I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
lhm1138

Re: I just bought a NL2x. I'm sooooo disappointed...

Post by lhm1138 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:50 am

killedaway wrote:
lhm1138 wrote:...get a patchbay! Changed my life, $50. Neutrik.
yeah, that'll cut down on the cables! :wink:

but yes, i plan to.
Heh, touche. But at least you can have everything prewired, no more knocking s**t over while crawling around, no more Hardy Boys and The Search For The Right Cable. Then it'll be more like the experience of using a modular synth, just some short cables all right in front of you. Mine was a bit of pain to set up, it has the modules you have to flip around for open, parallel, norm, half-norm. There's some with switches to change the path which would make setup easier.

It doesn't solve the issue of the pain of seperate user patches though. Computer DAW could make life easier there.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:43 am

JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

matti
Gear: Korg NX5R, Ensoniq ASR-10, Novation Nova, Casio KX-101, Clavia Nord Rack, Waldorf MicroQ, Roland JV-1080, Yamaha TG77

Post by matti » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Heh, the first post was quite interesting. Don't buy synths you haven't tested out first! :)

Personally i love my NL1 Rack, or just Nord Rack like it says on the case. To me synthesis is about synthesis. No need for dozens of effects in a synth. I do have a Novation Nova, which is loaded with effects, and they have their uses, but it still doesn't quite measure up against an NL.

If you feel NL or NL2 is thin, then for goodness sake don't go for the NL3 or Discovery :lol:
(heh sorry..)

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:02 pm

matti wrote:Heh, the first post was quite interesting. Don't buy synths you haven't tested out first! :)

Personally i love my NL1 Rack, or just Nord Rack like it says on the case. To me synthesis is about synthesis. No need for dozens of effects in a synth. I do have a Novation Nova, which is loaded with effects, and they have their uses, but it still doesn't quite measure up against an NL.

If you feel NL or NL2 is thin, then for goodness sake don't go for the NL3 or Discovery :lol:
(heh sorry..)

I think you only read the post you mentioned but somehow failed to read everything that followed.

matti
Gear: Korg NX5R, Ensoniq ASR-10, Novation Nova, Casio KX-101, Clavia Nord Rack, Waldorf MicroQ, Roland JV-1080, Yamaha TG77

Post by matti » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Jexus wrote:
matti wrote:Heh, the first post was quite interesting. Don't buy synths you haven't tested out first! :)

(heh sorry..)

I think you only read the post you mentioned but somehow failed to read everything that followed.
Yep. Thats right. This forum is massive. Going thru all posts is impossible. Sorry.

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:28 pm

One thing I do hate on synths is when you have to select the modulation desitation at the source. LFO to X or Y, rather than having a mod amount pot at the destination. I dislike the voyager and lil fatty for this reason, and the nord I just never got on with, so Jexus, I completely understand your reaction. Synths have been designed and pioneered for over 4 decades, there is no excuse for people not taking the best of that, especially when it's freaking virtual! IMO the Arp 2600 and oddy have the best modulation handling even without the patchability.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:17 pm

matti wrote: Yep. Thats right. This forum is massive. Going thru all posts is impossible. Sorry.
this forum is massive. this thread is not. going thru all posts is possible. it helps too, when trying to offer up an informed opinion.

rzzzzz

Post by rzzzzz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:52 pm

But it's so RED. And you don't have to think twice about tossing in the car.

Have had the original since it first came out. Gets neglected for stretches, but every time I notice it again I get a real kick. Not for an innate ability to emulate a particular classic analog, or sculpting a sound from scratch using its subtractive and limited FM capabilities. For me the satisfaction comes more from the layering and morphing. There are a number of archtypal nord sounds that combine in compelling ways once you start digging into them. Probably tend to use these "performances" more for texture than bass & lead. (That's what the vintage mono's that never leave the house are for.) Anyway, each their own.

shendo
Gear: Ableton Live/ Nord Lead1/ Electro/AJ1/ Moog LP /Moogerfoogers/Stomp Boxes/Vermona DRM1 III/motif rack
Band: NONE

Post by shendo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:18 am

I love the original nord lead. I have an Ion and there's somthing about the envelopes, I just cant get the feel right.
Like one of the other guys on this board, I run it through moogerfoogers and the carbon copy delay. It sounds especially nice with the MF LPF. That bit of overdrive, and the filter lopping off some of those high frequencies. I know its not analog, but its a great combo. Also I use an EP-2 to filter sweep the MF.
I am tired and rambling.
Maybe Jexus you can try running it through some pedals or an external in on another synth.
I mean, for me I used to be all about complex patches. I think I am more about the direct interface now that I have so little time to putz around.
I am still rambling, sorry.
Novation X station, Motif Rack, NordLead/Electro, Juno-1, Evolver , Moogerfoogers

shendo
Gear: Ableton Live/ Nord Lead1/ Electro/AJ1/ Moog LP /Moogerfoogers/Stomp Boxes/Vermona DRM1 III/motif rack
Band: NONE

Post by shendo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:13 pm

oh and btw Jexus, thanks for all your videos and demos , they have helped me to make more informed decisions about synths. you have a real gift for melody I think. it sounds like you had some classical training.
Novation X station, Motif Rack, NordLead/Electro, Juno-1, Evolver , Moogerfoogers

wickfut

Post by wickfut » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:01 pm

I like my Nord Rack , mainly because it sounds so different from the rest of the VA synths I've owned.

Virus and supernova oscs are dark and weak , nords are bright and hard.... great for basic in your face sounds.

Get one as your 2nd or 3rd synth , not as your main
My old stuff from yonks ago (1999-2001)...
click me for lofi music player
click me for main page

Somebody somewhere in the UK must have a decent condition, none modded tb303 to flog me ?

kraku
Gear: genoQs Machines Nemo
Eurorack modular
Future Retro XS
Novation Supernova 2 Pro Keyboard
Kurzweil PC161
Rode K2
ESP EC-400
Ibanez SR-900
Band: Aflecht / Diesel UFO

Post by kraku » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:28 am

I can relate to the OPr's opinion about NLs being cold, digital and thin sounding. That's the reason I sold my NL2 long ago. I loved the simple and quick UI though. It's very restricting, but you can get the bread and butter sounds done in seconds. Like some other posters here, after NL I bought Alesis Ion and have been pretty happy with it ever since.
Misspellers of the world, unit!

MacroComposer
Band: MacroComposer

Post by MacroComposer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 am

One of my fav trance arpeggios of all time was created on a NL1 (Toca me by Fragma, see the club mix). I am planning on getting one at some point. My guess is that the thinness really helps it sit well in a mix. I think this is something that gets crucially understated, with everybody looking for that ineffable property of "fatness" in the great analog reconquista. I have some trouble getting my MKS70 to be musically useful because its sound is so expansive and dated (the dated part is probably my fault for not wanting to program it too much without a PG800). My belief these days is really that the sum of the parts outweighs each individually.

jp8080

Post by jp8080 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:35 pm

I noticed you've posted a vid:

of your programming.

Still have the same initial thoughts as your first post?

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 pm

I've had the NL2X twice, second time round i still didn't like it and sold both units on, not a sound i like at all.
The price has went up for it as well, was £449 originally now it's £649.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |