I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:58 am

killedaway wrote:
Yoozer wrote:
i think a lot of musicians get caught up in the elitist outboard trap
Thing is, a good sound can get really really great with a high-quality reverb behind it; just a chorus and reverb turn a DX7 or Microwave into something absolutely magical. A 1998 Virtualizer doesn't - it makes 'm sound worse. There's a lot of c**p outboard out there - lifeless chorus and metallic reverbs, which is sort of like throwing a steak in McDonalds grease that hasn't been replaced for a week.
ah, but you left out the most important part of my reply:
killedaway wrote:of course, the huge caveat here is that i don't require realism in my effects whatsoever. for me, that's the joy of electronic music; i don't care if the reverb doesn't sound like a real space, or if the compression is pumping, or if the distortion is brittle... i'll make it work for me.
i could spend more on outboard, but i choose not to. those high-end racks don't currently offer me anything i really want or need. whether or not a Virtualizer (which is one of the best values going for a vocoder, actually) can make the DX7's sound into "something absolutely magical" is completely subjective. metallic reverb? lifeless chorus? bring it. i certainly concede that if i were after "realistic", or clean and natural-sounding effects, i would be inclined to go in a different direction. as it stands, i'd rather make use of the effects already residing within my synthesizers than start searching for the right effect outside.

i guess it's sort of a catch 22: on the one hand, i am sometimes locked into certain sounds, as the synth may be lacking a particular type of effect or setting that i am unable to achieve, but on the other hand, it can be liberating to work within that limitation and see what solutions i can find. sometimes i like the results so much that i wonder if i wasn't trying to rely on effects to put the sparkle in a sound that simply needed a little more work.

your points are well-received, Yoozer, thanks. i guess i just operate a little differently when it comes to effects. i do have some rack stuff, but you probably wouldn't like it -- it's almost all cheapies! :lol:
You seem to think that there's a direct correlation between price, realism and sound quality in all outboard effects, and that's just not the case. There's cheap stuff out there that sounds far out and awesome like the DP-4, there's expensive stuff that sounds amazing but doesn't sound realistic at all (H3000). Just because you don't want a realistic verb or a lush sounding chorus doesn't mean you should dismiss a lot of great sounding effects units, you can have a metallic verb that still has a lot of depth to it.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:40 am

soundxplorer wrote:I own exactly ONE hardware synth and 11 effects units (all analog):

Moogerfooger 101
Moogerfooger 103
Moogerfooger 107
Moogerfooger 251
Frostwave Blue Ringer
Ibanez AD-202 Delay
Boss CE-300 Chorus
MAM VF-11 Vocoder
EH Electric Mistress Flanger
BYOC 440 Envelope Filter
BlueLantern Steiner Parker VCF

With all of those to run my Nord Lead through, I guess that's why the lack of on-board effects it never bothered me. :D If I sold all of those I could probably afford an Eventide Whatever...but I think what I have is more fun.
Still, I replaced the Nord with a Little Phatty, for the reasons I mentioned a few pages ago.
I *heart* analog FX.
From this effects slut to you, I value your choices of analog effects, and effects period.

That said, just know that an Eventide is good times too, in a way analog effects cannot be. Neither is better or worse - in slutty style, you just have to have both! :mrgreen:

cheers,
Ian

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:55 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: You seem to think that there's a direct correlation between price, realism and sound quality in all outboard effects, and that's just not the case.
i don't, but i see that my comments made it appear that way. when i say "i could spend more" i don't mean on any specific effects unit within a particular price range; rather, i'm talking about spending any money on any additional effects at all when i'm more content to stick with the internal FX on my synths.
There's cheap stuff out there that sounds far out and awesome like the DP-4, there's expensive stuff that sounds amazing but doesn't sound realistic at all (H3000). Just because you don't want a realistic verb or a lush sounding chorus doesn't mean you should dismiss a lot of great sounding effects units, you can have a metallic verb that still has a lot of depth to it.
i have nothing against a realistic verb, a huge and lush-sounding chorus, or a warm and lovely distortion. i just don't seek them out as i am far more interested in using the inbuilt effects to get the sound i want, rather than patching out to something else. i confess that i actually have a bunch of effects laying all over the place; i'm doomed to buy them whenever i find them on the cheap, locally. but even then, i still prefer to make every effort to use what's already inside my synths before plugging into something else.

sorry if my prior comments seem contrary to what i'm posting now. i sometimes struggle to put down in words what i'm thinking.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 am

Jexus wrote:I also understand the voices praising the Nord as a great simple synth used to create simple beautiful, raw... or whatever sounds. Maybe that's not my school, maybe I dislike "simple sounds" and synths that are too easy, because the more hidden-and-layered gimmicks a synth has, the more wild and excited my mind becomes.
And maybe therein lies the problem. I don't know about you but the majority of the time I hear a synth in a commercial track it's not doing anything I'd deem as fancy. Whilst it's true that simple is simple, sometimes it's also what works best. The "Lucky Man" lead, Lately Bass, thousands of recorded resonant filter sweeps, sample-and-hold computer sounds, those square basses that are positively plastered over dance tracks - all of these sounds are incredibly useful and versatile.

So sure the Nord may be limited and overpriced in some people's eyes, but surely so are many other synths (Juno, SH-101, TB-303) arguably - and the former trait has hardly hampered their reputation. Of course it's clear that your point still stands (an ION may be capable of the majority of the Nord's sounds then then some!) all the same. At the end of the day its different strokes for different folks, but I really doubt you'd be unable to coax some fantastic sounds of the 2X.

Me? If I think a synth isn't for me it isn't for me. That doesn't mean it's bad, or that I won't recommend it under certain circumstances. Take the ION - I couldn't gel with the sound but I frequently recommend it as a solid starter synth regardless.

Now about that ESQ-1 - I'm sure it'll be much more up your alley. Gritty, lo-fi, analogue filters and a healthy dose of modulation sources. What more can you possibly ask for? :)

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:43 am

aeon wrote:That said, just know that an Eventide is good times too, in a way analog effects cannot be. Neither is better or worse - in slutty style, you just have to have both! :mrgreen:
Oh, I know. Truth be told, I'd love to have an Eclipse, H3000, or anything they make really. The new Pitch Factor pedal is probably more my style and price range. I DO need both. :D

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:41 am

Jexus, what are you going on about.
its a great synth. I regret selling mine. but i've got a virus TI which is far better.

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:56 am

"okay, well, i suppose i don't despise outboard effects themselves, but i really don't like patching out; i don't like the cabling;"

FFS, get a patchbay! Changed my life, $50. Neutrik.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:21 pm

lhm1138 wrote:...get a patchbay! Changed my life, $50. Neutrik.
yeah, that'll cut down on the cables! :wink:

but yes, i plan to.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 pm

Yep. All we have is a couple of stores in the country which only offer what they can safely sell, so there's a Nord, a Microkorg, an SH-201 and a Juno-G [or D or whatever this s**t is called]. But I never really thought about going into such a store and "testing" gear. I mean, what can I test in 30 minutes and under the watchful eye of the salesman... and I hate headphones. Nevermind.

Yes, the ESQ1 is a fantastic synth. For me it's like a previous version of Alesis Ion. I mean, Alesis Ion is like a 21st century reborn ESQ1. When editing the ESQ1, I feel I'm swiftly swimming like a slimy snake [alliteration] through various interconnected canals and pipes, and each time, there's something new on the crossroads :fish: . When playing and hearing the sounds of the ESQ1, I feel like kicking everything around me, EXCEPT the ESQ. :happy6: :happy6: :happy6: Groovy.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Jexus wrote: I just felt like a child who was gonna be taken to Disneyland and all he ended up seeing was Phoenix, Arizona (sorry David).
BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
=D>

no sorry necessary J - that's the funniest thing I've heard all week :lol: ROTFLMFAO :lol:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

goober

Post by goober » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Jexus wrote: Yes, the ESQ1 is a fantastic synth. For me it's like a previous version of Alesis Ion. I mean, Alesis Ion is like a 21st century reborn ESQ1. When editing the ESQ1, I feel I'm swiftly swimming like a slimy snake [alliteration] through various interconnected canals and pipes, and each time, there's something new on the crossroads :fish: . When playing and hearing the sounds of the ESQ1, I feel like kicking everything around me, EXCEPT the ESQ. :happy6: :happy6: :happy6: Groovy.
Hey Jexus, I'm constantly on the lookout for an ESQ-1 do you think you could put out a demo of the ESQ-1 cause that would be wickedly awesome? Funny you say its like the ION cause I was wanting to replace my Alesis Micron with the ION but if the ESQ-1 can put out similar sounds might as well get it for cheaper right?

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:52 pm

I don't get all this complaining!!! The thing is red and has twice the memory!!!! Awesome!!!! :lol:
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Congrats on the ESQ-1, Jexus. It's great that these can still be had for such a reasonable price.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:47 pm

goober wrote:Funny you say its like the ION cause I was wanting to replace my Alesis Micron with the ION but if the ESQ-1 can put out similar sounds might as well get it for cheaper right?
The ION and ESQ-1 sound nothing alike IMO. If you're fond of the sound of the Micron, get the ION - you won't regret it. :)

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:06 am

shaft9000 wrote:
Jexus wrote: I just felt like a child who was gonna be taken to Disneyland and all he ended up seeing was Phoenix, Arizona (sorry David).
BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
=D>

no sorry necessary J - that's the funniest thing I've heard all week :lol: ROTFLMFAO :lol:
I've never been there, but from what I've seen on google satellite maps, Phoenix looks quite flat and brown all the way round :D ;) When there's nothing to do at work we drag and drop the figurine and stroll across the world. I don't recommend messing around in Arkansas or Mississippi. Scary.

goober wrote:
Hey Jexus, I'm constantly on the lookout for an ESQ-1 do you think you could put out a demo of the ESQ-1 cause that would be wickedly awesome? Funny you say its like the ION cause I was wanting to replace my Alesis Micron with the ION but if the ESQ-1 can put out similar sounds might as well get it for cheaper right?
Uhm... if you like the micron/ion sound I can't say anything else than "buy a micron/ion".
What I meant was that both synths, ION and ESQ1, relate to each other in a couple of aspects.
- American sound [veeery broad and vague term, nevertheless I will use it], but obviously not the same in both
- shitload of modulators and destinations and thingies
- great organization of the interface and menus
- both are great boards for "fancy" or "unique" sounds
- you feel the spirit of creativity of the people who designed it

braincandy wrote:Congrats on the ESQ-1, Jexus. It's great that these can still be had for such a reasonable price.
Yeah, again, $200 for ESQ1 and $500 for a Juno-106... Ridiculous. But no comments.