Hardware Floppy Disk Drive Emulator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smallbutfine

Re: Hardware Floppy Disk Drive Emulator

Post by smallbutfine » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:45 am

Hm, I am wondering if any of these emulators would work in my Roland MC-500II sequencer. I would miss the rock-solid timing and excellent workflow of this little big machine in case th floppy fails...or disk become unavailable totally...?

gs

Post by gs » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:18 pm

BluMunk wrote:This is very cool. I have a Korg DSS-1 that would have its lifespan greatly extended with a floppy drive replacement.
Ya, same here.

I am holding out for the HxC standalone flash card, as I don't see the benefit of having to hook up to a PC to load sounds. Might as well just use the floppies for now as the samples/patches I want to load would be done by the time I've booted a PC and loaded the HxC software.

The conventional HxC computer-bridge does look like a good solution for people looking to have convenient hard-disk retrieval of these sample libraries (or disk images), but since I only really use my DSS-1 as a synth (not as a sample-player), I only use one custom disk most of the time. I'm mainly after quick and quiet loading times without the support of a PC.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:09 pm

Has anyone ended up using one of the HcX floppy emulators with their sampler? I'm thinking about buying a DSS-1 locally (sans disks) (for $120-should I do it?), and something like this seems almost de rigueur...

Saying that, I can't even figure how much the dang thing costs, or if it's even available to buy (I see they've already been selling them)

I don't think the dss would ever leave the studio, so although a flash option would be cool, connecting to a pc would not be a hassle...
Do you even post on vse bro?

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:22 am

guillermotin wrote:I've just found a piece of gear on the web that supposedely works as a hardware replacement for a 1.44" floppy drive, that allows the user to load compact flash cards instead.

It's called " HDM Uniflash ", and comes from a company in Ukraine (apparently), although they are also marketed by this german website.

The link:
http://home.arcor.de/hdm-world/index_en.htm

So far, I haven't heard of anybody testing one of those units, and was not confident enough to order one myself.

I would like to hear your experiences (if any) with that...
Contacted them about one for my Ensoniq TS-12... would cost about $179.00 us shipped, but then you need a CF card (less than $20 for a 256 MB). If I sell another synth or two, I may order one.
Also, they said they DO NOT have a model for the Yamaha SY series.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:15 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Has anyone ended up using one of the HcX floppy emulators with their sampler? I'm thinking about buying a DSS-1 locally (sans disks) (for $120-should I do it?), and something like this seems almost de rigueur...

Saying that, I can't even figure how much the dang thing costs, or if it's even available to buy (I see they've already been selling them)

I don't think the dss would ever leave the studio, so although a flash option would be cool, connecting to a pc would not be a hassle...
You might be in luck - I think there is native support for the DSS-1 under HcX :)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:35 am

HideawayStudio wrote:You might be in luck - I think there is native support for the DSS-1 under HcX :)
I think you're right, but the websites (even the dedicatd DSS-1 HcX one) don't really give much in the way of actual info (the DSS1 page just redirects you to the main HcX page which has no info on the dss1...) I can't even find a price...
Do you even post on vse bro?

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:21 pm

W. Schoenberger just accomplished this for the Waldorf Wave. I purchased mine but have yet to install it. Perhaps you should contact him and see what he did and whether its applicable to any other synths. I'm pretty sure the Wave works on an MS-DOS type of system. Check out the Waldorf list in the month of September to check out the thread. If you can'y find it, pm me and I'll dig it up.
By and by, I'd be interested in several of these for various synths including the QD formats if its possible. It would bring new life to some old samplers.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Ok, now 1 and a half year has gone since the last post and one can easily buy the HxC SD card version from the online shop. http://www.lotharek.pl/

Has anyone tried the HxC with a Roland S-50 / 550 or 330? I am really curious as to how it would work out. The developer says it should work with any drive, and seeing as it works with other shugart based drives from that era I suspect it might work.

But I would like to know for sure before buying.

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:17 am

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a stack of floppy drives and a few crates of floppy disks ?

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 am

Well, those floppy drives for the S-330 aren't exactly cheap, and they are getting rare as well. My drive is working perfectly now, and might do so for years to come but you never know.

Encoder

Post by Encoder » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Hello, HxC SD floppy emulator by Lotharek is working with Yamaha EX5/EX5R/EX7.
Here is a full-hd video about it:

Best regards!