I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by D-Collector » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:44 pm

I haven't tried the Nord Lead, but I have tried the Wave quite extensively. There is some nice sound in there, but overall I found it to be a poorly constructed (the large visible gaps!) synth with a weird and awkward layout. Also I have tested the Stage and I really don't think the Nords justify their price tags. Why is the swedish gear so expensive anyway? 1600 Euros for a Machinedrum -UW? In 2000 I bought a Porsche 924 in good condition for roughly the same amount of money. Sick right?

FluoD

Post by FluoD » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:06 pm

I was looking at the 2x as a future addition to my juno 106. i know its just one persons opinion, but this has really made me question whether the nord can acheive the sounds of something like the jupiters or prophets. obviously i can;t turn this into a buyers guide thread, but advice is appreciated.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Gamma Goblin wrote:Jack, not trying to be rude, just giving an honest opinion, sorry if I came across that way. If everyone here wants to defend personal synth reviews from favorite forum members that's really none of my business. And reviewing a synths sound characteristics without a quality way to do so, well I guess I just won't understand why anyone could defend that. Yes the Nord is very dry sounding, I do agree with that but that's just how Nords are. Maybe Jexus can get un-disappointed with his big purchase with some simple outboard FX routing. The 2x really does sound great even with some basic reverb or delay. Just trying to help, sorry again if I came across a bit harsh but I just couldn't sit back and see this wonderful little synth be put in such bad light in my opinion. Just opinions though...... Cheers!

And to the poster about bass heavy monitoring. I actually have three studios that I use (I own one of them) and our Genelecs and Adams do a fine job of providing the accuracy that we need. I actually used my old NL2 about four years ago at Abby in the UK to work on a long time friends concert album/DVD that we were adding some orchestral stuff to along with the final mixing/mastering. Everyone there loved the warm rawness of the Nord sound but the Eventide Orville helped a bit by adding some beautiful FX to its sound. We all come from different backgrounds and experiences so I again apologize for coming across a bit harsh in my defense of the Nord Lead, I really didn't mean it that way. : )

listen

jexus's point is that the synth should sound good without any outboard fx, which is an extremely valid point, and something that most synth users stand by

no guitarist would buy a guitar that he didnt like the tone of unless he couldnt afford anything else, the same applies for synths

secondly, i use adam monitors as well, and i thought the nl2x sounded like s**t regardless of the monitoring setup

so its not about what outboard gear he uses or what monitors he has, he just doenst like the sound or features of the synth..
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Gamma Goblin

Post by Gamma Goblin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:58 pm

FluoD, the NL2x is very different from the Prophet and Jupiter. I'm going to have to agree with some of the above comments that by itself it can sound a bit dry and limited "not shitty like the above poster mentioned" but it is more of a unique raw "Nordish" type of sound that is pretty good for a VA synth in the $1000 range. Please try one before you make an expensive investment like this or for any synth or other piece of studio gear you want down the road. Here is a quick 2x audio demo that I just made that shows what some outboard FX can do to give the Nords raw sound some life. I know that the FX I used is very high end and out of the budget of most but even a basic Lexicon or TC rack can do wonders for this synth.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=01bd ... f6e8ebb871

Syn the Sizer

Post by Syn the Sizer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:09 pm

Just as a side reference,could Jexus not post us a Video demo of some of the stuff he Did coax out of the Nord,his overall synth sound design demos are superb,tastes cast aside I'd still be interested to hear/See what his programming on the Nord reveals/achieves :D

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Gamma Goblin wrote:Jack, not trying to be rude, just giving an honest opinion, sorry if I came across that way. If everyone here wants to defend personal synth reviews from favorite forum members that's really none of my business. And reviewing a synths sound characteristics without a quality way to do so, well I guess I just won't understand why anyone could defend that.
We all come from different backgrounds and experiences so I again apologize for coming across a bit harsh in my defense of the Nord Lead, I really didn't mean it that way. : )
Let me first to say I appreciate you explaining your comment as well as apologizing, yet, I've never understand why people apologize and then add a but.........which to me nullifies the initial apology. You say you were just giving an honest opinion and yet you criticize jexus for giving his honest opinion of the Nord Lead(scratches head), then you top off your apology by saying "if everyone one here wants to defend personal synth reviews from a favorite forum member" implying....what? that jexus is a so called favorite forum member who is allowed to trash synths and get away with it.

Anyone who has been around synthesizers and other pieces of studio gear knows what sounds good to my ears may sound like absolute shite to another...the word subjective is used over and over again when describing these differences in what we hear and like.
Some folks love the Virus stuff, other folks the Nords, Rolands..Yamahas. I personally didn't care for the sound of my Nord lead 3 when I had it, I love the user friendly interface and to my eyes it's one helluva sexy looking synth. I now own an Andromeda, many people love the Andromeda and others hate it, it has also been described as having a thin sound by some.

I think we have to stop taking these differences in opinions personally, it's as if, if someone criticizes a certain synth we take it personally because we feel our personal taste is being criticized.

Please keep in mind jexus was giving an opinion and his first impressions on a synth he had just spent hard earned cash on, he was not writing a review.
Jexus' youtube videos demoing synths are legendary, he coaxes sounds of synths you wouldn't think possible. I remember the one he did for the Oberheim OB12 which was amazing, amazing enough I wanted to find one on ebay and buy it. :lol:
Would I not buy a Nord Lead because jexus didn't like it....h**l NO!! I've got my own ears.

I hope these first interactions with other members here does not turn you off or cause you to feel you are being singled out. We value and welcome new members and their opinions.
I hope you continue to be a contributing member here and look forward to reading your comments in the future. :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Gamma Goblin

Post by Gamma Goblin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Seamonkey, its all good my friend!!! I can personally attest to the "subjective" part of owning and using synths and other musical devices. A few years back I created a part for song that helped the album we were producing go Platinum and the sound came from a circuit bent (severely hacked up) DX7. The sound we made with that thing gave that particular song a unique edge that made it stand out from other artist productions at the time. I guess I see any synth as just one small part of a foundation or building block for creating a unique sound and the Nord stuff have never let me down in that regard. To me it's like having all of the pieces to a Ferrari laying on the floor all separated but just waiting to be assembled into a thing of beauty. The Nord (or any synth) to me is just one of those pieces but after some assembling with FX, layering and a few tricks the results can be very rewarding. Thanks for the polite comments Seamonkey, I'll start taking some of these post here a bit less personally in the future. : )

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:16 pm

killedaway wrote:
Carey M wrote:
killedaway wrote:i despise outboard gear
No you don't. What? Really? What? Why?

- CM
:lol:

okay, well, i suppose i don't despise outboard effects themselves, but i really don't like patching out; i don't like the cabling;
Oh yes, the cabling.

Good lord, what a mess. Worst part; when you're done, you can do it all over again :(.
the extra steps; dealing with each manufacturer's different and often quirky methods of patch storage, editing, and MIDI implementation (or lack thereof); the extra space it all eats up in my already tiny studio
Don't buy several effects units; just buy one high-quality big one :).
(and don't anyone dare suggest software!);
Well, you know what you're missing... Since nobody is going to dig a cave in their back yard, I think it's reasonably safe to say that effects in the box beat those out the box when you're below a certain price level.
i think a lot of musicians get caught up in the elitist outboard trap
Thing is, a good sound can get really really great with a high-quality reverb behind it; just a chorus and reverb turn a DX7 or Microwave into something absolutely magical. A 1998 Virtualizer doesn't - it makes 'm sound worse. There's a lot of c**p outboard out there - lifeless chorus and metallic reverbs, which is sort of like throwing a steak in McDonalds grease that hasn't been replaced for a week.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:00 pm

Yoozer wrote:
i think a lot of musicians get caught up in the elitist outboard trap
Thing is, a good sound can get really really great with a high-quality reverb behind it; just a chorus and reverb turn a DX7 or Microwave into something absolutely magical. A 1998 Virtualizer doesn't - it makes 'm sound worse. There's a lot of c**p outboard out there - lifeless chorus and metallic reverbs, which is sort of like throwing a steak in McDonalds grease that hasn't been replaced for a week.
ah, but you left out the most important part of my reply:
killedaway wrote:of course, the huge caveat here is that i don't require realism in my effects whatsoever. for me, that's the joy of electronic music; i don't care if the reverb doesn't sound like a real space, or if the compression is pumping, or if the distortion is brittle... i'll make it work for me.
i could spend more on outboard, but i choose not to. those high-end racks don't currently offer me anything i really want or need. whether or not a Virtualizer (which is one of the best values going for a vocoder, actually) can make the DX7's sound into "something absolutely magical" is completely subjective. metallic reverb? lifeless chorus? bring it. i certainly concede that if i were after "realistic", or clean and natural-sounding effects, i would be inclined to go in a different direction. as it stands, i'd rather make use of the effects already residing within my synthesizers than start searching for the right effect outside.

i guess it's sort of a catch 22: on the one hand, i am sometimes locked into certain sounds, as the synth may be lacking a particular type of effect or setting that i am unable to achieve, but on the other hand, it can be liberating to work within that limitation and see what solutions i can find. sometimes i like the results so much that i wonder if i wasn't trying to rely on effects to put the sparkle in a sound that simply needed a little more work.

your points are well-received, Yoozer, thanks. i guess i just operate a little differently when it comes to effects. i do have some rack stuff, but you probably wouldn't like it -- it's almost all cheapies! :lol:

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Gamma Goblin wrote:Jack, not trying to be rude, just giving an honest opinion, sorry if I came across that way. If everyone here wants to defend personal synth reviews from favorite forum members that's really none of my business. And reviewing a synths sound characteristics without a quality way to do so, well I guess I just won't understand why anyone could defend that. Yes the Nord is very dry sounding, I do agree with that but that's just how Nords are. Maybe Jexus can get un-disappointed with his big purchase with some simple outboard FX routing. The 2x really does sound great even with some basic reverb or delay. Just trying to help, sorry again if I came across a bit harsh but I just couldn't sit back and see this wonderful little synth be put in such bad light in my opinion. Just opinions though...... Cheers!
No probs! :wink:

I know a lot of folk can be quite defensive about a piece of gear that's right for them (or even loved!), as much as others are equally turned off by the same thing. The key is to not let it get to you, and enjoy what you like, and to h**l with what anyone else thinks of it! It's like when I read folk saying the Jupiter 6 is cold and thin-sounding, which isn't something I subscribe to personally, but I wouldn't dispute what others thought of it.

Cheers! (again!)
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 pm

I just think it's funny that Jexus can take the most c**p synth on the planet and make it sound awesome and when he finally gets his hands on something decent he hates it. There's a lesson to be learned in there somewhere though i don't know what it is for the moment. But it's in there i tell's ya.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 pm

Yoozer wrote:Don't buy several effects units; just buy one high-quality big one :)
Heh, I've taken the opposite approach.
I own exactly ONE hardware synth and 11 effects units (all analog):

Moogerfooger 101
Moogerfooger 103
Moogerfooger 107
Moogerfooger 251
Frostwave Blue Ringer
Ibanez AD-202 Delay
Boss CE-300 Chorus
MAM VF-11 Vocoder
EH Electric Mistress Flanger
BYOC 440 Envelope Filter
BlueLantern Steiner Parker VCF

With all of those to run my Nord Lead through, I guess that's why the lack of on-board effects it never bothered me. :D If I sold all of those I could probably afford an Eventide Whatever...but I think what I have is more fun.
Still, I replaced the Nord with a Little Phatty, for the reasons I mentioned a few pages ago.
I *heart* analog FX.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:15 pm

Gamma Goblin wrote:Seamonkey, its all good my friend!!! Thanks for the polite comments Seamonkey, I'll start taking some of these post here a bit less personally in the future. : )
I know, I learned the hard way, thanks for the kind words. :)
jupiter8 wrote:I just think it's funny that Jexus can take the most c**p synth on the planet and make it sound awesome and when he finally gets his hands on something decent he hates it. There's a lesson to be learned in there somewhere though i don't know what it is for the moment. But it's in there i tell's ya.

You know what, you're onto something there :?
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:06 pm

I though the topic was bound to die from natural causes but I see some heat around here.

Maybe I'm gonna repeat myself or what others said, but nevertheless:

Remember that my 'accusations' were put in the contexts of price and history. I see this red synth that has so much hype and costs quite much, yet compared to other choices its features are inferior and the quality of sound is questionable (of course that's subjective, but many guys around here seem to have worded the same feeling and experience). I don't think I would bash the synth so much and call it an a*s if it was half the price.

I mean, Trent has the Nord with him on almost every photo, so it has to be cool to at least some minimal extent, right? hehe

My comment about losing money wasn't specifically accurate or apt. I am not pulling my hair out from frustration that I just threw 1000 euros down the drain. If I decide that I don't like or don't need the Nord, I will sell it, and that's it. I just felt like a child who was gonna be taken to Disneyland and all he ended up seeing was Phoenix, Arizona (sorry David).

And the argument with routing the Nord thru some external FX which you might have and recommend is not the point, as I would be forrced to spend even more cash on those FX units (Eventide has been mentioned, wow...).

I somehow envisaged that the topic might take a dangerous turn like that, because I have experienced the very same thing on this forum with MS2000. I said some negative things about it, and suddenly one guy jumped out and wanted to kill me because I offended his favorite synth. He just couldn't stand bashing a synth as wonderful as his lovely MS2000. Allright... Sorry.

I think what I needed was some folks here expressing the same feelings as I have had recently ["is it the Nord or is it just me ?"], which I have gotten and am satisfied with.

I also understand the voices praising the Nord as a great simple synth used to create simple beautiful, raw... or whatever sounds. Maybe that's not my school, maybe I dislike "simple sounds" and synths that are too easy, because the more hidden-and-layered gimmicks a synth has, the more wild and excited my mind becomes. But if anyone thinks I can't do no good with the Nord, please wait and see my demo of it in the future which I am planning to make.

cheers

PS. Now, maybe something for a nice change that will suit everyone;
Hey guys I just bought an ESQ1 and I'm head over heels in love with it, it looks gorgeous and I've been sleeping with it for a week already. And I spent only 200 quid which makes it even sexier. What's your favorite... button in the ESQ1 ? ;)

Gamma Goblin

Post by Gamma Goblin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Jexus, I think the biggest reason for the Nord hype in the past is that from a production standpoint the little Nord Lead cuts through the mix very well. Yes, it can sound boring by itself but almost every Nord I've worked with professionally has had non-factory presets and quality FX to route through. Another reason the Nords are loved by the professional crowd is because of the pitch bend stick. When you need to add automation that is smooth and devoid of a center dead zone like most pitch wheels have it allows for a more artistic and realistic performance. We'll record the MIDI automation with the Nords pitch bend and apply it to other instruments in the studio just to have a more "virtuoso" feel to our instrument tracks.

So I'm guessing that in Poland going to the local music store to try things out might not be an option. If I'm correct in this assumption then I completely understand having to purchase something without having first hand experience and apologize for my comments earlier about buying something without trying it out first. If this it true then I feel for you and others in the same situation around the world. We don't exactly have this problem here in the USA. Some stores here in the USA even let you return stuff after trying it out for a week or two for a full refund. Cheers! : )