Hazardous asbestos in old synthesizers?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Hazardous asbestos in old synthesizers?

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:31 pm

In all the instruments, amplifiers, mixing boards, etc. I've had open over the years, I've NEVER seen anything like asbestos in any of them. I think you're getting worked up over a whole lot of nothing, but if it makes you sleep better at night, you might want to attempt to contact some of the repair shops listed in the Repair Section.

The few that you listed (MKS, etc.) would be so unlikely to have such a thing that ... well ... it's just highly unlikely. How would you even come up with such a thing? I haven't seen asbestos in anything manufactured since the '50's, other than buildings, sooooo ...

Run an internet check, I guess. I doubt you're going to find anything.

Good luck.

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

aquablue

Post by aquablue » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Ok -- just how would you know by sight if it were there or not, that is my concern.. I have contacted a couple of restoration companies so far.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:33 pm

i don't remember seeing any in the oldest B3 i've worked on. the most likely place would be in power supplies and tube power amps. greyish-white "fluffy" looking sheets acting as heat shields near transformers, hi-watt wire-wound resistors etc. not to be smarmy, but you might be more worried about the formaldahyde in the fake-wood cases of old synths.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:49 pm

I believe it's wise to be aware of the toxic chemicals we are breathing but your comments to me are bordering on paranoia.
You are exposed to many things every day which have the potential to cause cancer or some other disease, have you seen how much stuff from China has levels of lead in it? until recently no one was checking the import stuff. A local TV station was offering free screening for lead and guess what? it was in the coffee cups and dinnerware people brought it, as well as all those toys you used to play with.
Look at pre-packaged food labels sometimes.
There is a whole neighborhood of new homes in Fla where the occupants are complaining of respiratory problems, turns out the drywall they used had a banned chemical in it..from......China.

Relax dude, you're gonna die from something in this world anyway, you might as well enjoy yourself playing music along the way. :wink:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:45 am

I need asbestos in my synths because my playing is so hot!

sorry, I couldn't help myself and I really really tried not to.

:twisted:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:26 am

aquablue wrote:Ok -- just how would you know by sight if it were there or not, that is my concern.. I have contacted a couple of restoration companies so far.
Tell you what don't buy any of them, it'll help keep the prices down for the rest of us.

How many more times do we need to tell you? Asbestos was used for heat insulation, electronic devices only produce heat as a v small by-product. I was studying electronics at the beginning of the 80's, never once did I hear about asbestos in anything is was working on. BTW Asbestosis was well known by then.

It requires long term exposure in large quantities (ie in building panels, ceiling tiles etc). Most of those people affected by it were actually working with it as a building material.
My old bath panel was made of asbestos, I'd been using it for 15 years before I knew - I will obviously die an early death...

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:50 am

rhino wrote: not to be smarmy, but you might be more worried about the formaldahyde in the fake-wood cases of old synths.
Most formaldehyde off-gasses within a few years, and even if there is some left, it's probably in the core of the particle board, unlikely to escape. The overall amount is miniscule compared to what the average person living in a major metropolitan centre inhales in a day.

Besides, as my old man says when he orders his fifth drink of the evening, "What, you want to die healthy or something?" :mrgreen:

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:52 am

steveman wrote:Most of those people affected by it were actually working with it as a building material.
Exactly!

I won't say it never happens, but I can't think of a case of mesothelioma, that I've heard of, that didn't result from occupational exposure (i.e. spending every day of your life, for several years, mining or installing asbestos). Not to mention mesothelioma is most frequently caused by the combination of smoking (something that was a much more common, regular, and frequently filterless habit back in the days when asbestos was in heavy use) and regular inhalation of asbestos fibers.

The chances of a non-smoker developing mesothelioma from occasional contact with wire insulation are next to nil.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

aquablue

Post by aquablue » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 am

Thank you for your replies although I welcome any further input on the matter if someone any more info..

I would like to switch the topic for a second to a quick problem with my MKS-70...

I just recieved one from e-bay and it looks fine, although the power supply has brown marks and some evidence of a hardened resin material around the top of it and there is an unpleasant odor coming from it (not a burning smell, but a electronic or chemically smell) if you sniff close to the unit even when enclosed or when turned off too. The synth seems to work fine but the smell bothers me. What is it, any thoughts? Its almost a pungent/flowery smell in a way, odd..

Also, if it were an issue, could I get the old power supply and interior cables replaced with something more modern and future proof without affecting the sound or the function of the unit or do only original PSU's work? Sorry, i'm clueless with electronics. Would a tech know how to do this?

Thanks
Aqua

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:17 am

i'm going to go ahead and guess that this poster is a troll.

i mean, really....? :roll:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:58 am

MOST RIDICULOUS THREAD EVER.
‹‡›

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:59 am

youre a panzy.

use some deductive logic - asbestos is insulation, insulation retains heat, synths and most electronics dont function well with excess heat... so why would a synth be loaded asbestos?
blunted daydreaming

aquablue

Post by aquablue » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:22 pm

I don't understand this hostility to a simple question that I feel was necessary to clarify. I am new to vintage synths and old electronics and I had a concern. Why is this a problem? To me, those who are attacking me with various lables and nasty remarks are wasting their precious energy. I had a sincere question and if you think it is irrelevant or stupid, please do not bother adding to the discussion at all. Thank you to those who added something meaningful to the thread.

aquablue

Post by aquablue » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:26 pm

diezdiazgiant wrote:youre a panzy.

use some deductive logic - asbestos is insulation, insulation retains heat, synths and most electronics dont function well with excess heat... so why would a synth be loaded asbestos?
B/c i did not know anything about electronics and I heard it was used in wiring of old electronics and circuit boards, etc, etc built -- sorry for being so stupid my lord, please forgive me... I suppose newbie questions are not allowed, innocent questions are not allowed in your book too, i presume..

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:36 pm

no, its that even after knowledgable people answered your question that you still had doubts.
asbestos isnt an issue in synths, and unless the battery is leaking your synth having a peculiar musk isnt an issue.

having further doubts just sounds like statements from a nuerotic hypochondriac
blunted daydreaming