Look what I got! ............Macbeth M5!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Look what I got! ............Macbeth M5!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:59 am

Had to tell someone! I finally got a great deal on one and I've never been happier!

It's the only new analog synth I've played that sounds so vintage and raw, 3 vcos, ring mod, dual lfos, dual sample/hold, random, noise, two filters, mixers, spring reverb etc. it's a beast! It's really deep and just perfect for me, I could sit with this thing for hours and I will. My girlfriend isn't too stoked on the size of this thing in our small apartment... I call it the death star.

It is everything I had hoped it would be and I'd been gassing for a long time so it's rare that I'm really this happy when it finally comes time. I had to say screw and sell most of my synths and buy this bad boy, I couldn't be happier with my decision and would %100 reccomend this synth even if it means selling a bunch of gear I mean it sounds vintage!

When I first heard it for just a couple seconds when I was trying it out, I knew it was a winner. It's like a modular moog or something, very moog sounding and just so raw I can't tell you!

I made two more demos: http://www.soundclick.com/nadafarms

Last edited by nadafarms on Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
for sale/trade: EML-101

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: Look what I got! ............Macbeth M5!

Post by plikestechno » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 am

jeezus beezus. even the crappy sounding youtube video is great! Like the dissolves and low lighting. Makes the whole thing almost p**n.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:09 am

wow... It's beautiful. congratulations man!

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:42 am

Wow congratulations! Great demo. Love the tune oscillators in harmony and add some portamento-sound. Beautiful.
How much did it set you back?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:51 am

thanks for listening! yeah I was doing some manual tuning of oscillator 3 towards the end, it just begs to be wailed on.

It set me back $3500 which is a steal! It has a big a*s dent in the side like you would probably have to hit hard with a hammer to get this big of a dent, or drop it on it's edge real hard. Oh well, I don't care about cosmetics... and everything works, I was happy to take it at that price and realized I would probably never have the chance to get one for under $4-5000. :D especially looking at today's price for a arp 2600 yikes!

I really do think they are worth the money and I'm sad Macbeth won't continue making them...
for sale/trade: EML-101

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:13 pm

I always wondered if it resembled a Moog or Arp more. Glad to see you make the plunge! For hosting, you can go to soundclick.com which I use and is a good one. I've wanted to buy your system 101, but am actually going a different direction right now so I can't. That's a pretty good deal on that Macbeth. Would love to hear more of that beast.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:18 pm

nadafarms wrote: I made this youtube video with, sucky sound quality I would like to post a few mp3's but can someone tell me an easy mp3 file sharing site I can host them at?
Soundclick is good for artist's songs, but I've found share ovi pretty slick just for media sharing...

But i don't think that it would work with the new VSE MP3 post player thingie which would be ideal...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Great score! Beautiful machine! Congrats!

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:50 pm

You sir, are a lucky, lucky man! I think you and Rewire are the only M5 owners on VSE no? Sounds amazing too...
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:30 pm

You lucky DAWG! I've lusted for one of these for ages, just too expensive and I don't have the room anymore. :(
Congrats! =D>
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:46 pm

nadafarms wrote:Had to tell someone!
SWEET!!! Lucky man! I had the opportunity to pick one up as well, however I passed after about a week of repeating to myself, "Jim, you have a modular. Jim, you have a modular. Jim, you have a modular."

Well, if the GF continues to give you a hard time about its size (the M5, you pervs), just remind her that she takes up more space in the apartment than it ;)
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

Hair

Post by Hair » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:57 pm

awesome demo! divshare is great for mp3 hosting, just make a free account and then putting up hotlinkable files is eeeasy, they give you a lot of space to upload too, so no worries about running out of room

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Dude, that is awesome! A Macbeth M5N is my "ultimate want" synth.
I hear ya on the girlfriend thing. I showed my wife a picture of one and she said "no way". :lol: It's not like I could afford it anyway.

Congrats! I'm green with envy. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I forgot to say - great sounds in that demo too!

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Very nice nadafarms!
Congrats!!! :D
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:23 pm

that thing is amazing!

nice buy
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com