Which was your first music toy?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WhinyLittleRunt

Re: Which was your first music toy?

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Had some plastic chord organ which I wish I knew the name (it was probably a toy but whatever) and a Casio tonebank keyboard. I got the Casio when I was 8 from my neighbor who got it from someone else and never played it and it remained with me until a few years ago.. and the chord organ I'm sure was broken by my destructive cousins looking for fun back then. :)
I like vintage synths....

The Manitou

Post by The Manitou » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:14 pm

Hiya,

Major Morgan the electronic organ was one of mine. It made some ghostly drones if you 'accidentally dropped it in the rain barrel' and fished it out again! My original is long gone but I now own a few of them. The earlier models have far less-stable tuning so you can get interesting nuances out of the notes by varied finger-pressure. I believe you can fit them with a pitch pot too, but experiments have so far been fruitless.

Cheers,
-Josh
Gear: Novation K-Station; Roland Alpha Juno-1, SP-404; Yamaha CS-5, CS01; Crumar Performer; Casio CZ-1000, SK-1 & 2; Akai S1000; Stylophone; circuit-bent stuff.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:04 pm

My first toy was some sh*tty Yamaha organ. Oh, it was this model, I remember!

Only kidding... :lol: It was a single manual Bontempi organ I got at Xmas '78 or '79 :oops:

My first synth was a second-hand Roland Juno-60 which I got in the summer of '85 for about FF6500. I sold it just before I moved to the UK in 1990.

GC

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:43 pm

My fist little music toys were a Yamaha PSS-470 and PSS-480:
Still have both, very fun little 2 operator FM synths.

And my first 'pro' synth was an old Roland Promars:
I still miss it, the two detunable VCO's were very strong, the same as in my Jupiter-4. In fact, in my Jupiter-4 most of the circuit boards say 'JP-4 or MRS-2' on them, MRS-2 being the Promars.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:20 pm

i pre-date most electronic keyboards. as a small child, i had a thing like a Pan-pipes with carboard disks punched with holes. you clamped the disk inplace, blew into a tube and turned a crank that rotated the disk and played a tune. wore it out, my parents wrote the maker (Matell???) and they sent a replacement....WORE THAT OUT TOO! got a third one.

always had a piano in the house, when i was about 6, Dad found a used Hammond Solovox for me. still have it.

when i finished 8th grade, parents bought me a used Lowrey Festaval:
lowrey fl.jpg
lowrey fl.jpg (7.62 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Last edited by rhino on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:32 pm

My first music toy was a Casio VL-1 (i wonder that it was not mentioned in previous posts).
I bought it from a friend of a friend who didn't know anything about it.
I knew it already from the famous Trio-song "Da, Da, Da", so i was happy that he wanted to sell it.
I even have used it already. Click on the link in my signature to hear it in the track 'Casio Fun'.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:10 am

a "Mini Piano"

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:02 pm

Believe it or not, my first music toy was Lincoln Logs.

I remember setting them up as a xylophone. I could only get about 5 notes, of which three were part of a scale adn sounded right together.

Other than that I played with the family's Hammond organ a lot.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:28 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:a "Mini Piano"

Uf, had a weird flashback when I saw that.

So weird, I don't know why I forgot those minikeys completely from my memories... they were about $0.50.... would love to get another one.

had several PSR

His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

retrosounds

Post by retrosounds » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:55 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:a "Mini Piano"
:shock: I had one of those!
I also had this one little keyboard, I forget the brand but I remember when you turned it on it said "Hello! Let's play!" and did a scale of notes. I think I may still have it somewhere in my grandparent's basement...
"Imagination is priceless"

"I bless the rains down in Africa"

depulse
Gear: List is too long, analog and digital synths and samplers....

Post by depulse » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Korg Poly 800 (bought new)

Then a Roland D50 (new)

Korg TritonExtr+MOSSRoland XV5080+D550+MKS80+MKS70+MKS7+MKS50+S550+JP8080+Juno60+JD990, ATC1, ESQM Yamaha A5k+An1x+SY77+TG77+TX802+TX7 Akai S5k+MPC1k, Mopho, Blofeld, EMaxRack, NordRack2, Indigo2, Rogue, MD, Linndrum, Pro1, Drumulator, M1AM1, Pulse

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:46 pm

heh heh. good thread. 8)

ignoring the upright piano that i pounded away at to no great effect for years my first proper music toy was a Farfisa Bravo organ. (this was in the late 70's, when i was about 15.)

half a dozen voicings, fairly cheesy rhythm section (march, bossa nova etc.) with auto chord accompaniment. but it kept me happy for years.

and, what do you know, it gets an entry in Peter Forrest's A to Z of Analogue Synthesizers. that made my day. :lol:
Analogue Systems RS8500 | Andromeda A6 | Moog Voyager Old School | Korg Radias KB | MEK | DSI Tetr4 | Tom Oberheim SEM | Waldorf Blofeld module | Virus C | A Sol Leipzig-S | XV-5080 | V-Synth XT | Mopho KB

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:28 pm

sepiakeys wrote:Just for fun (and quite likely not the first thread of this kind):

What was the first music-toy, keyboard or synthesizer you owned as a kid? Do you still have it and use it?

Here is mine. I got it from my aunt when I was about 10. It even has sliders to tweak the little FM-engine (that's how I got to know what "attack" and "decay" means) and a programmable drum computer! Will never give it away.

That was exactly my first musical toy too, then an acoustic guitar, and then another PSS for a short while. My first "real synth" was a Korg 707
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:02 am

killedaway wrote:
justin_havu wrote: Image
Yamaha PSS-130 - My first keyboard, got it at age 5 or 6. Can't remember what happened to it.
this was the first electronic "synthesizer" i got to play with*. it came from a friend, and i had it for years. right when i started high school, and when i decided i wanted to get into electronic music, i opened it up and hardwired a 1/4" cable to it, and then ran it thru Boss Heavy Metal and Flanger pedals. it actually sounded pretty darn good! i used to do poor man's multitracking/overdubbing with a tape recorder and the PSS-130, covering nine inch nails and whatever little bits of Skinny Puppy i could figure out.
Freaky, I did almost the same with one that I picked up in a thrift store. I wired a 1/4 jack into it and ran it through a zoom multi-fx pedal and recorded some industrial noise with it. It didn't sound too bad with distortion and filter effects on it.

I think my first musical toy as a kid was this plastic saxophone that looked pretty close to the real thing. i was probably 7 or 8 and made a pretty bad racket with it. I don't think I had any kind of keyboards until I was in high school.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:18 am

I got a Yamaha SHS-10 when I was about 6. I never had a serious interest in music until high school, but I still had lots of fun with it growing up. After joining my first band in high school, I tried to sell it for $5 at a garage sale to raise money for a better instrument (at the time I was playing a PSR-185). No one bought it, and seeing it selling on ebay for as much as $400 now, I'm glad I still have it.
You can't synthesize love