Korg MS2000 - a classic in the making?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Re: Korg MS2000 - a classic in the making?

Post by killedaway » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:31 pm

killanator wrote:the distortion is alright on the ms2000, not very good but it can beef up something if you want it to. because im to poor and lazy to get a proper 303 or 303 clone all my acid is currently on the ms2k and the distortions makes it sound a fair bit bigger. cant ask for much, considering i only paid $250 for this synth
yeah, i've got some fun 303-like stuff on here. obviously it's not exact, but still really fun, useful acid stuff. (mK here)

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:36 pm

ronP wrote:
killedaway wrote:the EA-1 and EA-1mkII contain identical sound engines/dsp/whatever. the only sonic difference in the two is the swap from Decimator to Cross Mod in the Osc Mod section.
Here's a quote from Korg's website:

"The ELECTRIBE·A and ELECTRIBE·A mkII contains two of the analog modeling tone generators made famous on Korg's "Prophecy" and "Z1" synthesizers. So you can generate the warm, fat tone and rich distortion that make analog sounds stand out"
okay, but how come you quoted me?

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:39 pm

killedaway wrote:
ronP wrote:
killedaway wrote:the EA-1 and EA-1mkII contain identical sound engines/dsp/whatever. the only sonic difference in the two is the swap from Decimator to Cross Mod in the Osc Mod section.
Here's a quote from Korg's website:

"The ELECTRIBE·A and ELECTRIBE·A mkII contains two of the analog modeling tone generators made famous on Korg's "Prophecy" and "Z1" synthesizers. So you can generate the warm, fat tone and rich distortion that make analog sounds stand out"
okay, but how come you quoted me?
oo

For continuity, so readers don't think I hijacked the thread to promote Electribes!

:)

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 pm

killedaway wrote:
killanator wrote:the distortion is alright on the ms2000, not very good but it can beef up something if you want it to. because im to poor and lazy to get a proper 303 or 303 clone all my acid is currently on the ms2k and the distortions makes it sound a fair bit bigger. cant ask for much, considering i only paid $250 for this synth
yeah, i've got some fun 303-like stuff on here. obviously it's not exact, but still really fun, useful acid stuff. (mK here)

I was noodling around one day with the mod sequencer and got some acid type seq's out of her... Not like the 303 or anything but kinda acid like. Here is a live jam with everything coming from the MS2000... acid style (i think.)

acid injected Rendered.mp3 - 4.54MB

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:58 am

Four-note poly ... end of story for me ...

I had one for a while I found on the cheap yet mint ... (Traded it for an EMX-1 that I find far more useful ... )

It just never had a sound that worked for me ... the knobs are too small ... the whole thing is too big for what it did ... too digital and harsh-sounding to my ears ...

That said, I know a few people who use them and swear by them ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Diametro wrote:Four-note poly ... end of story for me ...

I had one for a while I found on the cheap yet mint ... (Traded it for an EMX-1 that I find far more useful ... )
Yup, five notes is better than four. ;)

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:54 am

i dont mind the polyphony as i usually use it as 2 duophonics, simple rythym with the mod sequence, or i just use all 4 voices for rythmic chords.

its fun and immediate, i dont see myself selling it anytime soon.
my main complaint would be the quality of those awful effects and the small knobs.
the ms2k does make me want a radias tho
blunted daydreaming

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:29 pm

The polyphony doesn't bother me neither. I have an MS2k and a MS2KR which I link together doing the ODD/EVEN thing. It does drop notes from time to time when I play 5 ( or more) odd or 5 (or more) even notes, but it's very rare.

Sound wise, I used to think it sounded pretty good until I got a MOSS card for my triton then my AN1X. Both of those VA's sound 1000 times better. But, I wouldn't think about sell the MS2K's as they are just too much fun to mess with.

It/they still can't even come close to my other synth arsenal ( Mono/Poly and Prophet'08 ) for sound and knob goodness.
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:38 pm

THEODICY wrote:
killedaway wrote:

I was noodling around one day with the mod sequencer and got some acid type seq's out of her... Not like the 303 or anything but kinda acid like. Here is a live jam with everything coming from the MS2000... acid style (i think.)

acid injected Rendered.mp3 - 4.54MB
ya ive tried doing it with the mod sequencer but i dont know how tog et the pitches the way i want them? is there some sort of screen where you can edit the semitones away from the original pitch of the key pressed? all my sequencing at the moment is done through ableton live. maybe i'll record some of the acid ive been doing lately and post it up here.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:12 pm

killanator wrote:
ya ive tried doing it with the mod sequencer but i dont know how tog et the pitches the way i want them? is there some sort of screen where you can edit the semitones away from the original pitch of the key pressed? all my sequencing at the moment is done through ableton live. maybe i'll record some of the acid ive been doing lately and post it up here.
Hmmm, someone needs to read the manual. Try page 25 in the basic guide section.

Here's a link to it (pdf) via the korg website:

http://korg.com/ReadMoreSupport.aspx?dld=2868
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:30 am

masstronaut wrote:

It actually makes a world of difference because you can play a chord with one hand and an interval with the other ... Six is obviously the best minimal solution because — gasp! — one can play a chord on — gasp! — both hands ...

I'm sort-of getting tired of button pushers (who have nothing to say and don't even "play") ... There was an electronic chick at a show I played at last night with a MicroKorg and an MPC1000 ... Each of her "songs" were great for about 15 seconds ... but not the, oh I don't know, 15 minutes she seemed to stretch them out to ...

I would have left, but she was the last act and using my digital projector ... I had been there for the first time about 12 hours earlier so I was by then ready to leave ...
Last edited by Diametro on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:48 am

Diametro wrote:
masstronaut wrote:

It actually makes a world of difference because you can play a chord with one hand and an internal with the other ... Six is obviously the best minimal solution because — gasp! — one can play a chord on — gasp! — both hands ...

I'm sort-of getting tired of button pushers (who have nothing to say and don't even "play") ... There was an electronic chick at a show I played at last night with a MicroKorg and an MPC1000 ... Each of her "songs" were great for about 15 seconds ... but not the, oh I don't know, 15 minutes she seemed to stretch them out to ...

I would have left, but she was the last act and using my digital projector ... I had been there for the first time about 12 hours earlier so I was by then ready to leave ...

im a button pusher and i agree to an extent. as a performance technique it lends itself more towards large orchestration if its goiing to be remotely entertaining and with just a microkorg and an mpc as a solo act - for my tastes no thanks because chances are its going to be too sparse on elements that are crucial to me. unless theres an emcee, vocalist, or another player that tends to be boring
blunted daydreaming

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:57 am

Diametro wrote: I'm sort-of getting tired of button pushers (who have nothing to say and don't even "play") ... There was an electronic chick at a show I played at last night with a MicroKorg and an MPC1000 ... Each of her "songs" were great for about 15 seconds ... but not the, oh I don't know, 15 minutes she seemed to stretch them out to ...
was she "DJ'ing" (sorry, i don't know what to call it when vinyl isn't involved) or just basically playing MIDI files/sequenced songs from her MPC? if it's the latter, yawn.

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:25 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
killanator wrote:
Hmmm, someone needs to read the manual. Try page 25 in the basic guide section.

Here's a link to it (pdf) via the korg website:

http://korg.com/ReadMoreSupport.aspx?dld=2868
ya i know ive done it before and figured it out as soon as i made that post. anyways made some pretty cool patterns but it seems more practical to just sequence in ableton(and there is no way to do slide in the seq on the ms2k, or is there?)

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:27 am

killedaway wrote:
Diametro wrote: I'm sort-of getting tired of button pushers (who have nothing to say and don't even "play") ... There was an electronic chick at a show I played at last night with a MicroKorg and an MPC1000 ... Each of her "songs" were great for about 15 seconds ... but not the, oh I don't know, 15 minutes she seemed to stretch them out to ...
was she "DJ'ing" (sorry, i don't know what to call it when vinyl isn't involved) or just basically playing MIDI files/sequenced songs from her MPC? if it's the latter, yawn.
I don't know ... I didn't get a good look at her while she was playing (I was too distracted by the hoola hoop girl next to her) ... I spoke with her briefly, but I didn't get into specifics about her technique ...

Also, I was too busy checking out the rest of the building (filled with other visual and other performing artists ... some of it was fairly neat ... ) since I didn't get to do that earlier ... and DRINKING ... (I have a fairly strong NOTHING BEFORE policy ... )

However, it wasn't bad background music ... at least it wasn't guitars ... (blows chunks because guitarists falling under the "douche rider" category — and that's many, imo — generally don't know how to STFU ... )

I shouldn't be too hard on button pushers ... I'm one, too ... In fact, I'd still like to get A LOT LOT better ...

This chick's problem wasn't her sound but that she should have been witching things up about 15x more than she did ... (Maybe I just have an incredibly short attention span, like 16-32 bars ... )