Which was your first music toy?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Re: Which was your first music toy?

Post by clusterchord » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:34 pm

never had a toy like bontempi or casio vl.. but i could say i first toyed arround, with no clue on how to play, with my brother's X5 when i was 6 or less. soon after that i started on piano lessons..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:40 pm

Got a Casio SK-1 on my third birthday (1987).

Around the age of 13 I found it again and wanted to play it, but I plugged it into a faulty power supply and fried it :oops:
Monkey business since 2007!

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:11 pm

Jack Spider wrote:I had one of those wheezy Bontempi organs with chord buttons in the late 70s.
Same here, again. Mine was more like a combo organ though. It had a metal casing.

When I was in junior high school my friend and I, neither of who were keyboardists, suddenly took an interest in the possibility of getting a synth. We started looking around for one and were considering the Roland Juno series. I found myself attracted to the Juno-60 in particular. I liked the way it looked and how it said on the front, "POLYPHONIC SYNTHESIZER". It looked so professional.

Well, it so happens that I saw one at a garage sale for $150. I was asking about somebody about and was about buy it when the owner, a younger kid, came outside and said, "hey, that's my piano!" and pulled out of our hands. It fell on the ground and everyone looked. Then the kid cried and said it was our fault. Needless to say, they didn't sell the "piano".
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Clavier wrote: Well, it so happens that I saw one at a garage sale for $150. I was asking about somebody about and was about buy it when the owner, a younger kid, came outside and said, "hey, that's my piano!" and pulled out of our hands. It fell on the ground and everyone looked. Then the kid cried and said it was our fault. Needless to say, they didn't sell the "piano".
ahahaha!!! i really "lol'd" at that! fantastic. how old was the kid and how heavy is the 60, anyway?

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 pm

This:

Still have it and it still works.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:30 pm

I was around 8 or 9 years old when I had:

Yamaha PSR-12 - still have it, but it won't power up.

Yamaha PSS-270 - don't have this one anymore. Can't remember what happened to it.

Yamaha PSS-130 - My first keyboard, got it at age 5 or 6. Can't remember what happened to it.

So you could probably say that was my first keyboard rig.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 am

Yamaha PSR-165. Still in my closet

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:44 am

I had a Fisher-Price xylophone. It made an unholy racket from the inharmonic overtones* of the individual notes.

The first electronic one was a crappy Yamaha PSR-series keyboard that I couldn't get rid of fast enough.

*Not that Christopher would have known, much less been able to pronounce "inharmonic overtones" at the age of four....

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:04 am

Casio SA-20
It came with a Michael Jackson songbook.
I think I was 8.

Its sitting right beside me.
w00t

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:35 am

justin_havu wrote: Image
Yamaha PSS-130 - My first keyboard, got it at age 5 or 6. Can't remember what happened to it.
this was the first electronic "synthesizer" i got to play with*. it came from a friend, and i had it for years. right when i started high school, and when i decided i wanted to get into electronic music, i opened it up and hardwired a 1/4" cable to it, and then ran it thru Boss Heavy Metal and Flanger pedals. it actually sounded pretty darn good! i used to do poor man's multitracking/overdubbing with a tape recorder and the PSS-130, covering nine inch nails and whatever little bits of Skinny Puppy i could figure out. i still have it somewhere at my parents' house, but i can't see ever wanting to play with it again. soon after i these "enhancements" i bought my first "real" synthesizer, a Kawai K4. the rest, as they say...

* if you don't count my dad's TB-303 that i used to fiddle with when i was 5 or 6. (before i was old enough to care, it was sold at a yard sale, along with some other odds and ends.) :cry: #-o

Clavier

Post by Clavier » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:58 am

killedaway wrote:
Clavier wrote:
Jack Spider wrote: Well, it so happens that I saw one at a garage sale for $150. I was asking about somebody about and was about buy it when the owner, a younger kid, came outside and said, "hey, that's my piano!" and pulled out of our hands. It fell on the ground and everyone looked. Then the kid cried and said it was our fault. Needless to say, they didn't sell the "piano".
ahahaha!!! i really "lol'd" at that! fantastic. how old was the kid and how heavy is the 60, anyway?
Eh, they're pretty heavy to twelve/thirteen year olds. The kid was probably between 6 and 8.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Clavier

Post by Clavier » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:02 am

clusterchord wrote:never had a toy like bontempi or casio vl.. but i could say i first toyed arround, with no clue on how to play, with my brother's X5 when i was 6 or less. soon after that i started on piano lessons..

Classy!

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 pm

wheels of steel

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:28 pm

hmmm...

i played the piano as a kid. so that was the first instrument for me...

years later i got into electronical music and i started experimenting with reason.

then some more years later i bought a juno 60. that was the first synth for me and i will never give it away.

and since then, my studio keeps growing...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:42 pm

Jack Spider wrote:I had one of those wheezy Bontempi organs with chord buttons in the late 70s. It broke and was thrown out.
Mine was a Sears chord organ from the 60s, it also broke. At one point there was one of those cheapo guitars with cowboy pictures painted on it in the house, too.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.