KORG DW-8000 users

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nbellum

KORG DW-8000 users

Post by nbellum » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:36 pm

This is my first synth so I have a very basic understanding of general synthesis. I have read the PDF manual from KORG's website so I understand what the different parameters do. I have been messing with it for about a month now and for some reason I can't get any of the patches to change from their original sound very much. They sound somewhat different but even if I change both waveforms the original sound still stays about the same. I was under the impression I would be able to get just about any sound out of it I wanted.

rockmanrock

Re: KORG DW-8000 users

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:37 pm

nbellum wrote: I can't get any of the patches to change from their original sound very much. They sound somewhat different but even if I change both waveforms the original sound still stays about the same. I was under the impression I would be able to get just about any sound out of it I wanted.
Sounds like you've read an advert somewhere! "any sound you can imagine" is what the blurb usually says and it's rubbish, all synths have their own character and even with extensive programming you end up with variations on that character. In this case it will always sound like single cycle samples through nice filters and a delay, which to me sounds great. I suppose it depends on your aims and expectations, I know it's a cliche but limitations are sometimes a good thing. I'd say make the most of it, explore every nook and cranny. If you really want something that has a huge palette, get a sampler or a modern rompler.

solderguy

Post by solderguy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:01 am

I find the DW8000 sometimes needs quite a bit of tweaking in order to get sounds that are easily done on other synths ( good sounding single-osc non-unison bass for one....). But it can be done with good results, along with other sounds that many other synths can't touch. These suggestions may be helpful: make use of the additional envelope stages ( sets it apart from the usual ADSR ), a bit of auto-bend on one or both oscillators can make quite a difference to the overall sound ( but keep the bend time short, 0..3 is most useful, beyond this the bend becomes too obvious ), unison mode adds a lot of crunch ( but imparts a very signature sound ). Use the delay for a chorus rather than a simple echo.

solderguy

Post by solderguy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:25 am

Forgot to mention: play with just the basic waveforms initially ( 1 = saw and 2 = square ) to get a good feel for what the various functions do, before moving on to the "specialty" waveforms.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:49 am

Also... make sure that you set the "write" switch on the back panel to "enable."

gs

Post by gs » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Just like on any synth, you have to do more than just change the waveforms to make the sound significantly different. You have to play around with the contour (commonly known as "envelope generators" or EGs), filter cutoff, resonance, EG intensity, and other parameters to make it sound different. If you have the envelopes set so that you get a strong attack with a long release, then if you simply change the waveforms, you still get a strong attack with a long release -- the only thing that changes is the timbre.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:51 am

Hey all, long time no post.

Anyway, I just found out that Goodwill has an online auction site. The only synth currently listed is a Korg DW-8000. However, it's local pickup only - Indianapolis, IN.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=4395558

Maybe someone near Indianopolis will get it.

nbellum

Post by nbellum » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:03 pm

It turns out that the guy that had it before me screwed up all the patches and made them sound like c**p. I restored all of them to factory defaults by doing a tape load and it brought new life to a what I thought was a dead synth.

I'm going to be making EBM and aggrotech with this board and I need to know some good synths to accompany it. I was thinking about the ESQ-1. I have wanted one since I started looking at synths. Would that be a good choice for the type of music? I also need some sort of sampler or drum machine. I was thinking about the ESX-1 but the ES-1 is a bit cheaper. How do you even load samples onto samplers? I know memory cards but I'm talking as in what format of file would you use?

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:06 pm

nbellum wrote:I also need some sort of sampler or drum machine. I was thinking about the ESX-1 but the ES-1 is a bit cheaper. How do you even load samples onto samplers? I know memory cards but I'm talking as in what format of file would you use?
The ES-1 accepts 16-bit WAV files that you may load from a SmartMedia card. You can also sample from the two analogue inputs. The ES-1 sample rate is actually 32 kHz IIRC, but it'll still playback 44.1 kHz - the pitch will be lower of course.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:39 pm

Congrats on the DW, they sound great - a good combination of digital waves and analogue filtering.

As for samplers, at the risk of smugness, I'll say the most universal format is straight audio - something easy to forget when you've spent an afternoon trying to convert files from one thing to another. Play sounds into one, and save them as whatever format they offer. Dumb but true. Some machines have broader compatibility than others. Akai's S1000 format was common at one time, Roland had theirs, etc., and then there's the 16-bit 44.1kHz wav file. I'm not up on anything recent though.

You should ask what you want to use your sampler for - rhythms, effects, melody lines, dialogue snatches..? that might help you decide what kind of machine you want. You might or might not benefit from having something with a built-in sequencer, for example, or maybe a rack would be best. Also, how simple do you want it to be? What kind of sound quality do you want? Older samplers will have a rougher finish (8 or 12-bit often) but lack the memory capacity of more modern models - and features improved over time. Mansy samplers are now pretty cheap used so it's a good time to try a few, I think.