why did they stop making analog synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
wrekkstylz

why did they stop making analog synths?

Post by wrekkstylz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:53 pm

seriously, why?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: why did they stop making analog synths?

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:58 pm

Becuase digital was the new thing, in a nutshell. Luckily we have them back and the world is a better place.

Try Mark Vail's book Vintage Synthesizers for size.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Because you can't do a good rhodes or piano sound on them, compared to a DX7.

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:05 pm

and I give it until the start of page 2 before it becomes a digital versus analogue train wreck of a thread. :wink:

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:28 pm

You're right, VX. And we'll never even get to cost of manufacturing, etc.

Actually, this kind of leads into the discussions I've had recently of where is the new generation of electronics experimenters going to come from? There are plenty of classes, etc. for digital work, programming, etc. but not many for "old school" electronics. Most of those people seem to come to it by accident. Hmmmm ...

Anyway ... you can all get back on topic now and start flaming one or the other.

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:You're right, VX. And we'll never even get to cost of manufacturing, etc.
So allow me... Digital component production was much more cost-effective than analog component production, largely due to economies of scale and the ability to implement different functions in software rather than in hardware. Also, VLSIs allowed massive functional integration, while providing great interchangeability. h**l, in the transition to digital control, and then sound generation in the 1980s, a huge number, if not the majority of DCO and digital synths were built around the Zilog Z80 and its clones -- at the time, one of the most common microprocessors in the biz.

It's easy to forget that Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SCI, Oberheim, etc. were businesses in an extremely competitive business. Digital technologies looked attractive from the bottom line.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:00 pm

wrekkstylz wrote:seriously, why?
The much-lauded Fat (also Phat) in analog synths actually came from baby Harp Seals, which were eventually classed as a protected species.
You don't want to encourage those Japanese to start killing cute, furry animals again just so you can have more synths, do you? They'd probably do it; they kill whales, you know.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Protect the whales. Their sound gives great pads. I use my JX for that. Much more portable than a whale.

Discrete circuitry was more unstable and more expensive than digital chips. And when the samplers machines came along and became affordable, they could sound CS, OB, P5 and ARP to 98% of human ears.

Sequential Circuits, Moog and Oberheim all closed their factories during 1986 and 1987. Then came the D-50, JV-1080, M1 and a zillion samplers and sequencers.

Analog death, digital high!

Now they are all together forcing us vintage freaks to make better music than what is out there today.

Give Dave Smith eternal life!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Oh, fine, Johnny - ruin a perfectly good rant with logic.

f**k professor. This is why no one likes you. Bah! You completely missed the whole point of veering off-topic. Sheesh! Next thing you know, you'll break out sales figures for the lower-cost, higher-profit DX7 versus the more expensive, less profitable Jupiter 8.

Don't you f**k dare ... do NOT do that ... NO!

Get on with the baby seals, Robot. It makes MUCH more sense than Johnny's nonsense.

HAH!

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:21 pm

It was George Bush's fault! :twisted:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:34 pm

seamonkey wrote:It was George Bush's fault! :twisted:
Read my lips: no new analogs!
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:03 pm

iProg wrote:Protect the whales. Their sound gives great pads. I use my JX for that. Much more portable than a whale.

Discrete circuitry was more unstable and more expensive than digital chips. And when the samplers machines came along and became affordable, they could sound CS, OB, P5 and ARP to 98% of human ears.

Sequential Circuits, Moog and Oberheim all closed their factories during 1986 and 1987. Then came the D-50, JV-1080, M1 and a zillion samplers and sequencers.

Analog death, digital high!

Now they are all together forcing us vintage freaks to make better music than what is out there today.

Give Dave Smith eternal life!
Don't forget that even our hero Dave Smith produced several well respected digital synths too (and before anyone suggests it - no I don't think that's what killed Sequential!!) - In fact I'm currently restoring a Prophet 2002 at the mo - thing is, he did it right by warming the crunchy DACs with 4 pole analog resonant filters and added a great stack function :) It's now in the land of the living today and I can say this thing sounds lovely - shame about the 25 rather dodgy front panel switches - seriously if anyone knows where I can find drop in replacements - please let me know...

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:20 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
seamonkey wrote:It was George Bush's fault! :twisted:
Read my lips: no new analogs!
LMAO..you made my day! =D>
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:30 pm

Totally off-topic.

I live in College Station, TX, the home of the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library. Pres. Bush the senior has a cute little apartment attached to the Library complex (which I've heard is decorated to look EXACTLY like his handful of other such apartments around the country so that we he'll always feel at home no matter which crib he's chillin' at). Nearly everyone around College Station has a Bush sighting story. I got my first last month during a holiday party for the local newspaper I write for. He, Barbara and two Secret Service agents were two tables from me. He's about as big around as a bean pole with an enormous melon on his shoulders. It's like he's a human bobble head doll. Creepy. I shoulda asked him about how he let the CIA club poor baby Minimoogs and OB-X's to death, only to replace them with FM and sampler h**l.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:48 pm

Analog synths are not as in demand as ROMpler workstation and are too expensive to R&D, build and sell.

Every few months or so, someone posts a thread here ragging on workstations and such. The big 3 (and others) are in it for the money. It's good for us vintage/analog synth nuts that we still have Dave Smith, Ken MacBeth, Moog Music and a few others (and hopefully soon, Tom Oberheim again).