Looks like everyone has caught onto Ensoniq synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Re: Looks like everyone has caught onto Ensoniq synths

Post by Spadz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:27 am

I've add ESQ since it's creation. I've always found them flexible and the sound is really fat and nice.

But I would never pay 700$ for that. I don't know what the h**l is wrong with people but so many of them ask ridiculous prices.
I've been looking at an add for a AKai AX-60 for 700$ 9yeas 7004 as well, it may be some magic number), anyways, that moron as been putting the same fricken add every fricken week for months. Same price.

So I guess there are lots of dicks out in the open asking stupid prices. It's not just synths, it's everything.
I take a look at local adds several times a day because of dicks picking up incredible deals then try to resell them twice what they are worth. I'd love to get one of f"?%$ers and beat the s**t out of him.
They are screwing up the local used market. And I'm not the only one. Some guys have put adds which are just comments that they are as pissed as me.

I paid 100$ 6 years ago for the ESQm I currently own. It's enough. When those things break, you are in deep s**t because Ensoniq add a very paranoid way of creating circuits (according to more than one tech I've talked to in the past).

Whatever electronic "vintage" you buy is a risk. You can always fix a 60 years old guitar. Try that with a synth. It should affect the prices down. But as long as there are stupid people paying such prices for it, it won't change.
I've been wanting an Emulator EIII for a long time, but I'm not rich. The stuff I accumulated I did because I got them for cheap in general. There was is an EIII on Ebay lately (relisted once or twice), the guy's starting bid was like 2000$ or so. I don't see it anymore (just checked cause I wanted the link).
Either someone actually paid that (give me a frickem break! Not worth that much), or the guy received a pot of vaseline and shoved it up is a$$.

Ok, enough ranting. I never b***h like that...
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

dirtykeys
Gear: astationdr202es1mkIIesq1k2000remote25sl...

Post by dirtykeys » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:39 am

the esq1 is all i got
yet i never spend much time on it
i know i should
if anyone has any suggestions
i would apperciate them
i still cant understand this
http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=146
and how to route the LFOs
maybe im trying to bite more than i can chew
but what i do know
is the sequencer is very easy
anyways
hell0

solderguy

Post by solderguy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:21 am

That's an old trick going back to the early days of modular synthesizers. Combine an upgoing LFO sawtooth wave with a downgoing LFO sawtooth wave with the correct relative rates and levels, and you get a stepped (or staircase wave ) which can be sent to a VCO to generate an arpeggio or to a VCF to generate a stepped filter sweep. This is great on the ESQ-1 since it has 3 separate LFOs PER VOICE eg. 24 LFOs total which can run independently of each other.

There is no choice between up sawtooth and down sawtooth on the ESQ, but it can be done on the OSC menu by choosing LFO1 and LFO2 for a mod source and setting one of the LFO modulation levels to a " - " value. Modulate OSC1 with LFO1 and LFO2 simultaneously (set each to sawtooth ), set the LFO2 modulation level of LFO2 to a " - " value. The relative rates and levels of the two LFOs are critical here, in general the faster LFO should have a lower level than the slower LFO. It is difficult to set up but the results are worth it. Once you have it working, save the patch. And try it in split mode / layered mode with other sounds.

ESQ-1 / SQ-80 is a great synth for stuff like this.

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Clavier wrote:Yeah, it's part of why I've felt reluctant to post any videos on my You Tube account. I have had a tendency to acquire "underrated" instruments and be one of the few people who knows enough about them to show others what they are really capable of. The problem is, if I posted a video of it, soon people would be paying twenty times what I bought it for and I would never be able to get one again.
Some people would consider that an excellent buisness opportunity.

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:53 pm

Well I haven't had an Ensoniq for years but did convert the old Mod Wheel Guitar sample over the years to EMU, Roland, Giga and now STS.
I can't believe anyone here hasn't mentioned the PAT capabilities they had on certain synths.
I didn't own one but my friend use to get some great lead solo effects by using pitch bend values of -1/+1 & -2/+2 and bend half step and whole tones up to a matching pitch just like a Guitarist matching his B string bends up to his E string.
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91
Studio Electronics Synths
Creamware ASB B4000 w/ Pro3t Rotary

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:53 pm

I might want to look into it in a few months, as I LOVE pads and strings a great deal. I just bought a micron, so it will be awhile before I look into a getting a new synth.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:11 am

I just sold my ESQ-1 for $275. I think that's about as close to a max ceiling those and the SQ-80 will hit. Even the VFX-SD/SD-1 doesn't sell for much more. And those are FAR more capable synths. I doubt that bid will be honored. He'll back out.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 am

Joey wrote:Just yesterday an SQ80 I was watching sold for $700

every ESQ1 i've seen has been well over $200

we need to stop doing this to gear

if you have an amazing underrated piece please keep your mouth shut about it

again it also has to do with the current indie scene kid synth trend, it seems people are doing anything to get anything remotely retro sounding

when are digitals going to get expensive again so analogs get cheap (i've been collecting all the digital synths I want due to low prices)... I guess the ensoniqs are the start of this
Yes - I totally agree on this one - I've seen prices of several unsuspecting 80's synths going up dramatically recently - try buying a D-50 and PG-1000 for chicken feed now! Now in some ways I can see this one - the D-50 is just lovely - I'm not so sure about the Korg M1 though!

The Japanese have raised the DX7 to almost cult status in the last 5 years - they are even importing them back to Japan - just like old minis! .... that said I'd love a DX5!!

I'm sure eBay is partly responsible for this.... buy what you want NOW - before it's too late. They may have been mass produced but by todays standards they are still not huge numbers - how many EIIIs and SY99s were made - it can't have been huge figures - they were hellishly expensive new.

As for Ensoniqs quite unlike my favourite Waldorfs, Rolands, Yamahas, Korgs and E-mus of the era - I've never been very much taken by them. I can see why the SidStation fans like some of them though. :)

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:07 am

OriginalJambo wrote: As Marc said the presets are mostly junk and haven't aged well but many great sounds can definitely be coaxed out of the lowly ESQ-1. In fact I'd go as far to say that it has some of the best strings and pads I've ever heard.
How dare you question the greatness of "KLUNKS", "TRIBEL", and "SYNBAS"?!
[-X

One thing that is appealing about the Ensoniq stuff (I've had an ESQ-1, EPS, SQ80, and a VFXsd) is the interface. They're the best interfaces I've used on non-analogs. Nothing is more than 2 button pushes and all the info is displayed on those large displays.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:17 am

Most hybrid synths I'm aware of can be had cheap. ESQ-1, SQ-80, K3, DW6000,DW8000, etc. They are a relative bargain although I think they have a peculiar sound character that is not unlike lo-fi sampling. Sometimes thats good but fequently they come off sounding really dated to me. That was the biggest problem I had with my ESQ-1 and K3M, they just had a peculiar overall sound I couldn't escape and ultimately it wasn't a general flavor of sound that I was very fond of. I suppose in a way that whole PCM or sample based oscillator thing just sounded cheap casio to me. They did have shining moments though. The ESQ-1 could do excellent grainy metallic sounds and some cool lo-fi pads. The K3M could do some really tight, deep bass.
Last edited by otto on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

dirtykeys
Gear: astationdr202es1mkIIesq1k2000remote25sl...

Post by dirtykeys » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:20 am

id like to thank everyone
that has posted on this topic
for inspiring
me to spend more time on the esq 1
slowly putting
things into motion
suppose i like fast results
but we all know that
things do take time
cheers

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:38 am

braincandy wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote: As Marc said the presets are mostly junk and haven't aged well but many great sounds can definitely be coaxed out of the lowly ESQ-1. In fact I'd go as far to say that it has some of the best strings and pads I've ever heard.
How dare you question the greatness of "KLUNKS", "TRIBEL", and "SYNBAS"?!
[-X

One thing that is appealing about the Ensoniq stuff (I've had an ESQ-1, EPS, SQ80, and a VFXsd) is the interface. They're the best interfaces I've used on non-analogs. Nothing is more than 2 button pushes and all the info is displayed on those large displays.
Ha ha! True!
I remember the first time I heard VELBAS and thought I had died and gone to heaven. : )
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:30 am

solderguy wrote:That's an old trick going back to the early days of modular synthesizers. Combine an upgoing LFO sawtooth wave with a downgoing LFO sawtooth wave with the correct relative rates and levels, and you get a stepped (or staircase wave ) which can be sent to a VCO to generate an arpeggio or to a VCF to generate a stepped filter sweep. This is great on the ESQ-1 since it has 3 separate LFOs PER VOICE eg. 24 LFOs total which can run independently of each other.

There is no choice between up sawtooth and down sawtooth on the ESQ, but it can be done on the OSC menu by choosing LFO1 and LFO2 for a mod source and setting one of the LFO modulation levels to a " - " value. Modulate OSC1 with LFO1 and LFO2 simultaneously (set each to sawtooth ), set the LFO2 modulation level of LFO2 to a " - " value. The relative rates and levels of the two LFOs are critical here, in general the faster LFO should have a lower level than the slower LFO. It is difficult to set up but the results are worth it. Once you have it working, save the patch. And try it in split mode / layered mode with other sounds.

ESQ-1 / SQ-80 is a great synth for stuff like this.
I've had mine forever and still and learning about stuff like this. I definitely consider it my jack of all trades synth. it's rare I can't get a sound out of it that I maybe have in my head. The sample quality and grit, and addition of sync and AM give it far more character than other equivalent synths of that era. You may not like that sound per se, but to me, that's why it's worth keeping. Any synth can do pads, brass, bass whatever, but not all have something about them that's make it distinct. And I agree with Jambo, strings and pads sound great on this. It's capable of both brilliant subtlety, and monsterous, ballsy OTT sounds in equal measure. Maybe my desert island synth?
Do you even post on vse bro?

yeahrightkid
Gear: Cheap Synths and Samplers.
Band: Architects of Fear

Post by yeahrightkid » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:02 am

Well, in 2007 I bought 3 Mirage racks for under 100 bucks a piece. The prices on those haven't really climbed either, but I have noticed the ESQ-1 and SQ-80 price hikes. Also, when I bought my CS-15 in 2005 I spent about 400 dollars. The kicker? I could have had a Pro-One for that money back then!

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:47 am

braincandy wrote:How dare you question the greatness of "KLUNKS", "TRIBEL", and "SYNBAS"?!
[-X
KLUNKS is amazing. Try playing the opening to Saga's "Humble Stance" on that one and you're all set. In fact, the presets can do a lot for you with minor tweaks (An example: Take the MIXED preset, tune 1 osc down an octave and edit ENV4 to your taste. Eats Mellotrons for breakfast). Soundwise it's like the little brother of a PPG Wave, only easier to program.

That said, the ESQ-1 is notoriously temperamental for a digital synth, the filters are nowhere as good as those on the VFX or VFX-SD and the waveforms are utter unholy c**p. I would NEVER use it live. And the SQ-80 has a terrible keybed. That should take off a little heat, eh?
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...