Hardware Floppy Disk Drive Emulator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KONEY
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg MS-20
Sampler: AKAI S-900
Band: KONEY

Re: Hardware Floppy Disk Drive Emulator

Post by KONEY » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:15 am

That would be a fantastic device! I would get surely at least two, one for my Amiga and one for my AKAI S900 =P~

I love floppies, they're charming, I love them against other storage solutions like I love Vinyls against CDs, but when you have to go on stage with a vintage sampler having a faster, bigger, and more reliable data storage it's definitely welcome! =D>

So now, what next? do you need betatesters? :mrgreen:

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:48 pm

Well - I couldn't resist - I've just purchased a working Emulator II+ to join my EIIIXP for the studio. I've always wanted one and it will help me to develop a modern sample transfer solution.

The ultimate goal is to have the entire official EII sample archive residing in one small box - less than the size of the original CDS3!

It's got to be shipped from the US to the UK - which is costing me a fortune! #-o
Last edited by HideawayStudio on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:06 am

did you ordered the floppy emulator from his site? HERE? i can't find the place to order.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:28 pm

novielo wrote:did you ordered the floppy emulator from his site? HERE? i can't find the place to order.

I think there is some confusion here. I have just purchased an Emu Emulator II+ for our sample transfer project. It's a beast - weighing over 70 pounds! It's going to cost me over $350 to ship it from the US. The disk emulator above is clever but is not in the same form as the device we are developing.

As they say watch this space.....
Last edited by HideawayStudio on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:08 pm

cool, i tought you bought the disk emulator and the Emu for testing it. on the site it says that they did made it worked with a dss-1. this will be a great product alot of device will wake from the dead with this, like with he scsi-2-cf card reader.

anyway, sorry.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Twosocks

Post by Twosocks » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:49 pm

So is there still hope for a Fairlight solution? :D

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:22 pm

Twosocks wrote:So is there still hope for a Fairlight solution? :D
NEWSFLASH!! - Jean-François Del Nero is currently adding Fairlight Series II support to his brilliant HxC emulator. It's still early days but it sounds promising. He is looking for H/W savvy people to help him with testing on the real thing.

I am currently working on a very different hardware solution for the Emulator II with E-Synthesist (known for producing the brilliant EMXP E-mu sample translator) to work in conjunction with EMXP. I don't currently want to discuss the details but it will result in EII users being able to use modern PCs to download sample files and transfer them to and from their EIIs. :)

Since Jean-François is clearly making very good progress with his emulator I'm going to concentrate on our EMXP interface instead.

Echos

Post by Echos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:07 am

Hey Dan I'm an SY99 owner also, I hope you are going to put together some of these HxC emulators? A big problem I see right now with that floppy emulator is that it doesn't fit into an actual floppy drive bay. I might know a good solution for that, check out this here it is a cool blue lcd w/ buttons which mounts into a FDD bay. You might have to modify the PCB or have them retool the design so that you can put a slot for the SD card in the front bezel though.
FDD bay solution for HxC emulator

Or if that is too expensive to do I think this LCD would work, but it only comes in green, and you would still have to come up with manufacturing an enclosure and the bezel.
http://www.lcd-module.de/eng/pdf/doma/dips082e.pdf

I really do want to replace this floppy drive, I use it so much I actually broke it yesterday and now I need to replace the drive belt. :roll: and I am sure it badly needs cleaning but I am afraid to do that because it could knock the R/W heads out of alignment.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Echos wrote:Hey Dan I'm an SY99 owner also, I hope you are going to put together some of these HxC emulators? A big problem I see right now with that floppy emulator is that it doesn't fit into an actual floppy drive bay. I might know a good solution for that, check out this here it is a cool blue lcd w/ buttons which mounts into a FDD bay. You might have to modify the PCB or have them retool the design so that you can put a slot for the SD card in the front bezel though.
FDD bay solution for HxC emulator

Or if that is too expensive to do I think this LCD would work, but it only comes in green, and you would still have to come up with manufacturing an enclosure and the bezel.
http://www.lcd-module.de/eng/pdf/doma/dips082e.pdf

I really do want to replace this floppy drive, I use it so much I actually broke it yesterday and now I need to replace the drive belt. :roll: and I am sure it badly needs cleaning but I am afraid to do that because it could knock the R/W heads out of alignment.
#

You need to dump that dreadful Yamaha belt driven floppy and replace it with a modern black faced PC floppy like the one in my SY instead :)

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:02 am

I've just found a piece of gear on the web that supposedely works as a hardware replacement for a 1.44" floppy drive, that allows the user to load compact flash cards instead.

It's called " HDM Uniflash ", and comes from a company in Ukraine (apparently), although they are also marketed by this german website.

The link:
http://home.arcor.de/hdm-world/index_en.htm

So far, I haven't heard of anybody testing one of those units, and was not confident enough to order one myself.

I would like to hear your experiences (if any) with that...

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:53 am

This is fascinating. I'm curious to see where it all goes.

KONEY

Post by KONEY » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:40 am

guillermotin wrote: The link:
well 180€ isn't exactly cheap....and AKAI S900 is not even listed as compatible... :?

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:25 pm

KONEY wrote:
guillermotin wrote: The link:
well 180€ isn't exactly cheap....and AKAI S900 is not even listed as compatible... :?
It is highly unlikely this device will work with most older studio gear as the synths listed on their website have formats very similar to MS-DOS format - it may, for example, work with the SY99 which is similar to PC. Old samplers such as the S900, EIII, EMAX etc use different disk controllers to PCs (eg. WD1770 and 1772) and their low level formats are very different too.

Having spent a load of money evaluating such products for I'd forget it - the exception is HxC which has been developed to support non PC type formats.

KONEY

Post by KONEY » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Nice, so there's still hope left :) I'm a hardcore user of the akai, needless to say that I'm waiting a device like since ages! =D>

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:21 pm

This is very cool. I have a Korg DSS-1 that would have its lifespan greatly extended with a floppy drive replacement.