Mopho's sweet n' round sound?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
spybar

Mopho's sweet n' round sound?

Post by spybar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:07 am

Hola mates,

It seems like a fresh yellow Mopho will find its way to my homestudio and gigs. 8)

From more than few demos, I've heard on the web, Mopho looks like a neat tiny beast with great sharp bass and bleeps!

I wanted to know if the Mopho can also bring a softer, sweeter n' rounder sound for leads etc... more Moogish sound?

BTW, checkout this video Minimoog compared to DSI Prophet 08.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvt5VycR1Aw

Thanks for your help! :)

SpyBar

redchapterjubilee

Re: Mopho's sweet n' round sound?

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:25 pm

I've had my Mopho for a month now, and it was bought specifically to replace an ailing Moog sound in my set-up. I am surprised by how much of the Moog tone I can cop with my Mopho, but I have reservations saying it's a great Moog replacement.

It has a very round tone up top and can be as warm as it can be brash. I had a double sawtooth lead programmed on that Source that I have reprogrammed on a number of synths (Alesis Ion, Arturia MiniMoogV, Moog Mg-1 and now the Mopho) that for the most part has sounded pretty much identical. The two software versions have lacked a certain "presence" that I really can't describe. A thinner version, like maybe it's been EQ'ed to take a little bottom out? The Moog was in your face, and the Mopho is pretty much identical. The MG-1 was a tad brighter but with the same presence. The triangle on the software and the Mopho is a little sharper than the Moog, but the Mopho can tame that sharpness a bit. I'm not a big square wave lead guy so I don't know about that.

As for bass, well, I've not had the opportunity to program much bass into the Mopho yet. What little I have...well, the Mopho isn't as "big" as the Moog. But it still has that professional hardware sound to it that the Moog had. The Mopho is difficult to fine tune sometimes because of the MIDI CC issues with its pots (they have notches in them and I have a real problem finding the sweet spot on a self-resonating filter on key follow to get it in tune). Also, filter sweeps on the Source could make me weep for how beautiful it sounded, the Mopho can get close to it but it's really not the same. Had I never owned a pro Moog I may never have noticed these discrepancies. Still, I have been beyond impressed with the Mopho.

Maybe later tonight I'll take some existing audio and do maybe a blind comparison of some leads from the Source, the Ion, and the Mopho and post them. So if y'all can figure which is which.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

donaldm
Gear: modular synthesizer
Location: pedal depressed pan chromatic resonance and other highly ambient domain

Post by donaldm » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:14 pm

here's my demo with a roundish lead:

http://soundarc.net/music/dats/sound/dm ... ZotGun.mp3

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:35 pm

:lol:

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:44 pm

donaldm wrote:here's my demo with a roundish lead:

http://soundarc.net/music/dats/sound/dm ... ZotGun.mp3
I can just imagine smashmouths singer rockin to this.
for sale/trade: EML-101

spybar

Post by spybar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Redchapterjubilee,
Thank you for your detailed reply, thoughts and information.
I'd be grateful if you may upload some of your audio files. :)

Donaldm,
That's a cool tune! Liked it. Thanks!

Any thoughts, info and sounds is always grateful.

Cheers!

SpyBar

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:37 am

donaldm wrote:here's my demo with a roundish lead.
Screw the lead, how did you get that overdriven organ sound? It's too groovy. :)
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

donaldm
Location: pedal depressed pan chromatic resonance and other highly ambient domain

Post by donaldm » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:23 am

Solderman wrote:Screw the lead, how did you get that overdriven organ sound? It's too groovy. :)
Hah! Its my RMI being played through an old Fender Musicmaster bass combo amp with the gain and tone cranked up. The slapback is courtesy of a Roland SDE-3000.

Here's another track that I did with the Mopho: http://soundarc.net/music/dats/sound/dm ... onJunk.mp3

d

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:28 am

donaldm wrote:Here's another track that I did with the Mopho:

Haha! That's awesome! Reminds me of Jean-Jacques Perrey. Is that your intention?

donaldm

Post by donaldm » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:09 am

OriginalJambo wrote: Haha! That's awesome! Reminds me of Jean-Jacques Perrey. Is that your intention?
Yeah, the original idea was 'what if JJP or d**k Hyman had cut a record for Stax in 1968?'. The two major problems being that a. I have 1% of the technique and facility of a real keyboard player (I'm a saxophonist by training) and b. that me and my buddies have 1% of 1% of the feeling of Booker T. and Co. brought to the table.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:31 pm

donaldm wrote:I'm a saxophonist by training
Hey, me too! I'm a sax player struggling to make bleepy synth sounds.
I think your approach is unique, and you could easily make an album out of tunes like these.
You should name the album Switched-On Kitsch. :)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:15 am

donaldm wrote:Yeah, the original idea was 'what if JJP or d**k Hyman had cut a record for Stax in 1968?'. The two major problems being that a. I have 1% of the technique and facility of a real keyboard player (I'm a saxophonist by training) and b. that me and my buddies have 1% of 1% of the feeling of Booker T. and Co. brought to the table.
You certainly nailed it then. :)