Today's Best Value

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Re: Today's Best Value

Post by Pro5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:18 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:So the general consensus is that everything is the best value? That's convenient. :D
Haha... good point. I think a month from now someone should go through the thread and pick just the top 5 mentions as being the 'best value' (after checking going prices).

Already early patterns suggest the JXs, AN1x and some older Digital/hybrid Korgs (DW8000 etc).

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:So the general consensus is that everything is the best value? That's convenient. :D
Steps to buying the best value:

1. Buy whatever it is.
2. Pretend that you could have paid twice as much for it.
3. Ignore any instances where others have paid less.
4. Don't tell anyone what you paid.

Give it a try. Today.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:57 am

killertofu wrote:
b3groover wrote:I was just going to mention the Yamaha EX5 and EX5r. Same virtual analog synth engine as the AN1x, plus sampling and sample playback plus physical modeling plus FDSP. Very powerful synthesizer.
I have an EX5 and have always felt it to be lacking. It does a lot of everything but I've never felt it really exceeded at any one thing in particular.

Kind of a jack of all trades/master of none keyboard. I know that a lot of people would strongly disagree with me on this one.

Then again, my unit hasn't been upgraded other than the ram. I've never really been able to realistically use samples because the load time is too long and it's impossible to find the SCSI card now. I've never been able to use the sequencer because of a software glitch in the earlier units that affects the timing. The AN engine is good but editing is a nightmare. I have never been able to fully wrap my head around editing the EX5 and the manual hasn't helped much.
All valid points. I think it excels at analog-esque pads and some really nice leads. Have you downloaded any of the free banks from the EX5Tech forum? Some nice stuff in there including a very well programmed set of Mellotron samples.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:21 am

b3groover wrote:All valid points. I think it excels at analog-esque pads and some really nice leads.
Honestly I just use it as a synth and for the arpeggiator and sequencer which doesn't seem to be a problem on mine. It's fun to play with a breath controller. I haven't bothered with the sampler at all yet except to save sounds I've made. I've been tempted to throw things in but all the comments put me off and I'm not really a sample and tweak kind of guy. I'd rather just throw things through outboard effects and record straight to Pro Tools.

I work with the the engines to do crazy sounds. Editing took a lot of patience but I can fly through it fast now. If you're on a budget I'd tell anyone to go buy an EX5R over a JP8000, MS2000, Waldorf Q or a Virus. For less money.

All I know is the EX5R coming through my door for $200 Cdn. allowed me to send my Waldorf Q that I was never really happy with out the door for $700 US. Getting the EX5R was the final push I needed to sell the Q. That and I needed to sell the Q to pay for the Cat SRM that I bought at the time for $500 US.

So Octave Cat SRM and EX5R and cash in my pocket for a Waldorf Q Rack. I'd make that deal 1000 times out of 1000.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

killertofu

Post by killertofu » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:40 am

b3groover wrote: All valid points. I think it excels at analog-esque pads and some really nice leads. Have you downloaded any of the free banks from the EX5Tech forum? Some nice stuff in there including a very well programmed set of Mellotron samples.
Its funny you should mention that. I haven't downloaded all of the patches from EX5Tech, but I have gotten a few. The mellotron samples are the ONLY reason reason I still have the EX5 today. They are amazing. I just hope my disks dont wear out, since I no longer have a computer with a floppy drive! :oops:

About the pads, yes they are nice but I still think that belongs to my first statement. They are good...... buuuuuut I have some other synths that excel in this area.

However, the mellotron samples? :shock: I wish I could find the flash memory upgrades so I could use those with no load time.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:09 am

Jack Spider wrote:
Steps to buying the best value:

1. Buy whatever it is.
2. Pretend that you could have paid twice as much for it.
3. Ignore any instances where others have paid less.
4. Don't tell anyone what you paid.

Give it a try. Today.
I'm familiar with this method of bargain hunting.

KillerSynth

Post by KillerSynth » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:42 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The best value in analog is the Yamaha CS-15.
+1
I got it at US$ 350 a few years ago which has really nice interface =D>

Korg EX-8000: it has no crappy key but great sounds [-o<

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:09 am

Philly Stress wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Stringers. They look odd, have three sounds and are called silly things, but buy a proper analogue stringer and you'll never regret it. Part with them at your peril. No ageing poly will come close, and layering monos is for crazy middle-aged pedants.* Plenty of low-budget stringers going cheap, even now.
Go ahead and name off some stringers that you feel are a great value.
LOGAN string melody can be found quite cheap. If u r patient Elka rhapsody490, sometimes even 610 can be found relatively cheap too. Crumar Multiman is just awesome. not just strings, but pianos, piano bass.. etc.

even tho its more expensive than the above, considering other analogs on the market, i would still say Solina is waaay cheap for how useful, and how beautiful it sounds. it finds way to more productions/tracks i do, than i ever thought possible. it does one ting, but it does it BEST.

back to synthesizer, i have to agree with original poster (AC): Andromeda, whilst being a 2K+ instrument , is still one of the HUGE-EST bangs for the buck on the market. 16 arpweggiators, 32 C3POs, 32 filter blenders.. filter trixing, ring blob, dribbon... multiphone mode.. a true "analog" workstation.

bk to vintages:as metnioned already, the DCO machines MKS70, MKS50 and Matrix 6R/1000, in that order, are a huge bargain. its insane how good MKS70/JX10 sounds, and yet it has entry level prices. SCI P600 if its way under a grand is a great deal to get early Curtis sound. on the digital side: JD990 is cheap, and i find it indispensable. if i could have only one digital synth.. that be it. Blofeld is quite a lot for the money. XT is a bargain too, as i find it very useful in myriad of situations lately, and they have come down in oprices since Blofeld showed up - even tho they dont sound alike really.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:32 am

killertofu wrote:
Its funny you should mention that. I haven't downloaded all of the patches from EX5Tech, but I have gotten a few. The mellotron samples are the ONLY reason reason I still have the EX5 today. They are amazing. I just hope my disks dont wear out, since I no longer have a computer with a floppy drive! :oops:

About the pads, yes they are nice but I still think that belongs to my first statement. They are good...... buuuuuut I have some other synths that excel in this area.

However, the mellotron samples? :shock: I wish I could find the flash memory upgrades so I could use those with no load time.
On the EX5Tech forum there's a lengthy thread about replacing the floppy drive with a Compact Flash card reader. It has to be SCSI and thus you have to have the SCSI expansion unit for the EX5. I have both, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It's one of those projects...

Anyway, sometimes you can find the SCSI unit in an A3000 or A4000 Yamaha sampler (it's the same hardware). The samplers aren't really worth anything, but that SCSI expansion unit sure is!

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:47 pm

clusterchord wrote:
Philly Stress wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Stringers. They look odd, have three sounds and are called silly things, but buy a proper analogue stringer and you'll never regret it. Part with them at your peril. No ageing poly will come close, and layering monos is for crazy middle-aged pedants.* Plenty of low-budget stringers going cheap, even now.
Go ahead and name off some stringers that you feel are a great value.
LOGAN string melody can be found quite cheap. If u r patient Elka rhapsody490, sometimes even 610 can be found relatively cheap too. Crumar Multiman is just awesome. not just strings, but pianos, piano bass.. etc.

even tho its more expensive than the above, considering other analogs on the market, i would still say Solina is waaay cheap for how useful, and how beautiful it sounds. it finds way to more productions/tracks i do, than i ever thought possible. it does one ting, but it does it BEST.

back to synthesizer, i have to agree with original poster (AC): Andromeda, whilst being a 2K+ instrument , is still one of the HUGE-EST bangs for the buck on the market. 16 arpweggiators, 32 C3POs, 32 filter blenders.. filter trixing, ring blob, dribbon... multiphone mode.. a true "analog" workstation.

bk to vintages:as metnioned already, the DCO machines MKS70, MKS50 and Matrix 6R/1000, in that order, are a huge bargain. its insane how good MKS70/JX10 sounds, and yet it has entry level prices. SCI P600 if its way under a grand is a great deal to get early Curtis sound. on the digital side: JD990 is cheap, and i find it indispensable. if i could have only one digital synth.. that be it. Blofeld is quite a lot for the money. XT is a bargain too, as i find it very useful in myriad of situations lately, and they have come down in oprices since Blofeld showed up - even tho they dont sound alike really.
Agreed on the JX10!