I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:31 pm

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Yoozer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:03 am

nathanscribe wrote:On a related issue, has the Nord Modular rack been discontinued?
Since a long time already; even the G2's going EOL.
Jexus wrote: The first one I didn't get. Displays are bad because people feel an urge to program deeper / or displays require the engineering team to spend more time designing the synth ?
Engineering team, yes :).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

User avatar
Carey M
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:08 pm
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan
Location: Turku, Finland, EU
Contact:

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Carey M » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:34 am

killedaway wrote:i despise outboard gear
No you don't. What? Really? What? Why?

- CM

User avatar
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:22 am
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood
Location: California, US

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by killedaway » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:54 am

Carey M wrote:
killedaway wrote:i despise outboard gear
No you don't. What? Really? What? Why?

- CM
:lol:

okay, well, i suppose i don't despise outboard effects themselves, but i really don't like patching out; i don't like the cabling; the extra steps; dealing with each manufacturer's different and often quirky methods of patch storage, editing, and MIDI implementation (or lack thereof); the extra space it all eats up in my already tiny studio (and don't anyone dare suggest software!); the added cost, etc...

while internal effects are often sonically inferior to quality outboard, i like taking those effects to their limit, working within their limitations, or oftentimes finding interesting ways to exploit some of the weaker or more limited fare, and working harder on my programming to rely more on the fundamental sound and less on effects to begin with. i think a lot of musicians get caught up in the elitist outboard trap, just like those nose-in-the-air analog purist finger-waggers -- not everyone, but some certainly. there is just so much to be done with onboard effects, and so many ways to incorporate it into your sound. it's there, use it. find ways to make it unique and mix-worthy.

of course, the huge caveat here is that i don't require realism in my effects whatsoever. for me, that's the joy of electronic music; i don't care if the reverb doesn't sound like a real space, or if the compression is pumping, or if the distortion is brittle... i'll make it work for me.
1.5.9.13
1.5.9.13

User avatar
spookyman
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:13 am
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff
Location: Jura, Switzerland

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by spookyman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:29 am

Jexus, i think you should buy a modular. But a real modular ! Eurorack format (PlanB, AS, doepfer, cwejman, etc...) or a little bit a bigger one...dotcom, MOTM, Modcan, Mos-Lab, DIY...

Nord Modular is also fun, if you are more on the Screen Editing side. TSo you have a lot of possibilities.

A Nord Lead 2 is much too limited for your needs.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

User avatar
aeon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:18 am
Location: a lily-pad in the pool of my mind.
Contact:

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by aeon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Jexus wrote:Nord Modular next time.
Yes. =D>

Repeat this many times. [-o<

I love my Nord Modular G1. A sound that tickles my ear with patching flexibility that rarely leaves me wanting.


cheers,
Ian

User avatar
soundxplorer
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:48 am
Location: PA

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:33 pm

I can totally understand your disappointment, as I just sold my Nord Lead 1.
I actually liked it, but on my limited budget I had to draw the line because it didn't really sound any better than the soft synths I have (namely, Sonic Projects OP-X).

The NL1 was THE first VA synth almost 15 years ago, and the NL2X you can buy today still has pretty much the same synthesis engine in it. Very little has changed about it, other than a couple of features and tech specs like polyphony. (I'm not including the NL3, since it was very different). That's why it seems limited compared to newer synths.

I think the user interface is one reason why it was/is so popular, and it is one of the reasons why I liked it. Just about everything has a dedicated knob or button (with a few things requiring a shift key press). I owned an Alesis ION for about three years and I disliked its user interface. Despite the great number of knobs on the ION, you have to go menu diving for a lot of things. I didn't like the rotary encoders either.

As for the sound of the Nord stuff, it's a love/hate thing like most other people have said. You have to keep the resonance turned down to keep things sounding thicker. With the resonance set anywhere between zero and maybe 1/4 the way up, I actually like the gritty sound of the filter. I think its a pretty good software emulation of the "SSM chip" sound, though I greatly prefer real analog.

So that's how I came to my current "rule": software belongs on the computer. I have zero interest in VAs anymore. If I buy a hardware synth, it's going to be real analog.

User avatar
ryryoftokyo
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 1:19 am
Real name: Ryan
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:31 am

I have to say, I'm surprised that the Nords get all this hype for being as featureless and thin as they are...oh, you're putting a 2 band EQ on the Nord Wave??? wow....my 1989 Buick Lesabre tape deck has one of those! Ugh. It's sad that the synth that was simply made to be a copy of the NL1 (AN1x), turned out to be kicking the a*s of every new model Clavia has thrown out at the market (yes, the wave too....sorry, it blows).

The C1 however, is awesome...I will give Clavia that...but even that is overpriced as h**l.

my two cents...and at the end of the day, it's just preference.

- ry
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Gamma Goblin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:27 pm
Location: SW USA

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Gamma Goblin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:54 am

If you bought a 2x and don't have any idea how to actually use it as an instrument then who's fault is that? The Nord synths are pure magic in the right hands with the right hardware/software FX and some programming talent. Stop buying professional instruments then whining about it if you have no desire to explore past the factory presets. Yes, I do agree that Nord could have put some standard FX in the 2x for the price but that's what outboard FX are made for. And what the h**l is this "thin sounding" stuff about? I've never had a problem getting some decent teeth rattling deep bass from my 2x. Don't forget that the sound you hear is only as good as the monitors you use and how well your ears and brain work together. : )

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:40 am
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z
Location: Regina, SK
Contact:

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Ry-Fi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:20 am

Gamma Goblin wrote:If you bought a 2x and don't have any idea how to actually use it as an instrument then who's fault is that? The Nord synths are pure magic in the right hands with the right hardware/software FX and some programming talent. Stop buying professional instruments then whining about it if you have no desire to explore past the factory presets. Yes, I do agree that Nord could have put some standard FX in the 2x for the price but that's what outboard FX are made for. And what the h**l is this "thin sounding" stuff about? I've never had a problem getting some decent teeth rattling deep bass from my 2x. Don't forget that the sound you hear is only as good as the monitors you use and how well your ears and brain work together. : )
If you're talking about the OP, Jexus, then you're obviously in the dark. Search Youtube for his videos. This man KNOWS how to use a synth!

He's a fantastic sound designer and an adept keyboard player. I for one trust his assessment of this synth...

Gamma Goblin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:27 pm
Location: SW USA

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Gamma Goblin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:01 am

Good for you Ry-Fi, I'm glad you put so much trust in others because of Youtube. My comments were about the original "jexus" post. Looking at his website only makes my point more solid. A massive collection of gear but not a mention of any professional level monitors or sound treatment in his studio. The boom box doesn't count. His music sound pretty good in my opinion but again my main point is don't buy an expensive synth then b***h about how crappy it sounds when you're the one that swapped some cash for the synth in the first place. Where's the logic in that. Next we'll hear someone say that " I just paid $5000 for an old Arp2600 but my Roland Fantom sounds better so I want my money back". Just because you have a big kitchen doesn't automatically make you a great cook.

User avatar
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:22 am
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood
Location: California, US

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by killedaway » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:16 am

Gamma Goblin wrote:Good for you Ry-Fi, I'm glad you put so much trust in others because of Youtube. My comments were about the original "jexus" post. Looking at his website only makes my point more solid. A massive collection of gear but not a mention of any professional level monitors or sound treatment in his studio. The boom box doesn't count.
his website is about electronic instruments and effects, not monitors. you're making a ton of assumptions here; that Jexus is inept at programming a particular synth simply because he doesn't like the overall sound and feature-set; that he isn't able to "hear" the amazing properties of a particular synth because he lacks accurate monitors; and lastly, that Ry-Fi puts a lot of trust in others "because of Youtube" -- by that same token, you're putting a lot of trust in others because of their posts on an internet forum. and also by your logic, perhaps the "decent teeth rattling deep bass" is due to poor monitoring on your part; maybe your kit is bass-heavy. we don't know, but isn't that the point? you don't need to make all of these assumptions and wild accusations.

people are always going to have differing opinions; the very least you could do is try to be open and constructive when debating any points you don't agree with.
1.5.9.13
1.5.9.13

User avatar
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1885
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:13 pm
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Joey » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:31 am

Gamma Goblin wrote:Good for you Ry-Fi, I'm glad you put so much trust in others because of Youtube. My comments were about the original "jexus" post. Looking at his website only makes my point more solid. A massive collection of gear but not a mention of any professional level monitors or sound treatment in his studio. The boom box doesn't count. His music sound pretty good in my opinion but again my main point is don't buy an expensive synth then b***h about how crappy it sounds when you're the one that swapped some cash for the synth in the first place. Where's the logic in that. Next we'll hear someone say that " I just paid $5000 for an old Arp2600 but my Roland Fantom sounds better so I want my money back". Just because you have a big kitchen doesn't automatically make you a great cook.
dude get off your high horse

jexus collects synth and demos them all for the world to see

who really cares about his outboard gear?

and does he really have any pictures of his recording rig up anyway? no

so you really don't know what he has

and what he has has nothing to do with his videos

and I'd say he knows what hes doing in his kitchen
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:40 am
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z
Location: Regina, SK
Contact:

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Ry-Fi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:40 am

Gamma Goblin wrote:Good for you Ry-Fi, I'm glad you put so much trust in others because of Youtube.
Huh? Oh brother... Look, I just felt that your line
If you bought a 2x and don't have any idea how to actually use it as an instrument then who's fault is that?
was harsh and unfounded since I happened to know that Jexus definitely does know how to synth it up. I just wanted to point out that he's not some idiot, and to give you a means of verifying that by checking out his stuff. He's fairly known around here. Obviously you didn't know anything about him, and that's fine, but that's exactly why you shouldn't go throwing around accusations about someone's lack of skills like that. Anyways, that's all I was doing. I'm not some fanboy or brainless little sheep, thank you very much.

(Obviously if I was considering buying a Nord, I would only trust myself to determine if it was the right synth for me or not, not some stranger on the 'Net)

User avatar
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Posts: 902
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:42 pm
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21
Location: Old Blighty

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Jack Spider » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:57 am

Gamma Goblin - in terms of Jexus not knowing how to use his gear, you are wrong. You haven't been around VSE long enough to realise this - Jexus knows how to use his gear and just because you don't agree with his feelings about the Nord, it doesn't mean that he is wrong.

If you read his postings, you'll see that his complaints also extend to its features, which have nothing to do with outboard. With the gear he has, do you not think he's in a position to say when something's not cutting it?

Have a read through of your postings in this thread - you came across as arrogant, presumptious and rude. You might want to tone it down a little.

Cheers.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Gamma Goblin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:27 pm
Location: SW USA

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Gamma Goblin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Jack, not trying to be rude, just giving an honest opinion, sorry if I came across that way. If everyone here wants to defend personal synth reviews from favorite forum members that's really none of my business. And reviewing a synths sound characteristics without a quality way to do so, well I guess I just won't understand why anyone could defend that. Yes the Nord is very dry sounding, I do agree with that but that's just how Nords are. Maybe Jexus can get un-disappointed with his big purchase with some simple outboard FX routing. The 2x really does sound great even with some basic reverb or delay. Just trying to help, sorry again if I came across a bit harsh but I just couldn't sit back and see this wonderful little synth be put in such bad light in my opinion. Just opinions though...... Cheers!

And to the poster about bass heavy monitoring. I actually have three studios that I use (I own one of them) and our Genelecs and Adams do a fine job of providing the accuracy that we need. I actually used my old NL2 about four years ago at Abby in the UK to work on a long time friends concert album/DVD that we were adding some orchestral stuff to along with the final mixing/mastering. Everyone there loved the warm rawness of the Nord sound but the Eventide Orville helped a bit by adding some beautiful FX to its sound. We all come from different backgrounds and experiences so I again apologize for coming across a bit harsh in my defense of the Nord Lead, I really didn't mean it that way. : )

Post Reply