Today's Best Value

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
b3groover
Band: THEO

Re: Today's Best Value

Post by b3groover » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:48 am

I was just going to mention the Yamaha EX5 and EX5r. Same virtual analog synth engine as the AN1x, plus sampling and sample playback plus physical modeling plus FDSP. Very powerful synthesizer.

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Post by Ry-Fi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:15 am

cornutt wrote:It's a bit of a speciality item, but the Kawai K5/K5000 series.
Too bad the K5000's aren't cheaper; I want one! Sadly, no time in the near future...

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The correct answer is V-Synth, but even though most V-Synth owners have been shouting it from the rooftops people still seem slow to catch on.
I'm working on it... Waiting for:

a) A good deal to pop up locally.
b) Understanding the difference between the different versions. (a.k.a. Been too lazy to fully research the differences)
c) Selling my Juno-106 and a bunch of other stuff.

Stafftunes
Gear: Jupiter 6, JX-3P, Nord Rack 2, Blofeld, TX81z,JV2080, RY30, A4000, SK30 + Misc stuff
Band: Stafftunes

Post by Stafftunes » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:53 am

Heh, I look at all the kit in my setup and it's nearly all been super great value for money.. but let's stick to the cheaper side of things (and realistic, as the my Nord and JP6 were bought for £1 each, long story)

TX81Z - has been the backbone of my setup since I first got a set up together. Extremely versatile and suprising synth... just when i think I got it sussed (going on 15 years now).. it turns around and suprises me. £90 in 1994

JX3P - great warm sound, not as full on or insane sounding as the JP6, but I listened to a lot of demos of 106's etc and I recon it gives them a good run for almost half the price! 2nd DCO fattens things up. Only thing I missed on this machine was portamento or glide. I don't have a PG200 for it, don't feel the need for one. Owned 14 years.

JV2080 - wow, I'm only just getting into this beast, I really am loving it, best rompler I've ever used and it just sounds freakin' great. These seem to be going fairely cheap still.

I don't know whether this counts, but I recently bought a Blofeld. I'm in synth heaven with it, feel like I did the first day I got my first synth. Wonderful. I've had it for about a month now, and already feel it was worth every single penny.

killertofu

Post by killertofu » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:04 am

b3groover wrote:I was just going to mention the Yamaha EX5 and EX5r. Same virtual analog synth engine as the AN1x, plus sampling and sample playback plus physical modeling plus FDSP. Very powerful synthesizer.
I have an EX5 and have always felt it to be lacking. It does a lot of everything but I've never felt it really exceeded at any one thing in particular.

Kind of a jack of all trades/master of none keyboard. I know that a lot of people would strongly disagree with me on this one.

Then again, my unit hasn't been upgraded other than the ram. I've never really been able to realistically use samples because the load time is too long and it's impossible to find the SCSI card now. I've never been able to use the sequencer because of a software glitch in the earlier units that affects the timing. The AN engine is good but editing is a nightmare. I have never been able to fully wrap my head around editing the EX5 and the manual hasn't helped much.

As for todays best value? +1 for the DX7. I just purchased a DX7 MK1 from Craigslist and have been pleasantly surprised. I am slowly trying to wrap my head around editing, but there are so many sounds available online that it really isn't an issue right now.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:23 pm

New

MFB Kraftzwerg fully modular with 3 VCOs, 2 LFOS and MIDI for $800? Pinch me.
DSI Mopho modern analog for $400? Pinch me again.

Used

Yamaha AN1X great sounding VA for low bucks
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

lostyetfound

Post by lostyetfound » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Gianni wrote:
First thing that comes to mind is AN1x, I see them for no more than $300 and they're just too good!

Having picked one up recently, I should add this to my list further up. And yeah it's got a boat load of tools and a killer sound for a good price
I wholeheartedly agree. I bought one recently to gig as it was cheap (£160 for a mint one). I've owned its peers, the JP8000, Nord Lead / 2, Nova II, MS2000 and I have to say this is the most analogue sounding of the lot. I can't believe that JP8000s go for 2/3 times what this does.

People say "Not enough realtime controls", well the PC editor / librarian is superb and great for sound creation and there are the usual realtime controls available in the 8 knobs. And it's light.

The patches I have that sound like the Synthex "Laser Harp" and the CS-80 "Blade Runner Brass" are phenomenal, in fact it does a great CS-80 impression and costs less than the softsynth CS-80V...

I'm going to get another, one to gig, one for the studio.

Also Virus Classic Racks are going for £200 now, and with the free Sound Diver (I wish you could still buy that for the PC) sotware you get with it, it's phenomenal for the money.

Matrix 1000 for £150, which is great for a genuine Obie analogue too.

These are bargains in the UK where things on the whole are going up and up in price (£400 for an MS2000 anyone?).

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:56 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
JJQ wrote:Some of the Yamaha CSs could fetch more...
Yep. The 5 and 10 particularly. The 5's a cracking little vixen that begs a damn good tweaking, and gives back the goods. Can be had for pocket money still.

Stringers. They look odd, have three sounds and are called silly things, but buy a proper analogue stringer and you'll never regret it. Part with them at your peril. No ageing poly will come close, and layering monos is for crazy middle-aged pedants.* Plenty of low-budget stringers going cheap, even now.
h**l YEAAAHH Finally someone with genuine taste! I need to get my hands on a Cs-5 ASAP because for the size and price it's amazing what it can do! Cs-10 and Cs-15 (like AG mentionned) are always at a reasonable price for all the great sounds you get from them.

Stringers: people have, for reasons most often times related to versatility, completly forgotten about all the cheap string machines you can find out there. I'm still pretty in love with my SK-20 and lust like mad for a Korg Delta, but i mean, who could pass a 100$CAN (2$ US) Elka Rhapsody 610!?!!? It's dirt cheap and has some classic (read: cheesy as h**l) string/piano/clavicord sounds!

Also: combo organs! If you look closely at some of these, you'll find that a lot of them have, besides their typical octave-divide organ sounds, a lot of quirky stuff to work with. A good example: Farfisa VIP345.

And between these two categories fall quite a lot of little-knowned machines with quite unique sounds : Korg M500, Farfisa synthorchestra, hammond 102100 and such.

But then again it's all a matter of what you are looking for.

synthshaw

Post by synthshaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Can't believe no one's mentioned the Korg Poly61, you get a lot of synth for the money. Quite crude parameter values but what a sound, i've never heard a Va/softie get like it.
Didn't Jexus do a demo on Youtube?.
Anyway, mine cost me £120 and a small service to change the battery and some switch contacts. Wow, it's so dreamy with those filter sweeps.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Of course, how did i forget the Poly-61! I tried one out last year and was very impressed with the sound, very warm yet very aggressive and sharp. Very distinctive, even the 7 stage filter added to the sound character. I liked it a lot, if it was fully functional i certainly would have bought it.

Very good value, especially compaired to the Poly-800 considering it has 6 seperate filters instead of just 1.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:55 pm

I picked up a Poly61 for £80 a couple of years ago, fully working - given the price rises over the recent year, I wish I'd kept it.

I thought it sounded rather nice indeed - I still keep an eye out for one of them turning up on the cheap but the last few for sale have all had keyboard problems.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Philly Stress

Post by Philly Stress » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:02 am

nathanscribe wrote:
JJQ wrote:Some of the Yamaha CSs could fetch more...

Stringers. They look odd, have three sounds and are called silly things, but buy a proper analogue stringer and you'll never regret it. Part with them at your peril. No ageing poly will come close, and layering monos is for crazy middle-aged pedants.* Plenty of low-budget stringers going cheap, even now.

Go ahead and name off some stringers that you feel are a great value.
JoMoX Mbase01

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:37 am

What about the Mono/Poly? 4 VCOs, arpeggiator, sync, crossmod, double sync or cross mod (where you can have two pairs of master/slave VCOs), etc... These things are amazing and go cheap.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:01 am

So the general consensus is that everything is the best value? That's convenient. :D

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:16 am

Murderhausen wrote:What about the Mono/Poly? 4 VCOs, arpeggiator, sync, crossmod, double sync or cross mod (where you can have two pairs of master/slave VCOs), etc... These things are amazing and go cheap.
I'd love one! But I can't say I've seen them going cheap (in the UK at least) I guess it depends on your definition of 'cheap'.. I admit I got all my synths fairly cheap so I'm spoiled ;)