I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
beats.bass

first synth any help??...

Post by beats.bass » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:19 am

I'm looking to buy my first synth, I'm willing to spend $420, If I can't find anything with that then I would probaby be spending $100 more. I just bought Live Ableton and I want a synth controller to be able to make hip-hop beats and electro mixes. I am looking for a keyboard since I am in piano classes. I would be using my laptop without an audio interface because I still don't have enough money. I was about to buy Microkorg but I have been reading reviews an I got discouraged, I also wanted a synth with faders. Is a led screen neccesary if I am a beginner?
My friend has a novation sl-25 is this a good choice for a first synth? I am open to any suggestions, I really need help on this to make a right decision.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Re: first synth any help??...

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:39 am

beats.bass wrote:I'm looking to buy my first synth, I'm willing to spend $420, If I can't find anything with that then I would probaby be spending $100 more. I just bought Live Ableton and I want a synth controller to be able to make hip-hop beats and electro mixes. I am looking for a keyboard since I am in piano classes. I would be using my laptop without an audio interface because I still don't have enough money. I was about to buy Microkorg but I have been reading reviews an I got discouraged, I also wanted a synth with faders. Is a led screen neccesary if I am a beginner?
My friend has a novation sl-25 is this a good choice for a first synth? I am open to any suggestions, I really need help on this to make a right decision.
You're best posting a new thread in the 'Buyer's Guide' for this.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Syn the Sizer

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Syn the Sizer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:45 am

Nords are the Marmite of the synth world,You either love em or hate em,but either way you can't deny they've probably been one of the most successful selling new breed of VA,and part of the reason is for the way in which you can interact with it,no fuss and no clutter or menus to dig into,everything you need is on the front panel,its no Moog or Arp,but if your going in with that preconception you'll fall flat.Whilst they do at least convincing emulations of classics like the Prophets,they also have a sound of their own,I do beleive they will become a celebrated Instrument in years to come,most prominently the MK1,as for Dropping prices,NL1/2/3 seem to hold prices quite well.Not seen that many MK1 keyboards at all on ebay in the last 3 years and the MK2 are still popular fetching on average around £3-450 mark.

Synths nowadays are so full of overprocessing from efx,that our ears and minds become accustomed to certain trends of sound,and suspect this is why many view the Nords as cold,because they are raw Sounding and untreated,the fact that the OP said he could coax something of interest out of the NL VST tells part of the story,in comparison,the VST patches translate well to the hardware,but lack the FX,all the parameters are the same,I've done a few A/B comparisons, the NL take time to adjust to become gratifying soundwise,I've had my NL1 for almost 12 years and its been heavily used on most stuff I've done

I do think that Nord have milked the VA thing,simply revamping the Livery and adding a few extra Voices per model,from the MK1 to the 2X,there is little difference,but soundwise between them,nothing ever sounded as good as the Original the sound seems to be more smoother and warmer on the MK1.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:04 am

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I played a 2X in Sound Control a while back, and whilst it definitely didn't floor me completely, I do remember it sounding rather good.

You compare it to the ION as well, which is an interesting point since I just couldn't get into its overall sound. It's clear that it is indeed capable of some amazing sounds (as your videos clearly point out), but I just couldn't coax stuff like that out of it.

Maybe the NL2 is designed for people like me who lack synthesis chops? Less margin for error. ;)

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:53 am

nathanscribe wrote:I'd rather have something I can tweak entirely on the panel over something with dozens of hideous menus I have to wade through.
Same here. I had a Nord 1 and liked it for exactly that reason, and I thought it sounded good, and it was built like a tank

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:26 am

It's all subjective. Two things.

Firstly, I think you are into the sounds of VAs (Waldorfs, Clavias, Access, Alesis Ion/Micron) or you're not. When I started collecting synths and feverishly reading about them just under two years ago I wanted nothing more in the universe than a Waldorf Q. When I got a chance to jump on one for a good price I was ecstatic. The possibilities, I read, were indeed endless. Unfortunately the sound of it just wasn't for me. Too clean, not warm enough, too much high end. But that's just my ears. When I programmed the same patches into my JX10 and Waldorf Pulse I preferred them much more. I kept it around for awhile but sold it as soon as I needed money for another synth.

And I don't necessarily hate VAs. For instance, I like the sound that comes out of my AN generator on my EX5R much more than I ever liked the Q.

Secondly, in retrospective, many of the glowing reviews of the Q that I read were older ones before the level that softsynths today have reached. I think the quality of softsynths today has really dampened the appeal of the VAs from the late 90s and even today. You seem them for sale on Ebay constantly. Endless streams of people who thought that Ions, Blofelds, Viruses and Qs would do much more for them then they ended up doing.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

cl516

Post by cl516 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:34 am

If one actually makes music with their synthesizers...
then I actually think a lot of this love / hate depends heavily on your recording setup.
I won't name specific items, but early on I had a crappy recording situation, and I blamed the synths. Incorrectly.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:37 pm

plikestechno wrote:You seem them for sale on Ebay constantly. Endless streams of people who thought that Ions, Blofelds, Viruses and Qs would do much more for them then they ended up doing.
i don't see how you could possibly arrive at that conclusion just because there's a lot up on Ebay.

Byrthfood

Post by Byrthfood » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:46 pm

To me the best thing about the Nords is how fun and easy they are to program. Too bad I don't care much for their VA sound. I hate the knobs on the DSI stuff.
Synthi: DSI Polyevolver, DSI Prophet 08, Moog Source, Moog Voyager, Roland Fantom X8, Generalmusic S2 and SK88, Yamaha RM50, MFB Kult

Future: Macbeth X-Factor

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:29 pm

killedaway wrote:
plikestechno wrote:You seem them for sale on Ebay constantly. Endless streams of people who thought that Ions, Blofelds, Viruses and Qs would do much more for them then they ended up doing.
i don't see how you could possibly arrive at that conclusion just because there's a lot up on Ebay.
I was partially relating it to my experience with wanting a Waldorf Q forever and then being disappointed with its sound. Also there are synths that were made by the bucketloads that you rarely see on Ebay because nobody is selling theirs. Pro-Ones and D50s for instance. Which says something about them. I'd venture that a quarter of the synths for sale on Ebay were purchased and resold because they didn't live up to the buyers hopes. A lot fo the listings are people just handing the synths around the group.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:48 pm

shaft9000 wrote:hmmmm.....give it two weeks and you'll love it, Jexus!

I don't understand the 'thin sound' comment, though.

I came here to cry a week after the purchase. So imagine my reaction 2 days after. Sea of tears ;)
Thin... well... I'm not a fan of "phatness" phenomenon, in fact I hate and never crate any "phat sounds" (or at least try not to...what is a phat sound anywayz lol), but the Nord's sound and features make me feel like I lost conscience and can't move my arms and feet. I can just move my head around.
I don't need PHATNESS. All I'd like is a CONVINCING basic sound.
seamonkey wrote:
Sorry this is such a bummer for you but hopefully venting in this forum will help. =D>
Well, I thought so, but...
Synthprophet wrote:So you had to buy it to conclude that it didn't come with an LCD display? =D>
Look at a synth, try it and read about the specs on the internet before buying. At least that would be a good start.
What happened to your famous words "It's not what a synth can do, but what a man can do with a synth" or whatever that fancy quote was. Give it some time dude.
WHat is the whining about lack of patchbuttons? Compared to so many other synths, this one has 4 slots after all, which you can all layer. The LFO/ARP option is a weak point. I think so too, however it didn't make me enter a forum and start yelling like a small child. What you see is what you get, so Im surprised about most of your complainings.
Seems like coming here and telling everyone 'hey I just bought a Jupiter 4" and receiving a list of congratulations is perfectly fine, but coming here to say that a synth with an impressive history has turned out to be a*s is not fine.
I don't read about synths, I just buy them to explore them at home where I'm comfortable. You'll admit that it's easier to do what you want with wood, hammer, saw, nails, rope and glue than with just a piece of wood and a broken hammer. And add to that tool-box-analogy the ridiculous price ratio;
felis wrote: the Ion is twice the synth for half the price
EXACTLY.
nathanscribe wrote:I'd rather have something I can tweak entirely on the panel over something with dozens of hideous menus I have to wade through. I like its simplicity. The same accusations could be made (ie, lack of funcionality, limitations on control, etc) of many other synths that are perfectly good when you use them with imagination.
Yep I agree with what you said but THE PRICE, the price of this 5kg of features is just over the top. If it's simple, and it's meant to be used for simple music, then the price should be... more simple by removing one digit from the number (hehe). It would be a very nice synth for 400 euros instead of 1000 (I behave like an old lady shocked by the rising prices of groceries, I know that).
Yoozer wrote:
- displays require more programming. There's a good reason they're skimped on, even if this sucks completely.
- dedicated outboard effect boxes are generally superior
- a synth which relies on effects may hide a weak basic character
- patches should sound good without effects and better with.
The first one I didn't get. Displays are bad because people feel an urge to program deeper / or displays require the engineering team to spend more time designing the synth ?

Dedicated outboard effect boxes are generally superior but the effects are just another section of the synth architecture that give it its specific character and individuality. Moreover, I'm sure lots of us do use the internal effects often. You can skip the delay cause you have an RE-201, but you won't skip choruses that often.
Patches should sound good without effects. I agree. Unfortunately on the Nord Lead they don't.
clusterchord wrote:
It's great for simple sounds, that you always need in a mix.
Okay, I'm beginning to understand it's purpose...

So, Nord Modular next time.
cheers
Last edited by Jexus on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:39 pm

I'm going to repeat what some other said here:

Jexus. The NL3 DOES solve a lot of the gripes you have with the NL2

Many of you are used to hearing digital synths bathed in onboard effects (of which the Nord lead has none of). Who uses onboard effects anyway?

I would think that anyone who describes the NL sound as thin/sterile has not used the OSC stack/detune function (may not be available on the NL2???)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:41 pm

On a related issue, has the Nord Modular rack been discontinued?

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:13 pm

sensorium wrote:Who uses onboard effects anyway?
i do, every chance i get. i despise outboard gear, but i do own it for those times when my synths are missing certain effects.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 am

sensorium wrote:I'm going to repeat what some other said here:

Jexus. The NL3 DOES solve a lot of the gripes you have with the NL2

Many of you are used to hearing digital synths bathed in onboard effects (of which the Nord lead has none of). Who uses onboard effects anyway?

I would think that anyone who describes the NL sound as thin/sterile has not used the OSC stack/detune function (may not be available on the NL2???)
i use onboard effects all the time... especially on the virus, they are all modulatable by the LFOs and mod matrix... not many other synths do that

I even process my analog gear through its fx section

the NL3 is definitely the best of the nord lead series though... I'll agree with that
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com