Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Juno6

Re: Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Post by Juno6 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:44 pm

And here´s another very useful screen, specially for live situations...

It´s a full screen display of bar:beat and smtpe time.
The UI colours can be set as you want, so you might want it to be black and white for
the stage, and standard blue for studio, or whatever.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:50 pm

aeon wrote:GenoQs Octopus

cheers,
Ian
How's it feel to compose with the Octopus? Ever use it live? I was watching the videos and making patterns can be pretty fast when you know it.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:56 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:How's it feel to compose with the Octopus? Ever use it live? I was watching the videos and making patterns can be pretty fast when you know it.
I don't truly and deeply know because I do not own one yet. What I do know from the afternoon I spent with one is that it is simply incredible - not just because of what it can do, but because of the means by which it does it. Working with it does not cause that change in conscious focus that I experience with a computer, and when it comes to the aspect of capturing musical ideas, that is invaluable to me.

cheers,
Ian

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:57 pm

when composing i like to work with cubase. i don'T have that many synth so often they are used in more then one track in the same song. so i'm recording a rough audio with the associated midi. then i copy/paste the different part, with always the midi/audio folowing each other. when i'm done i record each track one after the other so the audio is more fluid and i can fine tune it with all the other track, at this point i usualy don't record with effect and the audio input is as hot has i can. then i mix with effects and sometimes i do the same things as the synth, one track at the time because i have only 2 effects box.

i also love the mmt8. when i feel like playing and not messing around with software, win-s**t. it's my way to go. it's so easy to work with it, one button for every fonction. the ONLY thing i don't like is the fact that con't go from record to playback without stopping it.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

yuriyuri

Post by yuriyuri » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:10 pm

MMT8 here also. It's fast as lightning. I never use computer sequencers.

t.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:14 am

midi sequencer - overall, nothing even begins to compare with the Octopus.

But I don't always like sequencing that way. I love analog sequencers, working with modular gear. Just a different experience entirely.

I'd put the SAM-16 - much more limited than the high powered midi sequencer, but what it does do, it does fantastically. Hybrid midi and analog, modulation of midi values and analog values by analog input, various rhythm and step modes, 2 rows of sequential switching and one with crossfading, either of audio or cv, audio rate sequencing, etc.

Very different but also fantastic - the modcan sequencer, and the Serge tkb. With modular of course, you can throw in various helper modules - logic modules, pulse dividers, quantizers, Venusian agony detectors, etc.

I use LIve and Logic because I have to, but these are the sequencers that I love.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:36 am

EMX-1 and SFX-60 for me. those are my steak and potatoes, with every other little sequencer joining in here and there (ESX, EM, EA, ER, Revolution, DX200).

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:41 pm

Fine... I'll give my say before the thread sinks too far...

+1 on the Command Station.
Best grid mode I ever used. Multiple channels within a track is fantastic. Lotso realtime assignables.
Sure, editing patches on the little display is rough, but purely as a sequencer for your modules and keyboards, it rocks so hard.
Most everything is in there save shuffle/groove stuff/sysex business.
Ableton sits at second most used.

There wasnt much talk about the Akai MPC here which I found odd...
As far as the affordable hardware sequencers go I thought there would be more love.
I've considered it but haven't tried one yet...

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:25 pm

yuriyuri wrote:MMT8 here also. It's fast as lightning. I never use computer sequencers.

t.

I also uso the MMT 8 a lot. Latley I've used it to sequence my DotCom modular in conjuction with the Q199 sequencer module:the pitch of the voice is controlled by the MMT8 and the dynamics or other parameters are modified, note by note by the 3 rows of the Q119 module, so the sound can be tweaked live, and that way I don't waste a Q119's row in pitch, or i can control the pitch of one oscillator with the MMT8 and the pitch of other oscillator with one row of the Q119 and that way I have 2 rows ofthe Q119 for other parameters.

The MMT8 by itself is a very easy, intuitive and live sequencer, I also sequence a Novation K station with the MMT8, the keys on one track and the knob tweaking on other track, that way you can improvise a bit on the sound by "muting" the knob tweaking track, every time you perform, so it is never the same.

So, my favorite sequencers right now are . . . .
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 pm

Sexor - that Mario Paint sequencer is a serious flashback! My younger brother had the game, but I loved it. You've inspired a little googling on my part, and it appears that there are now Windows re-makes available:
http://www.unfungames.com/mariopaint/
http://778.jugem.jp/?eid=93

And to be on-topic, my most-used sequencer is Live, but my favorite sequencers are simple step sequencers. I had more fun with my korg es-1's sequencer than just about anything else I've ever owned. I'd like to have a monome 256 specifically for this purpose. I'd also love to try an Octopus.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:13 pm

mis psiquicios y yo wrote: I also uso the MMT 8 a lot. Latley I've used it to sequence my DotCom modular in conjuction with the Q199 sequencer module:the pitch of the voice is controlled by the MMT8 and the dynamics or other parameters are modified, note by note by the 3 rows of the Q119 module, so the sound can be tweaked live, and that way I don't waste a Q119's row in pitch, or i can control the pitch of one oscillator with the MMT8 and the pitch of other oscillator with one row of the Q119 and that way I have 2 rows ofthe Q119 for other parameters.
i always had a question about that kind of set-up: can you use the "click out" jack to trigger envelope or reset any modules or a clock counter/devider?
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 pm

I could not avoid to post this incredible invention from the MIT:

http://digitaltools.node3000.com/blog/5 ... -sequencer
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 pm

I figure I'll eventually buy an Octopus. They do intimidate me to some extent, but I think you would learn it very quickly. I hate spreading my sequences out over multiple devices (I made a whole thread about it lol) and the octopus would be great for sequencing all my devices in one place.

The MMT-8 is an amazing box. So easy to use and very immediate. Plus it's timing was rock solid.

Its amazing how tolerant we've become of sloppy timing with the rise of computer sequencers running on preemptive operating systems.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:33 pm

novielo wrote:
mis psiquicios y yo wrote: I also uso the MMT 8 a lot. Latley I've used it to sequence my DotCom modular in conjuction with the Q199 sequencer module:the pitch of the voice is controlled by the MMT8 and the dynamics or other parameters are modified, note by note by the 3 rows of the Q119 module, so the sound can be tweaked live, and that way I don't waste a Q119's row in pitch, or i can control the pitch of one oscillator with the MMT8 and the pitch of other oscillator with one row of the Q119 and that way I have 2 rows ofthe Q119 for other parameters.
i always had a question about that kind of set-up: can you use the "click out" jack to trigger envelope or reset any modules or a clock counter/devider?
The MIDI interface of the DotCom has 4 outputs: pitch, trigger, gate and velocity, from there you can connect everything to everything, you can use the trigger (click) or gate output to control the clock of the modular sequencer or you can use the pitch for that purpose, I don't know what would happen, but you certainly can or else,you can divide the gate output, one to the clock and one to an envelope and the pitch for the oscillators. The modular is real fun.
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:50 pm

aredj wrote:Fine... I'll give my say before the thread sinks too far...
Yeah huh. Seems like computers are taking over but still nice to see that some people are using hardware sequencers. You can't deny the power of software but a physical interface with solid timing is nice.

Someone needs to create a next gen sequencer. Maybe the Linndrum 2 analog. ^_^ Although I have sort of lost interest in it especially after trying a Pro '08.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3: