Looks like everyone has caught onto Ensoniq synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Looks like everyone has caught onto Ensoniq synths

Post by Joey » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:46 pm

Just yesterday an SQ80 I was watching sold for $700

every ESQ1 i've seen has been well over $200

we need to stop doing this to gear

if you have an amazing underrated piece please keep your mouth shut about it

again it also has to do with the current indie scene kid synth trend, it seems people are doing anything to get anything remotely retro sounding

when are digitals going to get expensive again so analogs get cheap (i've been collecting all the digital synths I want due to low prices)... I guess the ensoniqs are the start of this
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Re: Looks like everyone has caught onto Ensoniq synths

Post by Jack Spider » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:50 pm

The ESQ-1 is a fantastic synth for the price it goes for - cracking interface, versatile and sounds great to boot.

But yes, I agree, it's all junk and no further correspondance should be entered into about these bargains, I mean utter rip-offs!
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Ensoniq products are utter garbage.
The many many years I used Ensoniq products exclusively to happily create all of my music were awful.
Never again do I want to suffer those nice sounds, the effective interface, the interesting synthesis scheme, and wonderful sequencer. Don't even get me started on the samplers.
Don't waste your money. Aren't there M1s you could be buying?

(I don't think I quite pulled off the Ensoniq diss.)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:19 pm

Sounds like ebay hysteria to me

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Yeah, it's part of why I've felt reluctant to post any videos on my You Tube account. I have had a tendency to acquire "underrated" instruments and be one of the few people who knows enough about them to show others what they are really capable of. The problem is, if I posted a video of it, soon people would be paying twenty times what I bought it for and I would never be able to get one again.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Joey wrote:Just yesterday an SQ80 I was watching sold for $700

every ESQ1 i've seen has been well over $200

we need to stop doing this to gear

if you have an amazing underrated piece please keep your mouth shut about it

again it also has to do with the current indie scene kid synth trend, it seems people are doing anything to get anything remotely retro sounding

when are digitals going to get expensive again so analogs get cheap (i've been collecting all the digital synths I want due to low prices)... I guess the ensoniqs are the start of this
Holy s**t, and I thought I paid too much when I got my sq80 for 360. I suppose if mine ever dies I'm going to have to resort to sq-8L, which actually isn't the least bit shabby.
Last edited by nuketifromorbit on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:02 pm

Sounds like a one off to me. To the best of my knowledge the going rate of ESQ-1s has remained pretty stable here in the UK.

Oh and you know how there was a thread a while back about cheap synths that contain CEM chips (I think you were quite interested in this Marc)? Where one member insisted that the JX-3P used them until others proved otherwise? Well the ESQ-1 is the perfect answer. 8 CEM filters for next to nothing.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:59 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Sounds like a one off to me. To the best of my knowledge the going rate of ESQ-1s has remained pretty stable here in the UK.

Oh and you know how there was a thread a while back about cheap synths that contain CEM chips (I think you quite interested in this Marc)? Where one member insisted that the JX-3P used them until others proved otherwise? Well the ESQ-1 is the perfect answer. 8 CEM filters for next to nothing.
Recently, a friend and I worked on some music using only an ESQ-1.
It's hard for me to use because everything I wrote for roughly 4 years came out of that thing, and it has such a distinctive sound to me that I all I can do when I use it is remember all I did in those years.
I think it does have nice filters... and the oscillators are a lot of fun... but I can't really write with the thing anymore because my tastes have drifted so far from what it does.
It is ludicrous that the SQ-80 is so favoured over the ESQ, but again... usually such favouring isn't based on sound or capability. : )
The ESQ-1 served me VERY well when it was the sound I wanted to have... and I will gladly tell anyone the same.
(I feel like I need to boost the ESQ a bit due to the price descrepancy in Joey's post...)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:03 pm

An SQ-80 really doesn't have that much over an ESQ-1. Might be worth $100 more, max. Otherwise your better off with the ESQ-1.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:11 pm

I've wanted an SQ-80 for awhile now, but they never come up. Now that they are going for double of what I was willing to pay, it looks like I'll never get one.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:18 pm

I doubt the prices will suddenly rise, if ever... they have been constantly the same for the last 10 years or more. why would it change now? they really don't have much going for them in terms of "coolness". No sex appeal, you rarely see them on stage, and they are generally considered dated (probably based on looks alone), but not in a good way. Everyone always calls them underrated and then waits for the prices to rise.... and they don't.
I would say the SQ80 is still preferable given the disk drive and more waveforms, but either way, you're not going to spend a lot.
Do you even post on vse bro?

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:49 pm

that's an insane price in the current market which is between $100 to $200.

the winning bidder has a feedback rating of 2; look for the synth to be relisted soon.

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:27 am

I saw the same thing happen to a lot of synths, in particular the CS synths. When I first got into synths back in 2002 I remember seeing CS-15's and such going for like $250. Now I see them for upwards of $500 on ebay. I wish I had been working back in 02 and was able to snatch one of those up cheap compared to what they are now.

On the subject of ESQ-1's I've looked at them quite a few times. Do they sound dated at all? I know they look it but how's the sound? One of my favorite bands[Skinny Puppy] used a couple but it's hard to identify specific synths in their tracks.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:10 am

factual35 wrote:I saw the same thing happen to a lot of synths, in particular the CS synths. When I first got into synths back in 2002 I remember seeing CS-15's and such going for like $250. Now I see them for upwards of $500 on ebay. I wish I had been working back in 02 and was able to snatch one of those up cheap compared to what they are now.
Yes, the CS-15 has always drawn a price FAR below its capability and sound in comparison to other synths which draw a LOT more, though. I also remember when CS-15s were that cheap... along with a lot of other synths which now seem to have developed some sort of silly cache. (Junos, I am looking in your direction)

factual35 wrote:On the subject of ESQ-1's I've looked at them quite a few times. Do they sound dated at all? I know they look it but how's the sound? One of my favorite bands[Skinny Puppy] used a couple but it's hard to identify specific synths in their tracks.
I think the presets definitely sound dated, but the functionality allows for you to create sounds that wouldn't sound dated. I am oversaturated with the sound, and can only think of it in the context that I used and overused back when I bought one new and used it for all of my music, but I guarantee there are great sounds to be found in the thing.
It is definitely worth more than it sells for.
But maybe less than what the SQ has been selling for. :wink:

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:14 am

factual35 wrote:On the subject of ESQ-1's I've looked at them quite a few times. Do they sound dated at all? I know they look it but how's the sound? One of my favorite bands[Skinny Puppy] used a couple but it's hard to identify specific synths in their tracks.
As Marc said the presets are mostly junk and haven't aged well but many great sounds can definitely be coaxed out of the lowly ESQ-1. In fact I'd go as far to say that it has some of the best strings and pads I've ever heard.