Synths that drone

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Synths that drone

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Joey wrote:the microkorg/ms2000 can drone by using the arpeggiator, simply activate all the steps and set it to gate mode, instant drone
Its also fun to have the latch the arp and then proceed to have delay synced to midi clock. After this is done ramp the up the attack and release times of the amp envelop while turning bpm all the way down. By then playing with the bpm knob you can get some pretty wacked out stuff.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:50 am

most synths can be set to sustain indefinitely, one way or another. question is which sound "nice" n interesting enough while doing so. my choice would be the following:

a friends Formant modular is phenomenal for spacey long organic drones. think Jupiter that started mutating soon to explode into a new sun... and you are getting away in a space ship as quickly as you can ..

my Andromeda works great with low, ominous bass, octaves BP sweeps etc.. but Prophet 5 rev2 is probably unmathced by anything else i got. incredibly alive, even with simplest of sounds - press the key, put some tape on it to hold :) ... pour yourself coffee, lite a smoke.. and never have a dull moment.

on digital side, MW1 and XT can be set to transform slowly each in its own way. filter, wavescan etc.. esp on chords its great. but XT works here only if helped a little by a space echo or something eventide, for additional pulsation and um.. humanization?

for mid/hi pitched drone sounds, OBXA w low cutoff & very high resonance, gets almost vocal like, with VCA overdriving n saturating like h**l. very scary sound.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:57 am

4SAKEN wrote:is it really as simple as just jack with toggle switch??
yup.

a sustain pedal is basically just a really nice switch with a 1/4" cord attached.

Emefak

Post by Emefak » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:01 am

SubliminalEffect wrote:
Emefak wrote:I have a ZVex Fuzz Factory DIY clone that drones like a nâzgul!! :mrgreen:

But it's "a bit" noisy to use it like a fuzz...
somebody makes a DIY clone of a Zvex Fuzz Factory? i haven't heard of such a thing before. do you have any more details?

i don't know if i'd call what comes out of Zvex Fuzz Factory, a drone. maybe just 'noise' (microphonics?)?
As far as i know the FF has some kind of "oscillation" capabilities, I don't know if it can be called drone. I can tell you, that when you lower the "Stab" poti and increase the "Drive" one, the pedal makes like a basic square sustained sound. Also, playing with the rest of controls ("Gate" & "Comp"), you can modify the pitch of the sound. Add some delay & reverb, and you will be amused for a while :wink:

And my FF clone was made by a friend of mine from a spanish guitar forum (I'm from Spain, sorry about my pathetic English... :mrgreen: ). But the ZVex fuzz and drive boxes (Fuzz Factory, Wooly Mammoth, Box of Rock, etc...) are pretty simple to do for anyone who knows how to catch a soldering iron. Or that's what I've heard.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:42 pm

essential drone effect : self-oscillating analog delay device.

I use an MXR BBD pedal("Carbon Copy") and it's wonderful.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

4SAKEN
Gear: DSI Evolver Desktop
Novation Xiosynth
Akai S900
Roland SPD-6
Roland MC-50
Roland MT-32

Post by 4SAKEN » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:34 pm

pflosi wrote:
i hate this digital click too that appears when sampling and looping. annoying with patches with lots of release....
yep incredibly. Probably the single most annoying thing when jamming and building up tracks on the KP3 :(

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Joey wrote:the microkorg/ms2000 can drone by using the arpeggiator, simply activate all the steps and set it to gate mode, instant drone
oo

Same can be done with an Electribe: activate all of the steps, swell the delay, play with cutoff and resonance, click on the distortion, add ring mod, synch, or cross mod . . . I make wall-of-sound drones in this way to fill up the spaces and soften the edges surrounding my spare orchestrations.

oo.
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:10 pm

the ion can if you set up the envelope loops the right way.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

4SAKEN
Gear: DSI Evolver Desktop
Novation Xiosynth
Akai S900
Roland SPD-6
Roland MC-50
Roland MT-32

Post by 4SAKEN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:07 am

So to summarise:

Nord lead/Modular
Korg Microkorg/MS2000/MonoPoly/MS20/OASYS PCI/Electribe
Oberheim Matrix 6/6r/12/1000/xa
Moog Voyager/Littlle Phatty/Multimoog/Micromoog
Alesis Andromeda/Ion
Ensoniq Fizmo
Roland SH-101/Jupiter4/SH-2
Elektron Monomachine
Octave CAT
Polivoks
EMS Synthi A/ VCS3
EML 101
Sequential Circuits Prophet 10/Pro-One
Arp Odyssey/Axxe/2600
Thingamagoop
Cyndustries Zeroscillator
Eventide H8000FW
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Yamaha CS-15
Waldorf Microwave 1/XT

Sellotape. :D
Latching sustain pedal/jack switch.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:36 am

Emefak wrote:And my FF clone was made by a friend of mine from a spanish guitar forum (I'm from Spain, sorry about my pathetic English... :mrgreen: ). But the ZVex fuzz and drive boxes (Fuzz Factory, Wooly Mammoth, Box of Rock, etc...) are pretty simple to do for anyone who knows how to catch a soldering iron. Or that's what I've heard.
Yep, there's seriously about 6-7 components in my Zvex Vexter FF. Still, one of my favourite little toys.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:29 pm

piRoN wrote:
Emefak wrote:And my FF clone was made by a friend of mine from a spanish guitar forum (I'm from Spain, sorry about my pathetic English... :mrgreen: ). But the ZVex fuzz and drive boxes (Fuzz Factory, Wooly Mammoth, Box of Rock, etc...) are pretty simple to do for anyone who knows how to catch a soldering iron. Or that's what I've heard.
Yep, there's seriously about 6-7 components in my Zvex Vexter FF. Still, one of my favourite little toys.

WOW. if there's a schemo somewhere on how to DIY your own Wooly Mamooth (which sound i adore on synths), or FF, i'd LOVE to know about it !!!!!

im not good with solder, but have my tech that fixes n build s all kind of stuff for me..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:39 pm

hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:54 pm

i've never met a synth that couldn't drone aka make boring drawn out sounds.
"no one on Facebook is looking for anything except for a way to tell you how great their fat kids are."

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:14 am

I used to think drones were boring too...until the day I ran the MS-20 through two long delays, phaser, and chorus and managed to listen to the thing drone for like three hours.

Add the Korg 770 to the list of droners. Sweeping the filters with one LFO and using the other LFO on the chorus oscillator is very rewarding.

gd

Post by gd » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:37 am

add the Korg Radias and Prophet 08 to the list.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...