List of Synthesizers Capable of Vector or Wavetable Synthesi

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Re: List of Synthesizers Capable of Vector or Wavetable Synthesi

Post by aredj » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 am

The ms2000 has 64(?) other waveforms to use for one of the oscillators. That about as far as it goes.
I'm not sure if that qualifies as wavetable.

Perhaps someone can laydown a definitive definition of wavetable as it applies to synthesis so we can continue along proper.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:39 am

Zamise wrote:Anyone know if Red Sound Dark Star does vector synthesis? Its got the cool joystick for it.

Roland V-Synth perhaps anyone know for sure? It'd be wasted potential of the pad if it couldn't do it.

Novation X-Station, another wasted pad and joystick if it can't do it, I thought it might, but not sure.
The original V-Synth could not.
That is to say that because it only has 2 osc, pretty much any wide number of synths could pull off it's same type of actions.
Dave Smith had a 4 Osc system setup, and basically you could move throughout the 4 Osc.
This said, the V-Synth GT can do this.

I would have noted the GT, however, since the OP asked for things rather dedicated to this and not just holding it as somewhat of a side attribute, I didn't.
At the end of the day, the GT incorporates so many other facets, that I figured it's Vector abilities would be considered a side attribute.

It's granular abilities can also be used for Waldorf/PPG Wavetable synthesis type actions, but again, that ability is meshed in with so much other stuff that at the least, the synth can not be said to be dedicated to such actions.

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:21 am

seamonkey wrote: Does John Bowen's Solaris count?
it will count doubly when it ships in a few more months. the Solaris has both vector and wavetable synthesis available.

even more interesting is how you could combine vector and wavetable synthesis together!

so you could assign each of the four oscillators to be sweeping through a wavetable (the same or different ones). then have a vector mixer with those four oscillators as the four inputs that are combined via the joystick.

of course, there are lots of modulation sources (six DADSR EGs, two looping envelopes, four LFOs) to assign to the wavetable sweeps (and possibly to the vector mixer's X and Y coordinate too). i'm not sure on this but it may also be possible to assign the joystick X and Y coordinates as the modulation sources to sweep any or all four of the wavetables assigned as oscillator sources...

and there are two separate vector mixers so the second vector mixer could be a joystick or modulation mix of modulation sources to then sweep the wavetables (and/or the first vector mixer's X and Y coordinate?)...

my head is already swimming at the possibilities for sonic mayhem! er, does this take the prize for the original poster's question yet?

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 am

Back when I owned a Modcan it had a wavetable module that could be stepped through. I haven't kept up with them in recent years so I don't know if its still available.

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:38 pm

shinysign wrote:Great list so far. Wavetable is an odd synthesis, as is Vector, they didn't seem to catch on hugely in mainstream music, nor did Vector. Now Subtractive you hear everywhere :D
Thing is, vector and wavetable are osc technologies, not whole synthesis architectures, as is subtractive. Or at least, that is how it played out in the market - both vector and wavetable oscs were paired (and not) with filters and the usual subtractive setups.

The Elektron MonoMachine SFX-6 can do some nice vector stuff since you can assign parameters to both poles of both axes on the joystick.

The Korg OASYS PCI has a number of algorithms for vector and wavetable synthesis - the wavetable being more like granular and Wavestation-like synthesis than Waldorf-style - and they are not emulations.

The Clavia Nord Modular can do both vector and wavetable synthesis with aplomb.

cheers,
Ian

Char-El
Gear: 2 Emu E4Ks,VK6,Classic Keys,, Korg Wavestation EX,DW-8000 Turbo,Roland P330,,Roland MC 50 MK2,Mellotron Archives CD Rom

Post by Char-El » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Kawai K3 & K3M had nice wavetables...also you could design your own waves
There was another obscure synth that we used to sell at a store I worked in the 80s that was wavetable but i just cannot recall who made it ...I think it was Italian (it had a green plastic body)
(update) Keytek CTS 2000!! (Siel)

Tony Banks used the Wavestation in the latter Genesis material (and even on the last tour) Also Cirque du Soliel on SALTIMBANCO
Last edited by Char-El on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveman

Post by steveman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Err.. Guys, haven't we been here before?

'Wavetable' synths are just those that can scan through a series of connected (or disconnected) single cycle waveforms under the control of a modulator like an envelope or LFO. The original PPGs and the Waldorf synths can all do this, as can the Ensoniq VFX and some of it's derivatives. The earlier Ensoniqs (ESQs and SQ) don't do this.

Having a set of waves in a table is just a generic description of sample playback.

Vector synthesis is dynamic mixing between (usually 4), and under the control of a modulator like an envelope or LFO. I don't think mixing sources manually (or with pressure / velocity) count, as as I could call any mix using thes 'vector'.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Excuse my ignorance but how do you distinguish them from the ROMPLERS?
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:48 pm

balma wrote:Excuse my ignorance but how do you distinguish them from the ROMPLERS?
(Palm/Waldorf) Wavetable synthesis was ROM based
so was the original Vektor synthesis.
steveman wrote:Err.. Guys, haven't we been here before?

'Wavetable' synths are just those that can scan through a series of connected (or disconnected) single cycle waveforms under the control of a modulator like an envelope or LFO. The original PPGs and the Waldorf synths can all do this, as can the Ensoniq VFX and some of it's derivatives. The earlier Ensoniqs (ESQs and SQ) don't do this.

Having a set of waves in a table is just a generic description of sample playback.

Vector synthesis is dynamic mixing between (usually 4), and under the control of a modulator like an envelope or LFO. I don't think mixing sources manually (or with pressure / velocity) count, as as I could call any mix using thes 'vector'.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:53 pm

balma wrote:Excuse my ignorance but how do you distinguish them from the ROMPLERS?
well you have a waldorf Q, which has two wavetables, would you consider any of the waves in those to be usable for ROMpler type patches?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

steveman

Post by steveman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Thought my post above explained it quite succintly... #-o

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:01 pm

well I have the Waldorf Q, well, the MicroQ I'm sorry I have to correct that on my setup, but it's different from the Waldorf Wavetable, however, the Q is a VA with three oscillators and has 2 128 wavetables.
I know the sythesis is different, I can create sounds using the VA oscillators and the wavetables.
But I can do something similar with the Yamaha EX5, wich has a VA and a lot of sampled instruments, can create sounds using several different sound design technologies, as virtual acoustic, sample, and virtual analog at the same time.
but I don't have very clear the limits between the rompler and the wavetable. Can you work wavetables as if the sampled sounds were oscillators of a virtual analog engine???
thanks
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

eumir

Post by eumir » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 pm

Evolution EVS-1
Yamaha DX100, TQ5, TG33, RM1X
Evolution EVS-1

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:03 am

Depends on your definition of "wavetable".

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:07 am

eumir wrote:Evolution EVS-1
Quite pleased to see this synth mentioned. It can indeed do it, Waveform is a destination in the mod matrix. Exploring the depths of the EVS1 is on my "to do" list.

Another oddity is the Cheetah MS800. Bit like a Microwave but without filters and what looks like an even more diabolical interface.

Just remembered a few more, Spectral Audio's Syntrack, think it takes some MIDI patch changes or something to do waveform changes.

Paul Maddox has made a few wavetable synths, the Monowave is available in DIY from Elby.