions. That said - if you get the right one then it might just fit without needing modification. This is where careful research is required.

I can't remember what type of backlight the ESI-32 had - my EIIIX has an EL backlight. If I were to fit a modern LED backlit display then this would require an extra 5 volt feed and dropper resistor. The other issue is that if the display has been sandwiched between the control panel pcb and the inside of the metal front panel then there might not be enough clearance to fit a modern LED backlit display. This was the case with my EMAX II rackmount and it's a real shame as the only way to do this was to either source a particularly thin display module or stand the whole pcb further back from the inside of the panel and then extend the switches to fit through the panel openings - a true labour of love!

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:48 pm

The ESi32 has a normal EL backlight, apparently the same as the EIIIX.

The 5V feed for the backlight won't be a problem - I'll tap it from the 5V power supply from the floppy drive.
It also doesn't matter so much about the display depth because the Esi32 has a really convenient cutout in the inner skin of the faceplate assembly that actually exposes some of the display PCB. The worst case scenario is I will have to enlarge the cutout with a metal nibbler tool slightly - but maybe not.

I guess the issue here is whether the display is compatible electronically. I'm not sure if it's a graphics LCD - the spec sheet describe it as a 20x4 LCD display - but the interesting thing is that on startup, the splash screen has all these musical notes that appear randomly placed all over the screen while the text also appears - which actually look like musical notes, not block representations of them using text characters or something. Also, the ESi2000 diagnostics manual describes the Esi2000 LCD display test as showing up all the "pixels" on the screen for checking - not "characters". It has an identical display, splash screen graphics and operating system to the ESi32.

**UPDATE** on closer inspection the ESI's screen is made up of 4 rows of rectangle character blocks with spaces between the rows and columns, not a continuous graphics face, so i guess it isn't a graphics LCD.

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:26 am

Just did my SY99 tonight. Wanted to post a pic but can't get into my server for some reason. Now I have a blue SY77 and a blue SY99. They look cool together! :)

Up next is the Wavestation A/D.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Here's a pic of the dual blues:

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:07 pm

b3groover wrote:Here's a pic of the dual blues:

So why are they set to the same patch?? Is one huge lead not enough? ;)

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:15 pm

gmeredith wrote:
**UPDATE** on closer inspection the ESI's screen is made up of 4 rows of rectangle character blocks with spaces between the rows and columns, not a continuous graphics face, so i guess it isn't a graphics LCD.

Cheers, Graham
Then there is a good chance an alternative character display will work - let me know how you get on as I'm fed up with the dim display on my EIIIX.

Apart from mechanical compatibility, the only other issue you might run into is the way the user defined characters work - this might leave you with normal chars coming up just fine but anything user defined by the firmware may not be displayed correctly. Furthermore, if E-mu used any oddball pre defined chars (like WingDings on a PC) then these might not show up either. I have replaced several character modules in the past and this is the kind of thing I have experienced.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:02 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:
b3groover wrote:Here's a pic of the dual blues:

So why are they set to the same patch?? Is one huge lead not enough? ;)
'Cos it's cool!

:D

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:21 am

SY77 (99) does do some amazing leads (for a digital).. well it does amazing 'everything' I'm finding :)

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:40 pm

Yeah, one of my favorites back in the day was one called "Sysiphus" (misspelling intentional I believe) that was a really nice Moog-ish lead. I used that thing to death.

The patch on both screens is one I made after finding "Earth Lead" on the FS1R. Its also in my Motif ES rack and I thought that was funny, so I decided to recreate it on the SY.

rlm00
Gear: Roland JD-990, Yamaha TG-77, Access Virus Indigo, Ensoniq SQ-80, Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha A5000, Emu E4XT

Post by rlm00 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:50 am

what ever happened to that detailed write up???

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:30 am

Thread revival time!

Does anyone have a recommendation of a quiet 5V EL inverter for these big LCDs? I tried the ones from backlight4you.com but they're very loud, as loud as the one it replaced in my Akai S1000!