My first synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vvd
Gear: dde, micron, emu romplers

My first synthesizer

Post by vvd » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:06 am

after 2 weeks of searching for a nice analogue synthesizer that i could afford i finally found one.

i first was like buying a mopho, cheap, analogue, sequencer...but somehow i felt like it was not good as a first synthesizer: only monophonic (well, ok) but no keys...

then i felt in love with the korg polysix but i lost all auctions on ebay :(.
i then extended my search to include the juno 60 and 106, 3x-jp(?), sh-09 and sh-2...(i love the design of the sh-09/2/1...)

but soon after, i realised that i want to be able to do creative sound design and that all those synthesizers was kind of limited.
then i found this forum and read about the ion. read a review then which mentioned the micron. saw the micron (already knowing what it was capable of) and thought, INTERESTING! I also liked the design. to me look is important! :)
i searched for it on eBay and there was an auction going on that had only 20 minutes left...i was like...ha, my micron, and won the auction.

i dont have it yet and of course i would have prefered real analogue sound (i believe in analogue)...but analogue can wait (maybe ill have the money someday), and i think the micron is a good one to start with synthesizing and learn to create some cool sounds. yeah, i feel like i'll get the best possible starter synthesizer for 288€ (even though i have only heard mp3 samples so far).
well, I cant wait for it to arrive...no patience here! and this little story is just me killing some time... :D
thank you for reading and please excuse my english ")

(if you know of any good ressources (general sound programming tutorials for analogue synthesizers, or specifically for the ion/micron), plz share).

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: My first synthesizer

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:11 am

Watch out, the stuff's addictive...

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:55 am

There is a lot of power and functionality in that little synth. If you can get to know your way around the micron really well, any other analog or VA will be easy. Have fun.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:12 am

have fun, make sure you remember to eat drink and pee the first few days.

EDIT: you should probably poop as well

vvd

Post by vvd » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:02 am

hehe! aye, the micron is fascinating...even though it does not have many knobs it is pretty easy to program. also the sequencer is very easy to use. recording (realtime or step) and editing of patterns and rhythms...it is easy. creating setups? easy! sound? well, i have nothing to compare it to, but it sure sounds great (no clipping or other glitches). two of the rotary knobs (y/z) have some dead spots like many IONs though. anyone knows if replacement knobs work better?

I havent even tried the vocoder yet (theres so much to explore...).
i like the basses and organ programs best, also some of the sfx programs make me smile.
the hypersynth people are working on micron support for their editor, if that works out, it sure will double the sound design fun!
yeah i am happy with it and I currently cant stop playing with it. :)
thanks, you too have fun ^^)

felis

Post by felis » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:57 am

vvd wrote:...
(if you know of any good ressources (general sound programming tutorials for analogue synthesizers, or specifically for the ion/micron), plz share).

Make sure to join, or a least take a good look around the Ion/Micron yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ales ... roup&slk=1

If you sign up for the group, there's lots of files available to download too.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:38 am

A couple great things about the Micron. Its programable arpeggiator can handle multiple notes even if you can't see what they are, its small, and one mor thing, if your gigging and ask a couple folks which programs are the vocoder ones someone will come up and show you before your set starts. Thats 3 things great about it but hey, yeah carefull, your addiction has started, VSEF is not the cure, it is the disease ;) 1 more for extra credit, you can also take it apart and put it back together in under 20 minutes because its a weapon and not a gun.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

Post by Gregor Samsa » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:48 am

There must be some recovery program for this. I'm seriously considering just having my entire paycheck directly deposited into my paypal account every two weeks to save time.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:53 pm

killanator wrote:have fun, make sure you remember to eat drink and pee the first few days.

EDIT: you should probably poop as well
Won't need to if he doesn't eat... I don't think I did {eat} for a couple of days when I got my Juno 60...
GC

vvd

Post by vvd » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:49 pm

hmm, my first micron only live recording: micron_jam.ogg
please excuse my playing, i have yet to find me a teacher (im just hitting keys so far, it is fun though).

let me say this again: this micron thing is great! you dont need anything else (especially no computer) to create little tracks or record ideas or just to have some fun playing around! i like that. power it on and you are ready to jam. :)

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:00 am

Hey, that's nice work with your micron =D>
Stephen(2)

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:25 am

wow your a lot more productive in your first few days of having a synthesizer then i have been in a month with 3...nice work!

oryjen

Post by oryjen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:20 pm

What kind of synth is this???
Korg MS20-MS50-SQ10-X911-SuperDelta-800DV-MP4-Lambda ES50-severely modded Poly800-PE1000-M500SP-Trident MkII-KPR77-DSS1-P61//EkoSynth P15//YAMAHA CS30-CP30-DX9-01V//RSF Blackbox x2//Viscount CL1-R64//SCI Multitrack-P600//Roland GR500-SH1000

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am

killanator wrote:wow your a lot more productive in your first few days of having a synthesizer then i have been in a month with 3...nice work!

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Couple of weeks' research, buy a synth and bam - recording tracks!
Stephen(2)

vvd

Post by vvd » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 am

stephen wrote:
killanator wrote:wow your a lot more productive in your first few days of having a synthesizer then i have been in a month with 3...nice work!

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Couple of weeks' research, buy a synth and bam - recording tracks!
thats because the micron enables you to just record a phrase, add a rhythm and let both loop. you can then add another program for playing along with it. the research has been worth it i'd say. :)

i am glad that you like it. and thank you for telling me ")