Hardware vs. Software Envelopes/LFO's

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Hardware vs. Software Envelopes/LFO's

Post by Mixolydian » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:21 am

I suppose the obvious advantage of a software envelope is the fact that it's midi controllable and can be stored in memory. Solderman is correct about the Alpha Junos having great software envelopes. I have the MKS-50 and it's down right punchy - really fun to run 16 step sequences with.

Still, I've never found anything that beats the speed of my Yamaha CS-10's hardware envelopes. It's just fast. Hard to describe how fast unless you actually have your fingers on the keys. Immediate.

But software can do some cool tricks that would take 6 hands or big bucks in hardware - like run 12 LFOs simultaneously or change an envelope's parameters on 3 independent waveforms throughout the note cycle.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:50 am

Imho a big difference and very easy to test is the RELEASE TIME. I don't know why but on digital envelopes the release time doesn't fade the volume note to 0 in a smooth way. Just compare the release of the A6 Andromeda (sw) with the Voyager. On the voyager sounds smoothly disappear in a very natural way. On the A6 (or try any VST you want) you'll hear the sound fade out and then when it reaches a "threshold" it's simply cutted out.
I hate this thing.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:29 am

sorry for posting this again :roll:

i think with volta one will only need some vco, vcf and vca. one could send out as many lfos / envelopes as ones interface allows. one could also produce lfos which cycles in about 1 hour if wanted so. i think its the best of both worlds with the digital controls that are in sync with the DAW and analog sound.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:16 pm

mao wrote:a big difference and very easy to test is the RELEASE TIME. I don't know why but on digital envelopes the release time doesn't fade the volume note to 0 in a smooth way. when it reaches a "threshold" it's simply cutted out.
That's a matter of poor software programming, not a fault with software itself. Having high bit resolution and proper smoothing would take care of that.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.