Alesis ION Question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
juno106
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Alesis ION
Korg ESX-1
Korg EA
Roland MC-303
Roland MC-09
2 Tek 12's n a boatload of vinyl
Band: The Hermit

Re: Alesis ION Question

Post by juno106 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:47 pm

damn....wake up n there's a lot goin on in this thread =)

Larry....i'll hit you up on Myspace n catch up....lots o tings going on around here lately.

Brian Only....yea, small world....i'm across from the old fire station......not originally from Wales, rather Oconomowoc for the most part, but i've been out here for 12 years with my gf Bronwyn...not sure if you may know her.

and Thanks again to all of you for helping me out. Felt a bit stupid asking the original question, but had to so I was 100% sure what I was dealing with. I was obviously pretty damn sure that it was a "synth" with presets, but that guy threw me for a loop n had me 2nd guessing.

I was thinking about the situation last night over a few beers n the only thing that makes sense to me is that he ment "synth" in the sense of something for BANDS.....i.e. nice piano sounds, etc. I know if someone was in a band n looking for a keyboard to play piano on n bought my JP-8000 they would be sorely dissappointed.

This guy's story was that he actually doesn't play instruments, rather he is a sound engineer and said he bought the ION and a Korg Triton LE (which he is also selling) for the various bands he records with to play on. So I don't think he knows a lick about keyboards, and in talking to him over a beer i'm sure he doesn't.

I really hope this works out, as i've had my eye on this keyboard for a year, missed out on a couple of em, have been waiting for one to come around locally for forever.......finally find one in mint condition in the box!!!

Looking forward to f**k around with all those knobs n osc's =) :mrgreen:

Respekt to the people on this board......been lurking for a year and am glad I finally logged on! Everyone's been cool n helpful =D>
The Underground Is Massive

dj mixes @ http://www.myspace.com/hiddenhermit

juno106
Alesis ION
Korg ESX-1
Korg EA
Roland MC-303
Roland MC-09

Post by juno106 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:52 pm

goober wrote:If you haven't already check out Jexus's demo of the ION, he shows the potential of its engine, he's like a synth God.

Hillarious!

That was the first video I saw when I started to think about buying an ION n looked it up on youtube. Ever since i've been dying to get one! That guy is the s**t :shock:

.....his video editing skillz aren't bad either ;)

juno106
Alesis ION
Korg ESX-1
Korg EA
Roland MC-303
Roland MC-09

Post by juno106 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:54 pm

speaking of which, this guy on the micron is the s**t!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F8Kiw4aoex4

crazy skillz on that thing.

Marching Pig

Post by Marching Pig » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:57 pm

goober wrote:If you haven't already check out Jexus's demo of the ION, he shows the potential of its engine, he's like a synth God.

F#@kin' 'ell John!!!!

his demos are awesome!! I've got a micron, and after a year of ownership, I'm (finally) becoming really competent with it, but after I listened to these, any doubt i had left of the micron's capabilities have been completely blown away. I was already gettin pretty decent stuff out of it, but this just makes me want to try even harder:) It's severly underpriced for what it can achieve, and it's a great buy for sure.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:11 am

goober wrote:I have the alesis micron and its my first and only synth, and I'd have to say at first I didn't like it (hoping to pick up an ESQ-1 soon though)
The ESQ-1 was my first synth. The ION was the second. Great minds, although in reverse. ;)

juno106
Alesis ION
Korg ESX-1
Korg EA
Roland MC-303
Roland MC-09

Post by juno106 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:30 am

Got it......love it.......

Can't wait to incorperate it into some trax =)

Thanks again for the help and advice!

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:41 am

Good on you, juno106. How did the purchase play out?

juno106
Alesis ION
Korg ESX-1
Korg EA
Roland MC-303
Roland MC-09

Post by juno106 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:24 pm

It was fine. Sounds are all loaded up. n most everything works as it should.

XCEPT for the Main Volume knob being very scratchy........hopefully not a big deal.

Also though there seemed to be what could best be described as "signal noize?".

Only was apparent with particular samples that had noizy undertones by nature. Though the sound was being produced long after any key way pressed (n i mean minutes later).

So for $400 I can't complain, n it has some quips n quirks, but it is what it is

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:14 am

Swweet.

For the Volume pot ish, go online and order some this stuff here

Not sure about the Signal noise thing, I've never had that problem.
Might not be a bad idea to pick up one of these if its a power issue, I found one used for 35 bucks on craigslist. I cant remember if it has a grounded outlet or not but it may be a grounding issue.

Have fun w/ it!
sell me your KS5!

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:41 am

is the noise at all outputs? mine has a noise at the headphone outs and the main outs, but the aux outs are clean and clear. i keep meaning to bring it in for a repair, but, i'm lazy like that. i have read about it being a known issue.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

juno106
Alesis ION
Korg ESX-1
Korg EA
Roland MC-303
Roland MC-09

Post by juno106 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:58 am

As I had mentioned, the noize was mainly with particular preset sounds, so i'd assume that some setting may have been producing that, as I have played on it extensively since I got it n have yet to hear it again........ I generally stick to deep sounds, n stay away from the gritty one's, so I don't think it's a synth prob. don't know what the h**l was going on there.

And thanks for the heads up on the cleaning link. I recently bought an mc-303 for $70 n it has the same scratchy main volume knob........so i'm in need of a synth cleaning day.

I must also reiterate that I love this f**k synth! Just beautiful sounds....nice action on the keyboard.... the programming is easy.......couldn't be happier!

It's the perfect compliment to my JP-8000..........now if only I had the $$$ to get a TB-303 or clone :(