Korg MS2000 - a classic in the making?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Re: Korg MS2000 - a classic in the making?

Post by Clavier » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:05 am

I can understand it. I like the 2000 quite a bit too. The Radius gets my vote as my favorite VA, actually. Wish it was more common.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:07 am

I've had a microkorg and ms2000 now, and i've been thinking about picking an ms up again... its great for live use, and its one synth i cant seem to let go of
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:38 am

RobotHeroes wrote:I want to try a TI since they have a lot of sound possibilities. I haven't heard it enough to know if I really like the way it sounds though.
i got mine like 2 weeks ago. everything but the elektrons and the TI lives in the closet now
god elton can't you suck

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:49 am

the only thing i dont like about the MS is the thinness of the oscillators. especially the saw. but the vox wave is cool, and i have yet to explore the possibilites of the dwgs

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:58 am

Syn303 wrote:
As a berlin-school recording artist myself...
I had no idea you were from Germany, or ever studied there!

I coulda swore you were a Scottish bloke pretending to be some guy from Ontario that wants to be from Detroit :dontknow:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:06 am

I've never owned an MS2000 but it was my first played hardware synth. Matt's Music here in town had it on display forever. At the time I was in high school and just couldn't afford it.

Now I'm older and want to buy one, but never seem to have the money when it comes up, or its beat to utter s**t and I'm not going to 600 for a fugged up VA.

if i could find an ms2000 i'd let my poly 800 go. well i'd have to at that point as i have no room.
w00t

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:24 am

i agree 100%. in fact, i sold my Virus C after a year, and replaced it with an MS2000B and EMX-1. several months later, i sold the MS2000, but missed the sound so much that i bought a microKORG as a replacment of sorts. i do miss the knobs, but the portability of the mK can't be beat. the MS has a wonderfully aggressive and powerful sound to it that i enjoy very much. i'll pick up another MS2k someday when i find one on the cheap for sure. certainly for me its only shortcoming is its polyphony (or lack thereof).

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Well if it's good enough for King Crimson... :P

(Adrian Belew's gear)
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:57 pm

The MS2000 was my first synth and I think it is a great first synth. I think the fact that the microkorg/MS2000 has been used by many "known" bands will secure it's place in history. Also many young kids/bands go through a microkorg as their first synth so I'm sure it will be remembered fondly by many as their first synth.

I do have to say that I much prefer the sound of the virus series but that's all down to personal taste.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

fOZf8

Post by fOZf8 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:51 pm

OUCH...regardless of comparing it to a Virus (bad idea), the main problem I have with eeverything stated in ithe original post is simply that the Prophecy SMOKES the MS in it's raw sound, and the overlayable knob structure makes it a play control genius of a synth. The MS2000 has always been it's gimmicky offspring.

Because of this, and this alone, it will surely be raised to great heights by the masses, searching for a sound based off of lack of full synth knowledge...it's usually the case in these days. Why is mp3 the preferred compressionary format? Because everyone knows it, but it has always been an incestual sibling to many better formats.
Radio Electro(u)nique
Limbik Frequencies
---
Mindset Studio Music and Media
Mindsetstudios

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:29 am

fOZf8 wrote:OUCH...regardless of comparing it to a Virus (bad idea), the main problem I have with eeverything stated in ithe original post is simply that the Prophecy SMOKES the MS in it's raw sound, and the overlayable knob structure makes it a play control genius of a synth. The MS2000 has always been it's gimmicky offspring.

Because of this, and this alone, it will surely be raised to great heights by the masses, searching for a sound based off of lack of full synth knowledge...it's usually the case in these days. Why is mp3 the preferred compressionary format? Because everyone knows it, but it has always been an incestual sibling to many better formats.

so by your logic, the CS-5 should not be considered a classic because it pales in comparison to the CS-80? the Moog Rogue to the Model D? the TB-303 to any of Roland's other analog offerings? sorry, does not compute.

i think a large part of the MS2000's appeal vs the Prophecy is both in its availability and immediacy, both of which stamp a mudhole in the Prophecy. its polyphony makes it far more versatile than the Prophecy as well. no doubt the Prophecy is a great-sounding VA, but to imply that the MS2000 may reach classic status because the people who use one are ignorant sheep is silly. it has dozens of fans (at least) here on VSE who are certainly well-versed in in-depth synth programming. a great sound shouldn't necessarily trump all else in terms of widespread and long-lasting appeal. consider that some of the best-produced albums ever still suck, despite their production values and "polish", while some lowly independent releases live on as classics.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:14 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Well if it's good enough for King Crimson... :P

(Adrian Belew's gear)
cool pic. and they let the mic laying straight on the amp! as obvious as it seems i never thought about it.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:53 am

shaft9000 wrote:
Syn303 wrote:
As a berlin-school recording artist myself...
I had no idea you were from Germany, or ever studied there!

I coulda swore you were a Scottish bloke pretending to be some guy from Ontario that wants to be from Detroit :dontknow:
Oh snap! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:38 am

Wow...what a topique. I had an MS2000 for quite a while (concurrently with a JP8000), and loved its swiss army knife like utility. Best part was the DWGS and the nifty modulations you can do with the oscs...awesome for "alligator mayonnaise" type sounds. When I bought my Waldorf Q, it sat across from the MS2000. Only one could stay, and yellow won the day.

As for selling a TI for an MS...I just don't see it. BTW...I also own a TI, and it's worlds apart from the Q, complimenting it very nicely. The wavetable stuff alone is worth holding on to...more than outperforming the DWGS waves. Not to mention having the best filter of any VA...EVER. MS's filter was mondo weako.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:45 am

fOZf8 wrote:OUCH...regardless of comparing it to a Virus (bad idea), the main problem I have with eeverything stated in ithe original post is simply that the Prophecy SMOKES the MS in it's raw sound, and the overlayable knob structure makes it a play control genius of a synth. The MS2000 has always been it's gimmicky offspring.

yes comparing the virus is not a comparison at all... but the prophecy doesnt belong in this thread

totally different concept

i also agree pighood... the virus compliments waldorf gear very nicely
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com