why did they stop making analog synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Re: why did they stop making analog synths?

Post by 23 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:09 pm

wrekkstylz wrote:i think the day they stopped making analog synths like they used to is the day the world started going straight to h**l.

now while digital has it's uses and can even work well with analog in certain ways. digital just seems to have cheapened everything from sound quality to cable tv (superior sound and picture my a*s!).

sure digital synths can do a whole lot more, and have more sounds, etc. but all that comes at a price and that price is quality. more emphasis is put on quantity rather than quality, because it's more marketable and people are too stupid to really care or notice the difference, that or they've become accustomed to a lower quality s**t from stuffing their fat a*s faces with processed food and being spoonfed their unique sense of taste in music from clear channel.
As a fan of both digital and analogue synths, I really can't disagree more with you're sentiments on that digital comes at a price of sound quality.
For one, I just don't see a complex FM synth being feasible with analog. Aside from what would without doubt be an insane price to create, I personally consider "preciseness" to be a key factor to FM. That said, it is not just more cost effective, but also more efficient to work FM in a digital domain. Note that when I say "efficient" I mean that the final output quality will be more pristine, user specific, and within these constructs, "better".

As with the FM case, there are numerous other facets of digital methods that hold siginificant advantages over analog. This holds true for the subtractive synthesis domain and else.

If anything, one might argue that true analogue circuitry will always yield better results than physically modeled analogue methods (VA), as simple logic says "real thing will nail real results 100%".
Be that as it may, I hate to fathom what the cost of a 30 or 40+ voice analogue synth might be. Never mind a 80 or 100+ voice analogue poly (and that's not considering the engineering nightmare that would surely be).
Thus, if the quality of the VA can be brought to an "acceptable" level, VA may in fact be the more practical way to go and may even be capable of yielding results that users feel exhibit negligible differences from probable (discernible) "real" results.

Personally, the idea of creating and manipulating new sounds is what attracted me to and continues to be the most central factor in holding my interest in synthesis.
When dealing with sound design, I can't say I look at my synths (past or current) as "analogue" or "digital", but more so just within a vein as tools in a tool shop. "What do I want to accomplish and what are the most effective tools for the job?"

There's a good many of my synths which simply head into territory that analog fears to tread, and personally, I'd hate to imagine myself without those tools at my disposal.
Further, there's been a high amount of times where I've actually combined both worlds to get to one final end result. (something might be sampled from an analogue source, and then that raw sample used as a tonal source for further patch development on something digital for example).

I just really don't get all the hate that frequently exhibited towards digital.
I just don't get it at all.

I will have to confess, that between my analog and digital tools, I had to be completely robbed of one, I'd have to let my analog piece go. It truly is not any matter of me liking them any less than the digital tools (I don't), it's just as a sheer practical matter of "What's going to give me the most length on new timbral capability?"...
well, the digital tools end up winning in spades.
And like I said, the creation and manipulation of new sounds has always been my key interest in synthesis; and your argument falls apart in circumstances such as mine. As you are essentially saying that I'll end up with inferior quality with digital, but when the situation (which can be frequent) is one that deals with something that could have never been done with analog to begin with, how can that quality be inferior?

Again, I'm a fan of both and ultimately like neither more (it's like asking me if I prefer a fork or spoon)...
Or more so, I like either on a case by case basis.
That said, I think a h**l of a lot of the time analog is simply given more credit than it deserves.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:56 pm

nSCOURGE, I think you need to stay away from your Quandrasynth for a while...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 am

and 23 has to get away from his 303 for a while

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:12 am

I prefer the fork. :lol:
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:43 am

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:46 am

bakeded wrote:
23 wrote:(it's like asking me if I prefer a fork or spoon)...
I prefer a spork. Best of both worlds.
which is... what? spork = digital?

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:49 am

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 am

You know it's bad when even I am sick of the analog vs. digital s**t.
This conversation isn't about what is better, or whether either is better, it is about how the course of history played around the various types of synthesizers.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:04 am

OriginalJambo wrote:My head asplode.
Ohh f**k... !Laughing out loud!...Perfect response...
What da f**k did dat guy gust say :tard:

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:08 am

I usually find these threads amusing.. :P

Digital FM must be bad, mkay?
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:52 am

Never mind!
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 am

Okay chaps, this thread's starting to wobble a bit. It's not an analogue vs digital or fork vs spoon debate (one's been done to death, the other is ripe for debate but not in General Synths!) so let's remain on-topic please - why did they stop making analogue synths?
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 pm

As for the 'why it stopped', it's probably nothing more than the usual business arguments: money and market. The answer can be that simple, really.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 pm

They haven't stopped making analogue synths, well except for the big three (Korg, Roland & Yamaha)
and others that mass produce VA's

But small boutique companies and Modular makers are offering analogue synthesizers.

Analogue Solutions
Analogue Systems
Blacet
Cynthia (Cyndustries)
Doepfer
Ken Macbeth
MODCAN
MOTM
Serge
Synthesizers.com

and quite a few others...
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:46 pm

As others have pretty much laid out already, the reasons come down to fashion and economics. Yamaha leveraged its purchasing power and ability to sustain numerous (loss making) exploratory forays into digital synthesis to research and refine the technology while bringing it down to an acceptable price point. Once that ground had been broken it was easier for competitors to follow suit. Moore's Law works for synths too, after all.

Fashion took care of the rest: once it became de rigeur for a "professional" musician to use a DX-series synth, the appetite for analogue diminished. Those companies who were reliant on analogue synthesis suffered from the loss of economies of scale, making the price:performance ratios increasingly unacceptable to both hobbyists and working musicians. Add the fact that the main standard bearers for American analogue synthesis (Moog, ARP, etc.) were battered and bleeding coming out of the early '80s recession. This meant that those firms who potentially could've refined analogue synthesis further were going backrupt at an alarming rate.