Korg MS2000 - a classic in the making?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Re: Korg MS2000 - a classic in the making?

Post by killedaway » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:58 am

i don't believe the TI and MS2k can be compared directly, but considering the large differences between their sounds, interfaces and overall design & feel, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that someone might choose one over the other. it all depends on your needs and the sounds you like.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 am

True dat. If I ever get the stuff called money again, I'd love to stuff a Radias into an M3 frame to have a double-headed moisty beasty from heck.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:36 pm

[quote="fOZf8"].... that the Prophecy SMOKES the MS in it's raw sound, and the overlayable knob structure makes it a play control genius of a synth. The MS2000 has always been it's gimmicky offspring...../quote]

True! (mostly)

If the Prophecy was designed liked the MS 2000 with it's killer sound intact (including the log wheel), or the MS 2000 had the same synth engine as the Prophecy, you'd have an amazing keyboard with brilliant control.

I won't sell either (mine's a MS 2000R).
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
fOZf8 wrote:.... that the Prophecy SMOKES the MS in it's raw sound, and the overlayable knob structure makes it a play control genius of a synth. The MS2000 has always been it's gimmicky offspring...../quote]

True! (mostly)

If the Prophecy was designed liked the MS 2000 with it's killer sound intact (including the log wheel), or the MS 2000 had the same synth engine as the Prophecy, you'd have an amazing keyboard with brilliant control.

I won't sell either (mine's a MS 2000R).
oo

btw: The sound engine of the Electribe EA-1 mkII is based on the Prophecy (so, I've read), and judging from the basic tone (without the expressive capabilities of the P, of course) it does have THAT sound, which is nothing like the microKorg (a.k.a. the MS2000, Jr.).

My Electribe EA-1 mkII / microKorg duo is my poor man's Prophecy / MS2000 combo.

:)

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:27 pm

I've heard and lived with the Electribe EA MK 1, and that sounds more like an MS 2000 than a Prophecy. I really doubt that the MK 2 has the same synth engine as the Prophecy (mono MOSS), but I haven't heard it like the MK 1 (which I demoed for a month), nor have I researched whether it does and I've been wrong before (see Steve Hillage thread). :oops:

Any others?
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 pm

the EA-1 and EA-1mkII contain identical sound engines/dsp/whatever. the only sonic difference in the two is the swap from Decimator to Cross Mod in the Osc Mod section.

ckett

Post by ckett » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:03 am

How does the sound of the Radias compare to the MS2000? Is it more or less the same exact VA engine and sound? I know that it has more polyphony and has PCM waves included.

I remember the MS2000 having a nice massive bottom end to it.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:24 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:I think I tend to agree.

However, I would go for the first edition which is made in Japan, rather than the 2nd version, which I believe is made in China.
how would one distinguish between the two?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:12 am

Sir Ruff wrote:

However, I would go for the first edition which is made in Japan, rather than the 2nd version, which I believe is made in China.
One is blue and is called the MS2000 and the other is black and called the MS2000B?

HH

Post by HH » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:44 am

I love my MS

Back in the day, when Turnkey in london was not closed, i was choosing between him, a nordl ead 3 and waldorf q.
Really glad that i've made the choice with an MS.

It just has that "lo-fi" sound in it that i really love and can't compare with others, along with a sequencer and a prity nice delay.

Something i've made long time ago, everything MS2000 except the s**t drum part :)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/55853754475ce320/
Last edited by HH on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

One is blue and is called the MS2000 and the other is black and called the MS2000B?
ok, cool...

dammit... this thread has somehow got me totally interested in a synth that I NEVER had any interest before. And as it happens, a rack version just showed up in my hood for a decent price. #-o

Tell me this-I have a NL2 rack that I literally NEVER use (probably because of the damn stone age 2 digit patch "naming"). But it sounds good, and I don't really want to get rid of it because I have convinced myself that when all my other synths die, I will realize how amazing and capable this one is and start using it for everything. You really can't beat one knob per function and no menus.

What should I expect from an MS2000 that the NL2 doesn't already do? I keep hearing "lo-fi"-that certainly appeals to me-but aside from that, would I be floored with this VA when I never use the one I have? 4 note poly is a major turn off (says the man who really wants a Jupiter 4 or CS-50!)
Do you even post on vse bro?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:57 pm

it has digital waveforms from the korg DW series, as well as a few new ones, the vox waveform is particularly interesting, and the cross mod waveform is pretty cool

plus it has the love it or hate it distortion, and the nice FX section
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: What should I expect from an MS2000 that the NL2 doesn't already do? I keep hearing "lo-fi"-that certainly appeals to me-but aside from that, would I be floored with this VA when I never use the one I have? 4 note poly is a major turn off (says the man who really wants a Jupiter 4 or CS-50!)
the Mod Sequencer really is an inspired bit of synthy goodness, and can really awaken some great ideas when you're just noodling and programming "at random". the MS2000, to me, has a very guitar-like quality to its sound when you've got the filter open and you're hittin' your monitors hard; more so with the distortion turned on. it's bright (but not at all brittle), punchy, and aggressive -- terms i regularly see other owners using to describe the MS2k, but don't often see associated with the Lead series. if you've used an Alesis Ion, this is its polar opposite in the land of VA, sound-wise. i don't know how critical inbuilt effects are to you, but they're almost a prerequisite for me, and the tempo-synced delays are a real treat on the MS2k; it can be hard to resist pouring on at least a little on each patch! Joey mentioned some of the more useful OSC choices, and they're all quite good. the DWGS can really broaden the possibilities, and might even keep you from reaching for a ROMpler or FM synth on occasion -- cool, clean, digital goodness (or bloody train wreck too, if that's what you want).

the polyphony is c**p, it's true, but for leads and basses, you obviously won't notice. it's also capable of wonderful, soaring strings and pads, augmented even further by the aforementioned Mod Sequencer.

i could go on a bit more, but for me, those are the broad-strokes as to why i like the MS2000, and why one might consider it compared to the NL2.

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:17 pm

the distortion is alright on the ms2000, not very good but it can beef up something if you want it to. because im to poor and lazy to get a proper 303 or 303 clone all my acid is currently on the ms2k and the distortions makes it sound a fair bit bigger. cant ask for much, considering i only paid $250 for this synth

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 pm

killedaway wrote:the EA-1 and EA-1mkII contain identical sound engines/dsp/whatever. the only sonic difference in the two is the swap from Decimator to Cross Mod in the Osc Mod section.
oo

Here's a quote from Korg's website:

"The ELECTRIBE·A and ELECTRIBE·A mkII contains two of the analog modeling tone generators made famous on Korg's "Prophecy" and "Z1" synthesizers. So you can generate the warm, fat tone and rich distortion that make analog sounds stand out"

oo
Last edited by ronP on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100