Winter NAMM 09 flood begins

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Winter NAMM 09 flood begins

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:40 am

Suburban Bather wrote:as far as analog goes, modular is really creeping up at a fast rate. More and more people are going to get tired of dealing with their dying vintage synths and outrageous prices.
No kidding...while I've left the modular world (again), the three systems I've owned cost $600, $900 and $1500 new respectively and all had MIDI. I bought two used so paid even less ($400, $1100).

Compared to used MS-20s, Odysseys, SHs, etc. it's a no brainer.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:44 am

griffin avid wrote:So one guy posts about 4 products and that's the summary of NAMM...?
Note the thread title, the flood BEGINS. New press releases have come out steadily since I first posted, there will be lots more tomorrow and videos will be following up (already a couple over at sonicstate.com). The dust won't really settle until the show closes.

Then we get to wait until summer for stuff to actually show up in stores :(
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:52 am

I was really hoping for a new Electribe too. Is it so unreasonable to ask that Korg (a major instrument manufacture) upgrade their sampler (ESX) to a memory format that is still in production? Really? They have had several years to get around to it.

Also, I thought Future Retro was coming out with something. Any word on that?

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:55 am

Johnny Lenin wrote:The thing is... there has been plenty of new gear released in the past year. We're just spoiled.

Overheard at NAMM 1981: "That's it? A piddly drum machine and an upgrade to the Jupiter 4 from Roland? A few new wrinkles on the CS line from Yamaha? Well, at least Korg has its PolySix and Moog has the Liberation. That's the showstopper... But geez, nothing really new."
As mentioned, I wouldn't be able to afford anything new anyways. But the only thing I could imagine that would really get me excited would be something with a really, really deep modulation matrix and tons of everything (oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, multimode filters, etc.). Oh yeah, and make it all discrete. With 8-16 voices. But this thing, whatever it is, would be damn expensive. And doesn't it already exist? Not to derail the thread, but, having never used one, I am curious... what can be done to improve upon the Andromeda?

Ultimately, that basic 2-osc, 1 filter, 2 envelope and 1-2 lfo synth has been done. There are plenty of them out there. The only benefit I could see choosing one versus another is subtle differences in timbre and controller layout.

I would like to see some really, really high concept vision of synthesis that costs $15,000 and does all sorts of crazy, unimagined things, but, never mind the current economy, I don't know what hitherto un-utilized or underutilized synthesis technique would even underpin this beast.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:59 am

JackAstro wrote:I was really hoping for a new Electribe too. Is it so unreasonable to ask that Korg (a major instrument manufacture) upgrade their sampler (ESX) to a memory format that is still in production? Really? They have had several years to get around to it.

Also, I thought Future Retro was coming out with something. Any word on that?
While their at it they cant get rid of the shitty pots.
Last edited by nuketifromorbit on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:02 am

JackAstro wrote:I was really hoping for a new Electribe too. Is it so unreasonable to ask that Korg (a major instrument manufacture) upgrade their sampler (ESX) to a memory format that is still in production? Really? They have had several years to get around to it.
Yeah me too. Guess I'll stop holding my breath and pull the trigger on an ESX.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 am

Max for Live + APC40 = :mrgreen:

I would have thought Akai's next move with the EWI would be to include wireless midi (bluetooth?). I imagine that's something they're working on...

The V-Synth GT v.2 looks good as well, Roland products always seem a lot better value after a 2.0 update.

The AX-Synth: :pukeleft: :pukeright: All the uncoolness of a keytar (and not just any keytar, the ugliest keytar ever made) with what appears to be a ROMpler engine (128 voice polyphony). Congratulations Roland, you've outdone yourself by making the Juno-D even worse! :lol:

The VP-770 looks cool but I'm guessing it'll be out of my price range for what it is. If it pushes down 550 prices that'd be good though, those things are actually pretty awesome machines. I'd like to have one for the vocalist in my band.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 am

griffin avid wrote:So one guy posts about 4 products and that's the summary of NAMM...?
When did this forum become the Twilight Zone?
All forums have people that are never happy and complain about everything. It's kind of like when you are dj'ing and you get "those people" that like to request songs. You play the song and they don't even dance anyway. Gear will get asked for and when it comes out they still aren't happy and don't buy anything anyway.

Someone already hit the nail on the head with companies can't dish out new gear all the time. As for the unhappy posts they just filled the need for the complaint quota of a thread and we can move on now.

Post more pictures and links!

Motu BPM site

Official NI Video
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:13 am

Johnny Lenin wrote:
Yeah me too. Guess I'll stop holding my breath and pull the trigger on an ESX.
Get one with warranty and make sure that there are no phantom edits occurring. I had an esx and really enjoyed it, but during time in which I owned it the lfo speed kept changing on its own. Apparently it can sometimes be fixed by a OS reinstall, but in cases similar mine the pot would have to be replaced. This requires soldering and recalibration. I read this on the Korg forums and to the best of my knowledge it is correct, I'd just thought I'd warn you. Their really fun and easy to use though, its a shame I didn't just suck it up and purchase a new one for only 150 more. In addition to this the Smart media to Xd adapters work flawlessly with the esx.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:31 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:If it pushes down 550 prices that'd be good though, those things are actually pretty awesome machines. I'd like to have one for the vocalist in my band.
I was just thinking the exact same thing.

The 770 looks cooler, though. Sort of a V-VP...

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:01 am

Well MOTU Volta looks good to me. Run your CV synths via a MOTU audio interface.

http://bleep.fdiskc.com/2009/01/15/motu ... n-plug-in/

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:29 am

jonkull wrote:Well MOTU Volta looks good to me. Run your CV synths via a MOTU audio interface.

Damn. Would've been handy if I had ended up buying my friends 828. Especially since I have no midi -> CV anything yet for my analog's.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:07 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
jonkull wrote:Well MOTU Volta looks good to me. Run your CV synths via a MOTU audio interface.

Damn. Would've been handy if I had ended up buying my friends 828. Especially since I have no midi -> CV anything yet for my analog's.
I just bought a Kenton Pro Solo last Friday. Now I wish I would have waited. I'll probably get this anyway.

pour_furets

Post by pour_furets » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:31 am

@ MoTU's BPM, why go to so much trouble to make it look like there is a hardware component? Right down to the phones output and DVD drive, it seems a bit silly to make it look so much like hardware. Still it seems like a neat program--exactly the sort of thing I could get into.

I'm really excited about NI's Maschine, which actually does have a hardware component. It is exactly the sort of program I've been looking for. True, Live does a lot of the same things--and more--and will have the APC now, but I dig NI's apps and think that Maschine is right up my alley. It is a tad pricey, though.
Trust me, ma'am. I'm a cryptozoologist.

www.soundclick.com/pourfurets

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:16 am

I've been waiting and waiting for a drum machine to arrive...one worthy of doing my drums without a whole lotta help. Ananlogue but future-reaching (no 808/909 clone) Looks like One of these new grooveboxes/midi controllers/software(s) might be the combination for now. Steinberg has one too supposedly- tied to Groove Agent, I think.

I'll going to *pray* DSI get that Lindrum II on deck sometime this year.
It's now slated 3rd quarter.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com