Ensoniq ESQ1 voice problems like Juno and Poly ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jexus

Ensoniq ESQ1 voice problems like Juno and Poly ?

Post by Jexus » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 pm

take a listen

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/esq1f.mp3

can you hear the difference in cutoff value in every fourth note ?

I'm playing double notes here, so it's every fourth. If I played in a normal way, every 8th would sound "bad".

So... bad old chip going to die like in Juno106, or do I just need to reset/calibrate something ?

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Re: Ensoniq ESQ1 voice problems like Juno and Poly ?

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:41 pm

If you hold down the 'Record' button and press 'Filter', it should take you to the filter tuning menu - give that a try.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:37 pm

yo

the maual doesn't say anything
the ESQ resource page [ http://www.josaka.com/Content/Glossary-of-Terms/c.htm ] is dead
and when I do that trick all I see is a frozen "filter tuning" message on my ESQ1 LCD
and I have to power off the machine

"to tune the filters:while holding down the record button,press the filter button. the following message will appear:"FILTER TUNING".filter tuning can take several seconds.the filter tuning is complete when values for all eight filters are displayed.press any button to continue. "

seems like something's wrong...

is there any manual way of tuning the filters? like... VRs on the circuit board?

another quote:
"the ESQ-1's flaws are actually it's major feature... and it's quite easy to reproduce these flaws in software). But even the filters sound very close. However The SQ-8L seems noticeably brighter than my ESQ-1... the filter tuning doesn't match -- but on this 20 year old ESQ-1, even it's own filters don't exactly match each other anymore... they've all drifted some."

So how many of you have the same issue with your old boards?

solderguy

Post by solderguy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Owned two ESQ-1s and used them quite a bit. In the first unit the filters were all within 3 or 4 increments of each other ( before and after the filter tune routine ). The 2nd unit was similar except one filter was initially about 10 increments off from the othetrs. The filter tune routine brought it closer to the other filters, but took about 30 seconds to run. I also thought it had locked up.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:12 am

are you going to post a video showing me how i fail at ruling the esq-1? :(

:)
w00t

memo

Post by memo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:59 am

The CEM3379 filter/amp chips can go out. I've replaced them before - extremely easy. Just open it up, pop out the offending chip, and then you're done.

I'm fairly certain that it plays through each voice in order when you first boot up the ESQ-1. So you figure out which voice is bad, and the chips are on the right hand side of the circuit board going from 1-8 down.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:40 am

memo wrote:The CEM3379 filter/amp chips can go out. I've replaced them before - extremely easy. Just open it up, pop out the offending chip, and then you're done.

I'm fairly certain that it plays through each voice in order when you first boot up the ESQ-1. So you figure out which voice is bad, and the chips are on the right hand side of the circuit board going from 1-8 down.
Yep. Found one. Quite pricey. Like 100x the price of the Polysix chip first going bad after batt leakage.
Since you guys say it's fairly common that the filters vary, I think I'm gonna leave it as it is right now, it's not getting on my nerves. If it dies or starts causing real differnce in sound, that'll be time to replace.

JayEm wrote:are you going to post a video showing me how i fail at ruling the esq-1? :(

Who, me?
Definitely :D My purpose is to demo all the synths I have. But I don't think I've seen your video. Drop me the URL.
cheers

ps. Is it a natural feature of the ESQ1 that the low sounds [keys in the left side of the keyboard] sound "muffled" ?
Apart from that, sounds quite similar to Akai AX80. But I gather it's natural since it has waves instead of DCOs.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:00 am

Jexus wrote:ps. Is it a natural feature of the ESQ1 that the low sounds [keys in the left side of the keyboard] sound "muffled" ?
Apart from that, sounds quite similar to Akai AX80. But I gather it's natural since it has waves instead of DCOs.
Well, some of the sounds probably will, depending on which octave the oscs are set to. Bass sounds (for instance the SYNBAZ preset) will have a very chopped (or perhaps muffled) sound. I guess that's because of the waves, yes. Some sort of low-end aliasing issue.

From my own experience, when I tuned one of the oscs down an octave on the MIXED choir preset, it made the bottom octave completely unusable (it sounded like a choir of synchronised belching drunkards). However, everything above the second C on the board produced a sound not too far removed from a Mellotron.... but that's my ears.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:46 am

Jexus wrote:
memo wrote:
JayEm wrote:are you going to post a video showing me how i fail at ruling the esq-1? :(

Who, me?
Definitely :D My purpose is to demo all the synths I have. But I don't think I've seen your video. Drop me the URL.
cheers

ps. Is it a natural feature of the ESQ1 that the low sounds [keys in the left side of the keyboard] sound "muffled" ?
I have no videos.
I prefer to watch others :p
I would find it interesting to what you come up with however. I've enjoyed several of your vids on YouTube.

As for the sound, yeah, it tends to alias if you go too low (check your octaves).
It may also be related to whether or not you've got the keyboard latched to the filter... i think that just needs to be turned off. You'll have better results using the sine, square and saw than you will with the others.

Looking forward to your next release!
w00t

Bross

Post by Bross » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

One thing that makes the low notes muffled is when you have portamento on and it slides down from a high note. If the highest (Nyquist) frequency of the high note is 20 kHz, then when you slide 4 octave below the highest frequency will be (20 kHz)/(2^4) = 1.25kHz.

radek tymecki

Post by radek tymecki » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:13 pm

i had same problem with ob-8. just tune vcf