Winter NAMM 09 flood begins

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Re: Winter NAMM 09 flood begins

Post by killedaway » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:51 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote: And it's fairly obvious that we're all a bunch of guys here with these last few comments or we'd all be sleeping on the couch tonight. :lol:
the evening is young, and my wife isn't home yet. give me time!

on topic, though, did anything come from Future Retro yet? i know some were saying he wouldn't be at NAMM, but i'm gettin' antsy here. when's old Jered gonna spill the beans?!

Hair

Post by Hair » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:53 am

Johnny Lenin wrote:* Adjustable after-touch with a knob
From watching the demo, it seems as though the knob is aftertouch - it seems like it controls the level of automatically activated aftertouch (kind of like the modulation on the Juno 106 bender etc) and that the keybed itself doesn't respond, but I could be wrong.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:41 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:I'm not there this year, but from what I've heard it's quite underwhelming across the board. No surprise, there, due to the economy worldwide. It seems, from a new release standpoint, almost like a summer NAMM show.
Ah, that's just cause you've been reading people bitching on the internets. :D As far as NAMMs go this one has seen some awesome stuff like the V-Synth GT 2.0 update, the Microkorg XL, Blofeld Keyboard, Waldorf Largo, Motu Volta, Eventide Pitchfactor, new modules and effects from Metasonix, the Rodec/Sherman thing that's been promised for ages, an AMAZING amount of stuff from Ableton, even that hideous thing from Roland for dudes that like strap-ons with different bender modes. ;) And a crapload more.

It feels to me that a lot of nerds are getting carried away by this whole 'economic downturn' thing and have convinced themselves that there isn't anything good without even looking. Or maybe it's just the bitterness of another year going by without Roland reissuing a Jupiter 8. :D
Hair wrote:
Johnny Lenin wrote:* Adjustable after-touch with a knob
From watching the demo, it seems as though the knob is aftertouch - it seems like it controls the level of automatically activated aftertouch (kind of like the modulation on the Juno 106 bender etc) and that the keybed itself doesn't respond, but I could be wrong.
You are not wrong, that's what it is.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:41 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:even that hideous thing from Roland for dudes that like strap-ons with different bender modes. ;)
and i do! :oops:
It feels to me that a lot of nerds are getting carried away by this whole 'economic downturn' thing and have convinced themselves that there isn't anything good without even looking. Or maybe it's just the bitterness of another year going by without Roland reissuing a Jupiter 8.
i admit i'm part of this, but replace "Jupiter 8" with "new Electribe". i confess that had Korg announced one, i'd've readily called this NAMM an utter success.

justin_havu
Gear: Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, PSS-270 / Korg Trinity ProX, 01/W ProX, Karma / Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD / Roland RD-1000 / Behringer Deepmind-12

Post by justin_havu » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Wow, no word from the guys at Yamaha? (except for a Motif XS expansion)
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:56 pm

Yamaha didn't release the CS-90X - an update of the CS80 with patch memory and MIDI.

This NAMM was complete c**p. :lol:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:49 pm

StepLogik wrote:This NAMM was complete c**p. :lol:
V-O-L-T-A!!!!!!!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:25 pm

pflosi wrote:
StepLogik wrote:This NAMM was complete c**p. :lol:
V-O-L-T-A!!!!!!!
While this does nothing for me... I'd say that was the coolest product of the show and one no one seemed to see coming. After thinking about it... I'd say a lot of cool stuff came out. Outside of the UAD-2 Solo / Laptop, Live 8, and the NI Maschine, I'm not into much of it, but that's a good thing in itself. :)
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Eh, Stabbed - I didn't say there wasn't a lot of stuff there, but just a lack of big products that were industry head-turners. As far as products themselves go, there's a load of useful things, though "smaller" than normal. Boss only released a few pedals, no one revamped their guitar line, only a handful of amplifiers, too.

I would have really liked to have spent time in the side halls, exploring the smaller manufacturers, to see what's hidden, but, as I said, I didn't go this year. The couple of people I know who did said they didn't see anything in there that was something they wanted to pick up and carry, soooo ...

I almost always found something there (in the little guys) that turned out to be a big seller, from cable wraps to guitar amps.

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Finally someone had the balls to release a digital piano that uses physical modelling. The Volta looks awesome too, but I don't have a MOTU interface.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:34 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Finally someone had the balls to release a digital piano that uses physical modelling. The Volta looks awesome too, but I don't have a MOTU interface.
Roland had done this before, but stopped.

Supernatural was essientially the result of continued SA synthesis development.
A line of digital pianos had been released in the 80s by Roland that were in fact SA....began with the MKS-20 I believe.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:49 pm

23 wrote:Roland had done this before, but stopped.

A line of digital pianos had been released in the 80s by Roland that were in fact SA....began with the MKS-20 I believe.
Really? Still with the vast advances in processing power over the years I think we finally have ability to nail it proper. I just watched the V-Piano demo and while it isn't a product that I will have much use for at the moment I can see it becoming very popular. It also sounds fantastic IMO.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:42 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
23 wrote:Roland had done this before, but stopped.

Really? Still with the vast advances in processing power over the years I think we finally have ability to nail it proper. I just watched the V-Piano demo and while it isn't a product that I will have much use for at the moment I can see it becoming very popular. It also sounds fantastic IMO.
Roland hasn't released all the details on the tech, but yeah, I do know it was born of SA.
The issue in the past was limitations on processing power, so you're right on why they are now springing it out in a much larger and diverse way.

Of note, SA and Supernatural are not simply Physical Modeling. Again, Roland hasn't released all details on the tech, but in the case of SA, I do know that it was a fusion of wavetable/sample based synthesis (in the original and most technical sense of the term), additive synthesis, and physical modeling. As far as what advancements have been made between the SA methods of the past and the Supernatural methods of the current, who really knows (other than Roland). Given they've had about 2 decades to further the tech though, I suspect they are significant.

Of the major synth companies out there, I really have to give it to Roland, as they practically stand alone in their stance of pushing the state of the art rather than simply repackaging old tech.

You figure the heart of things like Melodyne and Auto-tune are born of tech techniques first born of Roland (with Variphrase), things like AP Synthesis, Supernatural, etc.....
what those engineers at Roland have been doing is nothing short of astonishing.

I'm with you though on that all though I feel no pressing need to invest on taking advantage of Roland's Supernatural releases, I can appreciate the advancements behind the tech.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 am

killedaway wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:
JSRockit wrote: via PMs.

Everybody gets a little bitchy around that time of the month. :wink:
wah wah wah waaaaahhhhh.....!
I believe the word you're looking for is this:
http://www.sadtrombone.com/
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:22 am

hageir wrote:I believe the word you're looking for is this:
http://www.sadtrombone.com/
It's back up! :D :D :D

It was down the other day.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3: