Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Re: Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Post by Sexor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:52 pm

I use this for all my music productions:

Monkey business since 2007!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:37 pm

For me, it's the MnM and x0xb0x...but many will disagree.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:57 pm

I've been using FL Studio for a while, but its timing is just unbelievably bad. But as far as interface goes, its really amazing.

Now I mostly use the Fantom G since that keeps me in the hardware world and away from the computer. The Fantom G sequencer is really buggy right now and incomplete but once they get it patched it should be about the best hardware sequencer available.

I've thought about using one of those old-skool native DOS sequencers on one of those little Asus EEE PC's. That might be pretty awesome if you can get DOS running on it.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:24 pm

StepLogik wrote:I've thought about using one of those old-skool native DOS sequencers on one of those little Asus EEE PC's. That might be pretty awesome if you can get DOS running on it.
Good luck.. You might come close with dosbox, but it isn't stable enough for SPG at least :(
And even if you could run pure DOS, the Asus onboard soundcard is not remotely compatible. I was lucky that my old laptop had a yamaha OPL chipset with DOS drivers supported by SPG.

Gold was the last and best version and supports quite a lot of soundcards, but we are talking early 90s.
http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/34029154.asp

And what about the MIDI output? I haven't seen a joystick/MIDI port on a laptop in years.

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:42 pm

piRoN wrote:I still used Voyetra SPG until recently when my Toshiba 200CDS's screen died.
Shame. :cry:

piRoN wrote:It's actually a really fast program to work with, the only thing it really lacks is decent CC handling (and other midi messages of the sort).

Well, it doesn´t have traditional graphical CC, but you can do a lot anyway. It´s very easy to make CC cresendos, etc, and you can do things that most sequencers can´t, via "Transforms" functions:

piRoN wrote:And the midi timing is absolutely rock solid.
And though you don't need a mouse, it does work with one and it makes things a lot quicker.
Yep, midi timing is as good as the best hardware sequencers, as dos is such a tiny os! The sequencer talks to the midi interface in a low level, without the os getting on the way.

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:45 pm

D-Collector wrote: I'll add my vote to that!
Here is my 1998 laptop (on the left) running SPG two nights ago:

Nice colour configuration!

D-Collector wrote:Best sequencer ever!

Yeah!!! =D>

ross308
Band: November's Ego

Post by ross308 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:36 pm

i got a question about voyetra. can you record midi in real time with your master keyboard ? i love the fact that i could have a portable sequencer with a nice big screen for not much and most of all without using 'WIN-DOH' !!!

me ive been using Cubase for a while and was completely sold out to it until yesterday. ive tried "Reaper" . it is a smaller app than cubase and that's the beauty of it . powerful editing without the thousands of features i will never use or understand. it boot's up as fast as FL studio!! it is a pure lightweight yet complete (for my needs) audio and midi sequencer. i'M a musician before an engineer. it runs better than cubase on my not so great computer. the best thing is that with the money i save from not buying cubase i can buy a slick hardware sequencer .
::;Come here little MPC .

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:44 pm

ross308 wrote:i got a question about voyetra. can you record midi in real time with your master keyboard ? i love the fact that i could have a portable sequencer with a nice big screen for not much and most of all without using 'WIN-DOH' !!!
Of course you can. And yes, not having to deal with windows is a BIG plus. Very stable program.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Juno6 wrote:
Well, this is NOT a tracker, this is a proper, professional MIDI sequencer. It needs an external midi interface if you run it on a laptop, or you can use a midi interface in card-form if you´re using a desktop pc. I use opcode interfaces, 2port/SE for the laptop, and MQX32 for one of my desktop pcs. Any soundblaster/roland MPU101 compatible interface will work. I wouldn´t recommend using it on XP, it´s much preferred to be used on native dos.
Anyone can download it for free HERE:
I realize it's not a tracker (that's why it's cool!)... this is a dumb question, from someone who could have answered it himself 10 years ago, but if I download it for use on my DOS based laptop (via my XP machine), can I save it directly to disk, and just load it into the toshiba? Or do I have to use a program to format the disk into DOS format, and then load the software via that? I'm assuming the latter... it's just been so long since I dealt with the different OSs...
I guess then I would still have to find a cheap interface.
Do you even post on vse bro?

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:44 pm

Just download the main zip file from turtlebeach, and there should be 4 zip files inside it. Place the contents of each of those zips on its own normal HD floppy and name them and you are good to go.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Well, it depends how are you use it. some sequencers fit better for certain tasks than others.

I have tried several sequencers since the Tenori on, RM1x, grooveboxes, and I vote for the EMU command station.

I like this machine for sequencing so much, that I adquired two of them, for controlling everything

32 tracks
one single multitrack can activate 16 external tracks at the same time.
Fast engine.
can do multiple functions at the same time on the fly without stopping the sequencer.
CAn transmit 16 arpeggios at the same time.
Two midi outputs.
etc

Great organization of stores information, 300.000 notes, everything is ready when you turn it on. Can mix tracks of several patterns without stopping the music.

When sequencing, command station all the way...
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 pm

Looks like a nice balance so far of software and software/hardware combo's.
JSRockit wrote:For me, it's the MnM and x0xb0x...but many will disagree.
It's your choice man... #-o. Unless someone breaks into your place and grabs your arms and says "No! We are going to use this to make your musics!" :duckie: Song mode on the MnM is alright but neh that's when the computer takes over. Luckily I haven't come across the weird Elektron bugs in Song mode but then again I haven't used that mode enough to break it. :lol:
balma wrote:EMU command station
Those def looks interesting.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:58 pm

Sexor wrote:I use this for all my music productions:

Hah! Hack a super mario world level into a song and you would be superior to all.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:33 pm

• E-mu Command Station
  • Elektron MonoMachine SFX-6
  • GenoQs Octopus
  • Yamaha QX3
  • Five12 Numerology
  • Apple/Emagic Logic
  • Opcode Studio Vision Pro
  • Angry Red Planet Sequitur

cheers,
Ian

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: I guess then I would still have to find a cheap interface.
HERE´s the list of compatible midi interfaces.

I forgot to mention that SPG has over 2000 midi tracks and multiple ports support (depending on the interface)