Old Virus, Old Nord, for that matter all "Old" versions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Old Virus, Old Nord, for that matter all "Old" versions

Post by Solderman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:45 am

nSCOURGE wrote:
Solderman wrote:And since we're talking VA here, anyone A/B a Nord Lead 2 to DiscoDSP Discovery 2? Last time I played the VST, it sounded much smoother than a Nord to me.
Yikes! :shock:
Couldn't disagree more.
Well the vst certainly sounds like a*s in that video. I just remember getting smooth sounds out of it. Can't recall if the patches I played had cutoff set low or not. I tossed it because it uses a ridiculous amount of CPU.
Back on topic, I always thought the NL2 sounded like a Jupiter 6. Too bright for me, I crave the warmth.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:26 pm

the 2x nord lead is a wonderful synth that takes to effects really well. beautifullly harsh filter. wonderful digital crunchiness!

as for virii, i've played an A and a TI. the ti is smoother sounding but that takes little away from the a's versatility (with obviously the ti being smoother sounding still).

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live

fastfwdd

Post by fastfwdd » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:13 pm

How big is the difference in sound between a Nord lead 1 and the 2x? Do they sound very similar or is there a noticeable difference? I know the controls are almost the same but I have heard different things about the sound. I am torn between these two models...

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:19 pm

Joey wrote:the nord 3 has a sort of permanent bite to it, almost a distortion

the 2 is much cleaner sounding...
Interesting - anecdotal reports always seem to indicate the reverse of this, i.e., the NL2 has the bite and grit, but the NL3 has the clean digismoothness.

I like both flavors. If I had the spare coin, I'd enjoy having a NL3. That said, I do not, so I will enjoy the flavor of my Nord Modular.

cheers,
Ian

deathbycubicle
Gear: machinedrum uw mk ii
nord lead 3

Post by deathbycubicle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:59 pm

aeon wrote:
Joey wrote:the nord 3 has a sort of permanent bite to it, almost a distortion

the 2 is much cleaner sounding...
Interesting - anecdotal reports always seem to indicate the reverse of this, i.e., the NL2 has the bite and grit, but the NL3 has the clean digismoothness.
I don't have an NL2x, but I have an NL3, and use it daily. I disagree with the statement that there is some kind of permanent bite to the sound. You can certainly make it sound that way via FM, or by using distortion as an OSC mod, or by using the single filter option that adds distortion. The NL3 can be quite piercing. However, just do a regular INIT on a patch, and listen to the raw waveforms. I don't really hear this bite...if anything, the synth is TOO clean sounding...