Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Post by StepLogik » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:57 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
aredj wrote:Fine... I'll give my say before the thread sinks too far...
Yeah huh. Seems like computers are taking over but still nice to see that some people are using hardware sequencers. You can't deny the power of software but a physical interface with solid timing is nice.
I switched from two MMT-8's to computer (Cubase and then FL Studio). Biggest mistake of my life. There is just something about a computer that sucks the creativity right out. The interface is nice for arranging and tweaking notes in a piano roll window. But there is something about the nature of the computer that always makes music production seem like "work". Plus, the computer always seems to fight me at every turn - crashes, midi slop, etc.

Now I'm back to all hardware sequencing and I love it. I'm using the Fantom G's buggy half-assed sequencer now and its so gratifying and immediate. I've made tons of little jams and loops with it whereas I always felt stagnant at the computer. I guess its all psychological.

I think Roland is on the right track with Fantom-G and the MV-8800 - solid hardware that has the luxuries of a computer-style interface without the headaches and UI fatigue.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:45 am

On the hardware side I had much fun with my QX3, but I found it a bit tedious to use.

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:05 pm

As of late, it's been my MPC 2500. Quick and to the point. It's also nice to get away from the computer a bit and use a specialized instrument.

Software, it would be Live. That is, until I fully learn Logic. [-o<

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:59 am

Monomachine
Revolution
P3
Machinedrum
Polymorph
Regalwerk

Still want a go on a Tenori tho.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Me use this:

http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisi ... nshots.htm

It's as fast as a fart after a glass o' milk!
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:50 am

CS_TBL wrote:It's as fast as a fart after a glass o' milk!
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:28 pm

StepLogik wrote: Now I'm back to all hardware sequencing and I love it. I'm using the Fantom G's buggy half-assed sequencer now and its so gratifying and immediate. I've made tons of little jams and loops with it whereas I always felt stagnant at the computer. I guess its all psychological.

I think Roland is on the right track with Fantom-G and the MV-8800 - solid hardware that has the luxuries of a computer-style interface without the headaches and UI fatigue.

i love ableton and have been using it for years but ive always felt frustrated trying to take ideas past the stage of noodling. the roland mv's i think are great production tools, i plan on getting one with my return.
seriously with ableton ive got about 2 years of undeveloped loops and wierd one shots but maybe like 6 'whole' songs.
too many options just result in a night of creating fragments.
blunted daydreaming

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm currently using the RS7000, and I'm having much fun, coming from a computer sequencer.

digitizer
Gear: Doepfer A-100 and MAQ 16/3 Sequencer, Studio Electronics SE-1X, Jomox 888 and Clavia Nord Modular
Band: myspace.com/digitizer

Post by digitizer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi guys,
i just bougt a Doepfer MAQ16/3 midi analog sequencer...i am totally blown away with all the features and what i can do with it!!! Its so much more inspiering and fun when you have to realy listen to get the notes and scales right, rather than using a mouse and just draw in notes to the editor like you are painting. I am using it with my Jomox 888, Doepfer A-100 and Studio electronics SE-1X.

http://www.myspace.com/digitizerhomepage

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:57 pm

digitizer wrote:Hi guys,
i just bougt a Doepfer MAQ16/3 midi analog sequencer...i am totally blown away with all the features and what i can do with it!!!
Congratulations!

I have always wanted a nice big step sequencer like that, but I find it to be a little expensive around here. I bet it is really fun to use though. :wink:

digitizer
Gear: Doepfer A-100 and MAQ 16/3 Sequencer, Studio Electronics SE-1X, Jomox 888 and Clavia Nord Modular
Band: myspace.com/digitizer

Post by digitizer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:44 pm

D-Collector wrote:
i just bougt a Doepfer MAQ16/3 midi analog sequencer...i am totally blown away with all the features and what i can do with it!!!
Congratulations!

I have always wanted a nice big step sequencer like that, but I find it to be a little expensive around here. I bet it is really fun to use though. :wink:
Thanks...Yes it was expensive :? but in resent time i have seen a couple of them for sale used here in Norway...you should be able to get one for a good prize...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:15 pm

One of the most interesting things I ended up doing with mine in the short time that I had it, was sequencing program changes alongside note values... Just using an alpha juno, this led to some really interesting patterns that I never would have created otherwise.
Do you even post on vse bro?

dmntD
Gear: emu esi32, squier strat, b-52 prodigy , soundcraft folio notepad, Casio cz-101(half working), imac g3, acer extensa 5420

Post by dmntD » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:04 am

Juno6 wrote:My main midi sequencer is Voyetra´s Sequencer Plus Gold, for DOS. :lol:

+Perfect midi timing
+ultra fast user interface
+ultra stable
+no mouse needed
+complex editing functions
+independent track loop and time signature
+it has a librarian and midi data analizer included
+non destructive quantize and transpose
+first sequencer with piano roll ever
+it was used by Kraftwerk on Electric Cafe and The Mix
+Also used by Information Society and Royksopp.
+runs on any old pc

yea so when i first clicked on this thread the other day and read this.. and replys to it talking about how bomb a program it was- i went to ebay and bought 3 pentium one laptops, with the hopes one of them will work haha.

Paypaling for one of them right now! cant wait to fire it up.
If all 3 of them work, i will pick the one i like best, and prolly offer the others on the classifieds for around what i got them for (read: cheap)

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:58 am

dmntD wrote: yea so when i first clicked on this thread the other day and read this.. and replys to it talking about how bomb a program it was- i went to ebay and bought 3 pentium one laptops, with the hopes one of them will work haha.

Paypaling for one of them right now! cant wait to fire it up.
If all 3 of them work, i will pick the one i like best, and prolly offer the others on the classifieds for around what i got them for (read: cheap)
You´re crazy! :lol:
They´ll probably work, but remember, you need an external midi interface, and you have very few options here:
Midi Quest/Opcode - 2Port/SE / Note/1 / Note/1+ or the Voyetra external interface VP-11...

If you need help, just PM me...

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Juno6 wrote:
dmntD wrote: If all 3 of them work, i will pick the one i like best, and prolly offer the others on the classifieds for around what i got them for (read: cheap)
You´re crazy! :lol:
They´ll probably work, but remember, you need an external midi interface, and you have very few options here:
Midi Quest/Opcode - 2Port/SE / Note/1 / Note/1+ or the Voyetra external interface VP-11...

If you need help, just PM me...
Unless one of them has a 15 pin joystick /MIDI port and SoundBlaster compatible soundcard (or the Yamaha OPL), then you only need the laptop.

BTW, keep all of them in case your primary laptop dies. So you have a backup laptop :mrgreen: