DSI Poly Evolver Rack - discontinued? (old news?)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JB
Gear: K2500RS + KDFX, K2600R, 2 x DMTi, KSP8, Capybara 320, DSI Mono Evolver Kbd, DeepBase9, Powercore Firewire + Virus, Yamaha TX81z & 03d

DSI Poly Evolver Rack - discontinued? (old news?)

Post by JB » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Finally made time to spend a couple of hours on my Mono Evolver (keyboard) last night and loved it... so much that I'm thinking of expanding the number of voices with a Poly Evolver Rack.
Just had a look on Dave Smith's website and the rack is no longer in the Products list - did I miss it being discontinued?

Anyway, has anyone here hooked a MEK to a PER?
Is it pretty seamless?
When saving presets on either machine do you save using the MEK front panel and just access the PER memories from there (does the MEK sense the connection to the PER and open up the PER memories for access?) or do you have to save the modifications to the PER sounds using the PER front panel buttons? The same question goes for recalling programs - can you just recall a prog from the PER edit it and save it (if wanted) to the MEK memory?
Are there any little quirks that you have to live with when using the two together?

Cheers.

Pilot352

Re: DSI Poly Evolver Rack - discontinued? (old news?)

Post by Pilot352 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Yes, it's old news. It was discontinued about 8 months or so ago.
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:35 am

I've heard it is pretty seemless to hook the PER to the MEK. There is a 6db difference, but somehow when turning the volume knob on the MEK I think it will find and match the PER volume so you don't have to adjust them seperately after that. Turning the MEK volume will adjust both. This is just initial setup. Although I don't have on so I can't confirm how this works. I just went with a PEK :D
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Does the combi mode work properly on the rack? I understand there's a bit of a problem / limitation with the PEK if you want to have a different patch on each voice. Can't remember the details, saving an individual patch saves to all loaded patches perhaps, something annoying like that.