My $500 Prophet 5

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Re: My $500 Prophet 5

Post by hfinn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 am

Well honestly he has every right to sell it if he wants to. It's not his fault he bought it cheap. I would feel worse if he bought it from someone who had no idea what it was worth. But lets face it, he bought it off of Guitar Center. I do think he will regret it in time. There were what, a few hundred rev 2's made? But it's not my concern really if he will regret it later or not. If it were me I would keep it and try to sell the more easily replaced synths when money is less of a factor. I personally at this point could not go without a Prophet.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:16 am

I'm being shamed now? :roll: :lol:

Honestly, didn't buy it to flip but life has a way of making choices for you. If I had more money it wouldn't be going and it's not the only thing I'm selling and I might need to sell more. I am purchasing a compromise synth that while maybe not a replacement for a P5 (and what is?) ought to do just fine and allows me to have a thick vintage poly and some needed cash from selling this.

Also, it's not like I just bought the synth and flipped it (which I still think is perfectly ok but for the sake of warped enthusiast ethics, I'll entertain the notion). I did have it repaired by the tech most recomended to me by other prophet owners and had a nice mod added. So, I am providing a nicer synth to the buyer than what I got...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:53 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting you at all. You have every right to do what you want with it. You bought it fair and square.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:25 am

I would have flipped it too... anyone who passes on something they can buy for $500 and sell for $3000 is an idiot...unless you can't afford the $500 in the first place.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:19 am

I don't think anybody's shaming you Otto. It's just so rare and lorded over that it's hard to believe anyone wouldn't want it. And that getting it for $500 is like catching lightning in a bottle. But if you really loved it, found it absolutely essential and had time to play with it then you wouldn't be selling it.

Truth be told, in the same boat I probably would have flipped it and gotten started on a modular or bought a Serge panel. That's my current goal. I really want to save up and get a Serge animal or something.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:42 am

It's your synth and you can do what you like with it without bothering about who will think what on here. I've flipped synths, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not (simply because I didn't like it). Anyone who moans about flippers better go whinge to the second hand car salesman for buying low, servicing and cleaning up his cars and making a profit when he sells them. If someone is too lazy to research the value or not clean up/repair an item before selling it then tough.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:07 pm

hfinn wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting you at all. You have every right to do what you want with it. You bought it fair and square.
That's wasn't aimed at you Finnie. Thanks
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Preemptive drama smasher alert -

If this in anyway turns into some flame war about otto flipping his synth, there will be actions taken.

anyhow...
I would have done the same. No sense in having a big dinosaur kicking about when the cash would be way more exciting or useful. h**l I would have immediately flogged it for 2,500.00 and taken my girlfriend to the beach for a week and half.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:34 pm

I just don't mention what I pay for synths. That solves this problem if I ever go to sell it again. I figure it's really no ones business anyway.

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:41 am

Buy low, sell high! Textbook stuff! I hope you sell for your asking price. In my club you get a medal! :D
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:39 am

tallowwaters wrote:Preemptive drama smasher alert -

If this in anyway turns into some flame war about otto flipping his synth, there will be actions taken.

anyhow...
I would have done the same. No sense in having a big dinosaur kicking about when the cash would be way more exciting or useful. h**l I would have immediately flogged it for 2,500.00 and taken my girlfriend to the beach for a week and half.
I agree. No sense in having a "vintage synth" kicking about when the cash would be way more exciting or useful...

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:43 am

I've been known to flip cars for extra money. Right now, I have five that are for sale and two incoming. Last week I bought two others. I keep the best ones for my self. I was starting to do that with synth, but I don't want it to distract from my music. As I refine my setup, I find that I don't have a lot of acquisition syndrome.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

D-rex
Gear: DSI Tetra, Moog MF-102 & MF-105, Vestax Controller One, Rane TTM-56, Akai XR20, Korg Kontrol 49
Band: Anti-Dream Machine

Post by D-rex » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:52 pm

If you can sell it and make a little exrta cash there's nothing wrong with that. I bought some Event Asp8 studio monitors from guitar center at their memorial day sale for $850. The original pirce was $1300. I sold them 4 months later for $1100. I got another pair of Event Tr8's (which are almost as good) for $530. Point of this story is you should sell gear for what you think it's worth, not how much you actually paid for it.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:09 pm

i would have flipped that in a second otto, good on you.

make that money haha
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Damn shame but I don't see anything wrong with it, although I'd definitely keep it for $500! I don't ever buy to flip, but I do take into account the resale value just in case it turns out that I don't gel with said item. As a result I opt for items below - or at least at - market value.

Be interesting to see how much you get for it...:D