Taking the SE1X plunge!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rusty O'Hara

Re: Taking the SE1X plunge!

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:54 am

Philly Stress wrote:
Rusty O'Hara wrote:
I've got a SE1-X Red Eye
How is the Red Eye different from the SE1x? Please go into detail!
I think Pheonix2224 pretty much nailed it.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 am

phoenix224 wrote:
Philly Stress wrote:How is the Red Eye different from the SE1x? Please go into detail!
I just picked up the SE-1X Angel Dust from Nova Musik a couple of weeks ago. I was considering a Moog Voyager, but decided to take a chance on the SE-1X. Turns out it was the right move. The SE-1X has become the centerpiece of my studio. It's great for deep basses. I'm also getting some nice leads out of it that really cut through a mix.

The Angel Dust and Red Eye are the same, they just have different faceplates. Compared to the original SE-1X, there is a sine wave generator on Osc 2 (instead of triangle), an overdrive/distortion switch, and a couple extra banks of sounds. The sine wave is worth getting, and the overdrive is great.
isnt this version supposd to have an upgraded, faster envelope or something like that ?

EDIT: oh, and another quesiton for SE-1/X users... can you route VCO to Filter, i.e. do filter fm ? and is it possible to do VCO fm, or in roland-terminology, cross-modulation and govern its intensity by envelope ?

Last edited by clusterchord on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:24 pm

I am happy to see so many guys who have good ears still.
SE makes true analog synths, bottom line.
That sound hasn't been emulated and I doubt it ever will.
I prefer Solaris as a polyphonic synth because it's sound chartacter is very analog, and can do textures that analog synths cannot do such as Wavetable, Vector, Sample Oscillators and Rotor mixing, etc.
But when it comes to the meat & potatoes of Bass & Lead I cannot get rid of my SE-1's, and actually plan on the upgrade to the SE-1X on one of them.
An 8 voice Omega or Code must be quite amazing.
At the end of the day, this powerful sound is from circuits, and DSP synths can do mid range emulations very well, the power and beauty of the highest and lowest ranges belongs to analog, hands down.
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91
Studio Electronics Synths
Creamware ASB B4000 w/ Pro3t Rotary

cl516

Post by cl516 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:09 pm

EDIT: oh, and another quesiton for SE-1/X users... can you route VCO to Filter, i.e. do filter fm ? and is it possible to do VCO fm, or in roland-terminology, cross-modulation and govern its intensity by envelope ?
this is my second time around owning the SE-1X -
no, sadly, i don't think either forms of FM are available.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 pm

I have owned the SE-1, SE-1x, SE-1x Nova Edition, Atc-x, Omega 2 and I have sold them all. All the patch storage and midi control in the world won't make up for lack of punch and rawness I get with other analog synths. They do sound good on a mix tho and seem to fit in well with other instruments better than a moog which tends to take up a lot of any mix, but in the end I don't like them.

The filters on all se gear steps like an escher painting on a bad acid trip, LOTS OF STEPPING! If you don't hear stepping you need to get your ears checked seriously it's THE worst I've heard on any analog synth. The se-1 original is worse than the se-1x but the se-1x is not smooth unless you have low resonance, also the moog filter is very weak sounding I think compared to the little phatty filter, the oberheim style is ok and definitely makes the se-1x more versatile.

Even the glide is steppy! you can't do ultra smooth gangsta whistles. :(

On the two se-1x I've owned, the osc frequency knobs have a major problem that often it will skip over a number, like you want it tuned to 28 and it goes 24, 25, 26, 27, 29! Then you go backwards and it skips back over 28 still! I find this very very frustrating just like the jomox encoders, also the frequency of the oscs are stepped, meaning you can only fine tune them by using the menu! That sucks for using the ring mod, like on my ms-20 I can tune osc 2 ring mod all over the place until I get it right.

Then you have punchiness issue, this is much better on the nova or red eye version, but still terrible! You absolutely can't do decent synth drum sounds and I don't think that any midi/patch storage synth will ever do drums sounds like a non midi cv synth (other than the new moogs)

I probably won't ever buy SE gear again because I feel like I'm much better off just using non midi gear that has decent filters and punchy envelopes and better oscs. I really really tried hard to like SE gear and have bought most of their synth products but they always leave me disappointed big time. Great for r&B or hip hop but that's about it.
for sale/trade: EML-101

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:16 am

clusterchord wrote:
stikygum wrote: If they made a keyboard of that (ATC-Xi), I'd buy immediately.
me too, me too. :mrgreen:

i hate analog in a rack, esp mono. gimme 37 keys, and lotta knobs.. [-o<
off topic: this from the guy whose demos gave me (as yet unsatiated) mks-80 GAS! thanks a lot, jack!

:x #-o :)

(although you DID say, "esp mono"...)

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:51 am

nadafarms wrote:The filters on all se gear steps like an escher painting on a bad acid trip, LOTS OF STEPPING!
How the h**l did they mess this up and how did not anyone notice this yet?
Huh. This is something I expect from sample-based synths - and even those don't have much of an excuse. The Korg Triton had this, so did the Kurzweil K2600 - but E-mu and Roland had this solved already in the Vintage Keys and JV/XP machines.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:25 pm

During my time with the SE-1X, I never noticed the portamento being quantized. Though I never did any six octave superglides. I also haven't noticed my Omega having quantized portamento.

- CM

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:08 am

My SE1X is my (Not so much) secret weapon. I love the thing. Like others have mentioned it is really punchy. I found this especially truthful when working with fifths. A lot of fun.

Philly Stress

Post by Philly Stress » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:59 am

nadafarms wrote:I have owned the SE-1, SE-1x, SE-1x Nova Edition, Atc-x, Omega 2 and I have sold them all. All the patch storage and midi control in the world won't make up for lack of punch and rawness I get with other analog synths. They do sound good on a mix tho and seem to fit in well with other instruments better than a moog which tends to take up a lot of any mix, but in the end I don't like them.

The filters on all se gear steps like an escher painting on a bad acid trip, LOTS OF STEPPING! If you don't hear stepping you need to get your ears checked seriously it's THE worst I've heard on any analog synth. The se-1 original is worse than the se-1x but the se-1x is not smooth unless you have low resonance, also the moog filter is very weak sounding I think compared to the little phatty filter, the oberheim style is ok and definitely makes the se-1x more versatile.

On the two se-1x I've owned, the osc frequency knobs have a major problem that often it will skip over a number, like you want it tuned to 28 and it goes 24, 25, 26, 27, 29! Then you go backwards and it skips back over 28 still! I find this very very frustrating just like the jomox encoders, also the frequency of the oscs are stepped, meaning you can only fine tune them by using the menu! That sucks for using the ring mod, like on my ms-20 I can tune osc 2 ring mod all over the place until I get it right.

Then you have punchiness issue, this is much better on the nova or red eye version, but still terrible! You absolutely can't do decent synth drum sounds and I don't think that any midi/patch storage synth will ever do drums sounds like a non midi cv synth (other than the new moogs)

I probably won't ever buy SE gear again because I feel like I'm much better off just using non midi gear that has decent filters and punchy envelopes and better oscs. I really really tried hard to like SE gear and have bought most of their synth products but they always leave me disappointed big time. Great for r&B or hip hop but that's about it.

Stron claims Nada farms,strong claims.....
JoMoX Mbase01

jp8080

Post by jp8080 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:28 am

I have an atc-xi and don't notice any stepping at all.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:43 pm

clusterchord wrote: EDIT: oh, and another quesiton for SE-1/X users... can you route VCO to Filter, i.e. do filter fm ? and is it possible to do VCO fm, or in roland-terminology, cross-modulation and govern its intensity by envelope ?

IIRC, there's no filter FM in the SE1x. Cross modulation can be found in SE's two-oscillator synths, while the SE offers ring modulation.
Yours,
Niall.

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 am

I've been considering an SE-1 for a while, but I'm worried about servicing it. I couldn't get any reply from SE about schematics or service manuals for there stuff, and it seems they're the only people fixing their own stuff. It's not a must, but I feel a lot better owning gear that I can learn inside and out if anything should ever break.

goldenera92

Post by goldenera92 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:36 am

Anybody have any experience with the ATC-X? How does it stack up to the SE?

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:56 am

I have the ATC-Xi and it's great. Actually I should post some sound clips of the Xi version. I was going to do that and had too much stuff going on this past year. The Xi is a step up from the X for sure. I love them both, but the Xi is the one to get for snappier env., patch editing via midi is enabled now and the Sine wave is added to the Osc waves. Another big plus for me is that it is a polar white face. I really didn't like the old blue one with red, it kind of bothered me for some reason. Have you guys seen on the SE website how they show a ATC-X in orange? I don't understand why they keep that up there. I like the orange (below) better and don't know why they didn't produce that one, it's so much better looking. I should write SE. Oh and another important difference is the bigger knob on the Xi is like a Moog Source knob and feels great and is easier to grab.

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products_atc1-atcx.php

BTW, the SE website is one of the worst kept ones. Looks cool, but it's SOOOOOOOOO outdated. I think the last time they probably touched that site was about 7 years ago, besides posting updates on sound banks. They don't even have the Red Eye or Angel Dust on there. Didn't check for the Code.

Anyways, I love the sound of the ATC, much different sound than a SE-1X. A good way to describe it is more greasy and techy sounding. It have a liquid analog tone to it and sounds very warm. The Distortion can make it sound much rawer. It's a great synth and it's one I will not sell because I use it so much.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse