Taking the SE1X plunge!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cl516

Re: Taking the SE1X plunge!

Post by cl516 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Here's my quick side by side comparison between the SE-1X and the Voyager to hear how hey sound.

http://cl516.blogspot.com/2009/05/moog- ... cs-se.html

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sat May 16, 2009 4:27 am

Cool thread.

I bought both an SE-1x (from a user here on the board) and an ATC-X with the intention of comparing them to the Voyager and selling all but one. Now I'm stuck because both the SE-1x and ATC-X sound so good and yet very different. I'm enjoying the ATC-X much more than I thought I would. I might upgrade it to the ATC-Xi. What a cool synth.

If they made a keyboard version of either... I'd be there.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:20 am

stikygum wrote:I like the orange (below) better and don't know why they didn't produce that one, it's so much better looking.
They did. I have one.

ATC-x. Thinking about upgrading to the ATC-xi, but keeping the orange face.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:29 pm

Really....! I never see the orange one anywhere, but that pic on their site, which looks fake. I wonder why they went with blue. Wonder how many oranges were made?

So you're thinking about having yours modded then. For some reason I didn't like looking at the blue face, that's just me though. I like my white face ATC-Xi and like the orange ATCX. It's nice to have sine as well as the mini vca.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Yeah, the white is slick. The blue is okay... probably looks better in person. I do like the orange, though. Here's a pic.

The Xi options seem pretty cool.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Fixed the pic link.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:55 am

The orange is a keeper, Like it! One aesthetic improvement in the Xi knob is a Moog Source type knob and feels really good.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:08 am

The knob on the ATC-x feels pretty good. You're saying the Xi feels better? Cool!

I got the ATC-x from Noisebug on special. They used to be a Studio Electronics dealer but are not anymore for one reason or another. They found that orange ATC-x in the warehouse, never opened. Got it for $900. It's a bit expensive considering I've seen them go for around $500 on eBay used, but for brand new in the box and the orange... I just had to go for it! :)

By the way, I emailed Greg St. Regis and asked about the possibility of a keyboard version of the SE-1x or ATC-x and he simply replied with "You never know what we're cooking up." Hmmmmm....

If they made a keyboard version of the ATC, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:17 am

b3groover wrote:
If they made a keyboard version of the ATC, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
That's what I'm thinking too. Though I've already gotten so used to the ATC-Xi interface, but knobs would be nice to have on the key version. For a new one, I would've gone for the orange too then =P~

lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:15 am

I've owned the ATC-X (midiminiafied at the factory) for a few years now. Love, love, love it. Great sounding synth, and I would definitely purchase a knobby keyboard version, if one were to be released.

Kinda curious, since a few of you here have them, which filters are your favorite? I really like the Ob and 2600 filters, and never touch the Moog or 303.

Request for the kbd version: slower lfo rates, and option to replace 303 vcf with cs80 vcf.

Thanks.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:23 am

My fav is definitely the 2600. Next up would be the Moog (probably because it's so familiar) then the OB and then the 303. I rarely use the 303. I agree that replacing it with a CS80 style would be much more useable.

I think a keyboard version with the same basic "Moog Source" style layout that the rack has would be cool.

atticus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by atticus » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:41 am

Are there any good ATC demos anywhere? Everything I've ever heard coming out of it has been lovely and I think it has to be my next big purchase.
Bugbrand Modular, MFB Synth II, Roland Juno 1, Roland JD-990, Novation Supernova, Jomox Airbase, Roland SH-09, Roland HS-60, Mac & Logic

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:31 am

Besides what you've probably already heard via the Studio Electronics site, no there aren't any good demos. But if you like the snippets you've heard, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:47 am

cl516 wrote:Here's my quick side by side comparison between the SE-1X and the Voyager to hear how hey sound.

http://cl516.blogspot.com/2009/05/moog- ... cs-se.html
I know this is an old post, but thanks for posting these. It was interesting for me to listen to these.

I will admit that a big contributing factor on why I originally chose the Voyager RME over the SE stuff, was its looks. A bit superficial, but in both cases it would have been still quite a lot of money put on a synth.

harness
Gear: stuff

Post by harness » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:31 am

b3groover wrote:If they made a keyboard version of the ATC, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
That would be sweet, like a Moog Source on steroids. I got a blue ATC-X and I love it. I was thinking about sending it in for an Xi upgrade, though I'm wonder if I really NEED it, its great as it is. Is the sine wave and other extras really worth it?
Yamaha RS7000, Akai S3000XL, E-MU E4XT Ultra, Access Virus Rack XL, Roland MKS 70, Future Retro 777, Studio Electronics ATC-X, Kurzweil PC361