Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Re: Versatile and favorite sequencers: What's yours?

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:28 am

I'm a huge fan of the Yamaha QX3! 16 tracks, everything happens in the blink of an eye compared to the mc500, and you can fit a ton of songs on 1 floppy. Not the best for groove box style pattern writing, but enough gear comes with those sorts of phrase sequencing abilities that it almost doesn't even matter. I use my radias to compose groove box style things, and then just record it into the qx3. Anymore I just play it on a keyboard I must admit! In the main edit mode, the loop function doesn't loop in time well enough for performance purposes, BUT if you switch to chain play mode it will loop the way you would expect it to so you can jam over it, use it with a mixer and bring stuff in/out, etc. It's hard to beat for building a linear song, and the timing is much better than anything I've gotten out of a piece of software, especially if you're syncing it to other hardware devices. The best part is they seem to go for dirt cheap these days!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...