Synths that drone

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Re: Synths that drone

Post by V301H » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:08 am

The ARP Odyssey is good for drones as well as other ARP's such as 2600 and Axxe.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:29 am

A6 - EG3 'Hold' function does it
Juno-6 - 'hold' does it...but it's not much of an FX synth
MS2000 - run the sequencer latched
LP - CV gate jack - sustains for a few minutes before gradually fading
Matrix1000 - LFO retrig as mentioned above, plus the EGs can go on for days
thingamagoop - turn it on, give it enough light and it's endless - at least until the 9v dies
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

desotoslo

Post by desotoslo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:33 am

i was once messin' w/ my alpha juno 1 and a bcr2000 and i tricked the synth intro creating this constantly revolving patch with a long sweeping drone through the harmonic series, back down to silence, and then back up again. it was so cool... i called the track "Stargazers". sorry that doesn't help at all, just thought i'd share th at nifty piece of synth luck :)

4SAKEN
Gear: DSI Evolver Desktop
Novation Xiosynth
Akai S900
Roland SPD-6
Roland MC-50
Roland MT-32

Post by 4SAKEN » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks for the info, it's really useful. This may be a factor in deciding which synth to purchase next.

I had some fleeting thoughts about sustain pedals but wasn't really aware of 'latching pedals', which shows how much of a keyboardist I am.... :lol: I think I may go down the DIY route - is it really as simple as just jack with toggle switch?? or is there something special I need to do?

cheers
Matt

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:52 pm

Not really what you asked for, but probably worth considering would be some form of looping device, as this would allow layering of different sounds.

I've had great fun with my DD-20 Giga Delay pedal and am starting to explore what can be done with an Electrix Repeater :)
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

4SAKEN
Gear: DSI Evolver Desktop
Novation Xiosynth
Akai S900
Roland SPD-6
Roland MC-50
Roland MT-32

Post by 4SAKEN » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Yeah I can do a similar thing on my KP3 laying samples, and do that often when improvising. Sometimes I wish it were longer than 16 bars, but I can set it at a low tempo to maximise the sample time as a lot of my music is often structureless. The only thing that can be annoying is sometimes it's audible when the sample restarts, but usually in a sea of white noise, feeback and distortion you dont hear it :lol:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

4SAKEN wrote:Yeah I can do a similar thing on my KP3 laying samples, and do that often when improvising. Sometimes I wish it were longer than 16 bars, but I can set it at a low tempo to maximise the sample time as a lot of my music is often structureless. The only thing that can be annoying is sometimes it's audible when the sample restarts, but usually in a sea of white noise, feeback and distortion you dont hear it :lol:
i hate this digital click too that appears when sampling and looping. annoying with patches with lots of release....

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:01 pm

samplers

not realy a synth but most sampler can loop, use an audio file that you stretch to the max add fx and voila. GAS cut just above the root :lol:
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Emefak

Post by Emefak » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:18 pm

I have a ZVex Fuzz Factory DIY clone that drones like a nâzgul!! :mrgreen:

But it's "a bit" noisy to use it like a fuzz...

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Emefak wrote:I have a ZVex Fuzz Factory DIY clone that drones like a nâzgul!! :mrgreen:

But it's "a bit" noisy to use it like a fuzz...
somebody makes a DIY clone of a Zvex Fuzz Factory? i haven't heard of such a thing before. do you have any more details?

i don't know if i'd call what comes out of Zvex Fuzz Factory, a drone. maybe just 'noise' (microphonics?)?

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:56 pm

My favorite synth for making drones is the Clavia Nord Modular, because of the ability to define and modulate shifting harmonics, detuning, feedback loops, random control signals, pattern sequencers, and logic-based determinants.

The Korg OASYS PCI is well-suited for drones because it has so many synthesis models that are suited for such tonalities - the primary ones being physical models that allow for particle cloud, stochastic, sympathetic resonance, formant, scrape, etc., synthesis. The minutes-worth of delay time with feedback, saturation, and filtering also allow for some incredible drone textures.

The Roland SH-2 VCA can be set to drone - which works a treat when you put some analog pedals between the headphone output and the analog input. it works quite well when one of those pedals is an overdriven Space Echo.

The Cyndustries Zeroscillator is a wonderful source of drones when it set to interact with another in a feedback network.

The Eventide H8000FW can be an excellent source of drones, as it can take incoming audio and repitch, recirculate, and reorder it on whatever level of temporal granularity you desire - even to the point of extending a few seconds of input to minutes of output - all with formant-corrected diatonic harmonicity - or not.

cheers,
Ian

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:21 pm

I have owned many bizarre droning/pad/ambience digital synths, sold most all of them, and still turn to my microKorg for drones everytime.

Nord micromodular, tape, and creative use of samplers are all great ideas as well.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Arturo00
Gear: @}-,-`-
Band: Hard Science

Post by Arturo00 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:34 pm

The Multimoog and Micromoog actually have a "Drone" setting in the VCO section.
Haves: SCI Prophet 5 rev3.3 Moog Multimoog Roland Jupiter4, Juno60, RE201, SH101, TR707, TR808, TR909 Korg Polysix, Poly 800 II, Kaosillator Hammond L112, X5 w/ Leslie 760 Paia Fatman Casio VL-Tone, SK1 Gakken SX-150

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:40 pm

The SCI Pro One has a drone switch and the Yamaha CS-15 amplifiers allow you to turn up the gain to open the final gate if that is how you might word that.

Modular synths will give you a Droner : )

wildstar
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Virus TI2, PC3K6, Ultra E4XT, Nord Lead 3

Post by wildstar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:56 pm

widdly wrote: Or if you are DIY inclined, just solder a toggle switch to a 1/4" plug and use that instead.
That's hot. Simple. Brilliant. Love it.
"Asteroids do not concern me."