Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Re: Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Post by matia » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:25 pm

After many years of the computer generating clock I've switched to an MPC 2000 XL that sits on top of everything. I still use a lot of step sequencers (Elektron MM/MDUW, ESX1, Doepfer Regelwerk, 808 ...) but what I have the most fun with is creating a lot of MIDI control in the Nord G2 then recording that info with the MPC. Having the Nord Modular G2 as one of the main inputs into the MPC is great for standard step sequencing of all midi equipment as well as trying out really experimental stuff that is standard fare on a modular synth (like scaling LFO waves to generate triggers)but in the MIDI domain ... and then recording that into the MPC. When the Nord starts to generate a lot of MIDI info it can get a little bit messy but what other hardware interface let's me so eloquently map out a Jomox Airbase, create off time sequenced rolls on the keyboard that are quantized to the master clock ... and add a fill in with a pedal :)

As far as non step based sequencing, the MPC is a total monster. I love the pads and the feel is really really solid. The clock is clean, consistent, and better than Logic or Ableton any day.

-matia

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:16 am

D-Collector wrote: Unless one of them has a 15 pin joystick /MIDI port and SoundBlaster compatible soundcard (or the Yamaha OPL), then you only need the laptop.

BTW, keep all of them in case your primary laptop dies. So you have a backup laptop :mrgreen:
I never saw a laptop with the joystick port, but again, I´m not a laptop expert.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Juno6 wrote:I never saw a laptop with the joystick port, but again, I´m not a laptop expert.

Now you have seen it :wink:

dmntD
Gear: emu esi32, squier strat, b-52 prodigy , soundcraft folio notepad, Casio cz-101(half working), imac g3, acer extensa 5420

Post by dmntD » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:49 am

Juno6 wrote:
D-Collector wrote: Unless one of them has a 15 pin joystick /MIDI port and SoundBlaster compatible soundcard (or the Yamaha OPL), then you only need the laptop.

BTW, keep all of them in case your primary laptop dies. So you have a backup laptop :mrgreen:
I never saw a laptop with the joystick port, but again, I´m not a laptop expert.

all 3 of them have the onboard fm chip.. dont think ne of them have the joyport tho. maybee ill get lucky on one tho.

one of them actually has usb ports-- but i dont think a usb midi cable under pure dos would work?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:57 am

dmntD wrote: one of them actually has usb ports-- but i dont think a usb midi cable under pure dos would work?
It could, but only if someone wrote a "driver" for the usb controller and the midi device itself so that its accessible from the application.

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:49 pm

D-Collector wrote:
Juno6 wrote:I never saw a laptop with the joystick port, but again, I´m not a laptop expert.

Now you have seen it :wink:
Interesting!

Royksopp are big fans of Sequencer Plus, btw.

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 am

For anyone interested on Sequencer Plus Gold, I just scanned a Quick Reference manual that may help...

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks! :D

I have a pdf of the quick reference manual already, but it is very grainy and hard to read.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:28 am

How d'yall like THESE APPLES??!!!

LOL, just fired up ye olde Yamaha C1 Music Computer, finally found the CAPI (hybrid of VAPI+SAPI) driver
on a floppy and am running Sequencer Plus Gold! It sure does have a funky feel to it (timing, swing, etc.)…
8x Hardwired MIDI Outs, baby!
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

skunk3
Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Post by skunk3 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:10 pm

I'm a huge fan of Akai MPC units, especially newer ones fitted with hard drives / CF card slots. (No messing with stupid floppy disks!)

They are super intuitive and easy to learn, and also offer soooo much potential for so little money. For me, something like a MPC 2500 or 4000 would definitely be my "desert island" piece of gear (along with a bunch of samples) due to the fact that it's a great sequencer (almost limitless, really), it has 16 velocity-sensitive pads for programming really intricate drums, some (admittedly weak) built-in FX, and sliders for automating some parameters. They also have a fair amount of individual outs, so you can process them... Oh with JJOS for the 1000/2500, you can really do some awesome stuff. I wouldn't mind having a Cirklon or something (if I could afford one), but for my needs, a MPC excels at what it does.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:16 pm

I like this one

:mrgreen:

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:06 am

stikygum wrote:I'm going with a non VSE answer. I love Logic and that's my favorite.
Same same. I started using Logic on an Atari, upgrading from Notator. Notator would have to be my favourite pattern sequencer by far.

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Juno6 wrote:prolly offer the others on the classifieds for around what i got them for (read: cheap)
let me know, I think Voyetra will make a good partner for studio midi management with a Sycologic M16 I just got. So need laptop the program and interface to feed notes to the Sycologic midi matrix

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:58 pm

skunk3 wrote:I'm a huge fan of Akai MPC units, especially newer ones fitted with hard drives / CF card slots. (No messing with stupid floppy disks!).
You and Matia have convinced me to give an MPC a go. I've been looking for a hardware sequencer and even the Alesis MMT8 wasn't floating my boat. Not sure I need tons of sample memory - gonnna do some research on the 2000 and the 1000. When is Akai going to come out with a new budget-like model that doesn't need a computer. Or is there one?!?!
d**k Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com

glassofwater

Post by glassofwater » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:25 pm

mpc500 is their budget one.

1000 isn't that expensive used, tho. get that +jjos