Taking the SE1X plunge!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Philly Stress

Taking the SE1X plunge!

Post by Philly Stress » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:32 pm

So I had to sell my Moog Little Phatty a month ago. I'm slowly going to built my studio back up and one of the first thing I'm of getting is a Studio Electronic SE1x to replace my Moog LP. I Know I won't have the arpeggiator of The stage II (I had the Trubute Edition anyway) but I here so much good stuff about the Studio I'm thing it's worth the investment. Now SE told me a KEYBOARD version of the SE1x will be coming out late this year. Howeverr I' m not going to wait because it will probably be out my price range anyway. Any thoughts?
JoMoX Mbase01

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Re: Taking the SE1X plunge!

Post by johans121 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:02 am

I think the SE1X is a great sounding synth. VERY aggressive/gritty/punchy. I'm surprised that people here don't talk about them more. I personally think the SE1X is much better sounding than the Little Phatty - plus it doesn't have that ridiculous name.

Regarding the keyboard version... well, if you do most of your programming&sequencing at your computer, I'd say stick with the rack. I personally prefer expanded interfaces (keys, knobs, buttons, etc - the more the merrier), however I got a buddy who does just about everything via his computer, soooooo whatever works for you, works for you.

Also, I've seen SE1X's sell for pretty cheap on the bay lately, so I think you can't really go wrong if you have to spend your money on another synth. If something were to happen to my pro-one, I would probably replace it with the keyboard version of the SE1X (or the xfactor if that thing ever gets released).

-Jim
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:04 am

Philly Stress wrote:Now SE told me a KEYBOARD version of the SE1x will be coming out late this year.
wat

I totally dig the SE-1x btw. A lot nicer than the LP, imHo, and I even like the Little Phatty name!

- CM

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:07 am

Philly Stress wrote:Now SE told me a KEYBOARD version of the SE1x will be coming out late this year. Howeverr I' m not going to wait because it will probably be out my price range anyway. Any thoughts?
this is the best news i've heard n a long while =D> , i hope it materializes. all i can say, i fall into camp of ppl who strongly prefer the sound of SE to current moog products.

this just might be my ideal mono. if it comes out. i never opted for the rack, cause i need a keyboard for leads when gigging. i was close to picking multimoog for this purpose.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Philly Stress

Post by Philly Stress » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:13 am

How are the filter on SE1x?/ I've heard the have been issues with stepping? Is this true?
JoMoX Mbase01

Philly Stress

Post by Philly Stress » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:18 am

johans121 wrote:
Regarding the keyboard version... well, if you do most of your programming&sequencing at your computer, I'd say stick with the rack. I personally prefer expanded interfaces (keys, knobs, buttons, etc - the more the merrier),

I prefer sequencing via the Akai MPC.
JoMoX Mbase01

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:37 am

Philly Stress wrote:How are the filter on SE1x?/ I've heard the have been issues with stepping? Is this true?
The SE-1x filters are juicy! :D I had one on loan for a few weeks, can't recall any steppiness. I'm pretty sure it was the older SE-1 that had the poorly quantized filter knob.

- CM

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:39 am

Philly Stress wrote:I've heard the have been issues with stepping? Is this true?
Carey M wrote:I'm pretty sure it was the older SE-1 that had the poorly quantized filter knob.
Like Carey said, I believe that the issue was the encoder translation for the filter, that could be fixed with an update/upgrade.

I've got a SE1-X Red Eye, mates got a SE1. I think it was only an issue with the knob, as opposed to sending midi (or vice versa). I'll try and compare next time I talk to him.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:58 am

Any pictures of the keyboard version/prototype?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Philly Stress

Post by Philly Stress » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:42 am

Rusty O'Hara wrote:
I've got a SE1-X Red Eye

How is the Red Eye different from the SE1x? Please go into detail!
JoMoX Mbase01

Philly Stress

Post by Philly Stress » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:57 am

otto wrote:Any pictures of the keyboard version/prototype?
Nope. I got this piece of info from SE themselves.
JoMoX Mbase01

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:16 am

clusterchord wrote:
Philly Stress wrote:Now SE told me a KEYBOARD version of the SE1x will be coming out late this year. Howeverr I' m not going to wait because it will probably be out my price range anyway. Any thoughts?
this is the best news i've heard n a long while =D> , i hope it materializes. all i can say, i fall into camp of ppl who strongly prefer the sound of SE to current moog products.
I'm in that camp too. I won't say either Moog or Studio Electronics is better, they are just different flavours of the hign end analog. Can't go wrong with either, but I love my ATC-Xi. If they made a keyboard of that, I'd buy immediately. But SE making a keyboard version of the SE1X is great news. That will be awesome. I've now learned from buuying gear that I like keyboards better than racks, but only in the 37 key range. I don't like big keyboards because they are in fact too big to take around. I could have tons of 37 key synths, but I have to limit my 61 keyboards, of which I only have one.

I was wondering if they would ever do this and make keyboard versions. Awesome!
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

phoenix224

Post by phoenix224 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:43 pm

Philly Stress wrote:
Rusty O'Hara wrote:
I've got a SE1-X Red Eye

How is the Red Eye different from the SE1x? Please go into detail!
I just picked up the SE-1X Angel Dust from Nova Musik a couple of weeks ago. I was considering a Moog Voyager, but decided to take a chance on the SE-1X. Turns out it was the right move. The SE-1X has become the centerpiece of my studio. It's great for deep basses. I'm also getting some nice leads out of it that really cut through a mix.

The Angel Dust and Red Eye are the same, they just have different faceplates. Compared to the original SE-1X, there is a sine wave generator on Osc 2 (instead of triangle), an overdrive/distortion switch, and a couple extra banks of sounds. The sine wave is worth getting, and the overdrive is great. As of last week, Nova Musik had the Angel Dust/Red Eye on sale for $1599, which is a great deal.

BTW, there is no filter stepping on the SE-1X. Good luck!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:09 am

stikygum wrote: If they made a keyboard of that (ATC-Xi), I'd buy immediately.
me too, me too. :mrgreen:

i hate analog in a rack, esp mono. gimme 37 keys, and lotta knobs.. [-o<

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:36 am

I wonder if we can get a petition together on this forum for an ATC-Xi keyboard and send it to SE. :idea: :D

It's obvious the SE-1X has been the bigger seller (or at least I would think from this key version coming), but the ATC is just Oh so sweet. To me it is truely unique. I haven't heard many other analogs sound as greasy and oozing warmth as it does.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse