Prophet 08'

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Prophet 08'

Post by MPrint » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:55 am

So I got my first real analog synth a little over a month ago. Figured the Mopho was a good place to start, good price and seemed like a real quality product(and it was). I got a crash course in synthesis from an Alesis Ion and a Microkorg, figured it was time to move up to better sound. Once I had the Mopho, kinda felt the need for some poly-action. So I sold it to a guy in my band and just today ordered a Prophet 08' module. Wished I could have afforded to keep the Mopho, but don't really have a surplus of cash. Plus I got the Prophet at 1/3 off retail so it seemed like the perfect move. Just wanted to hear from any owners or people who had experience with them what they thought. Strengths, weaknesses? Can't wait for that thing to get here.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: Prophet 08'

Post by Joey » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:03 am

great sound

not very bassey without eq unless you use unison

use the audio mod of the filter
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:26 am

My current favorite. First of all, the Prophet 08 is all about the sound.

It has a classic analog sound, with the warmth everyone claims only found in 20+ years old instruments.

Then it's all the modulation possibilities and routings.

Then there is a curtis filter...as in the classic OB series and rev.2 of the P5.

You will not be disappointed.

Gotta record some sounds from mine soon!

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:35 am

So the P 08 doesn't have the sub-osc the Mopho has right? I'm guessing that's the reason they're not seen as bassy.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:43 am

stikygum wrote:So the P 08 doesn't have the sub-osc the Mopho has right? I'm guessing that's the reason they're not seen as bassy.
No, it doesn't. Justa a sales trick from Dave ;)

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:02 am

iProg wrote:Then there is a curtis filter...as in the classic OB series and rev.2 of the P5.
Just for the record... The P'08 Curtis chip is a synth-on-chip type of deal (DCO waveshapers, mixers, filter and VCAs all on one chip), like the one found in the OB Matrix-6/1000. This is somewhat different from the CEM3340 VCO - CEM3320 VCF - CEM3310 EG - architecture found in the OB-Xa, OB-8 and rev.3 of the P5 (rev.2 used SSM chips).

Still, most synths with any Curtis chips tend to share something in their tonality.

- CM

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:32 am

Carey M wrote:
iProg wrote:Then there is a curtis filter...as in the classic OB series and rev.2 of the P5.
Just for the record... The P'08 Curtis chip is a synth-on-chip type of deal (DCO waveshapers, mixers, filter and VCAs all on one chip), like the one found in the OB Matrix-6/1000. This is somewhat different from the CEM3340 VCO - CEM3320 VCF - CEM3310 EG - architecture found in the OB-Xa, OB-8 and rev.3 of the P5 (rev.2 used SSM chips).

Still, most synths with any Curtis chips tend to share something in their tonality.

- CM
Correct, rev 3 it is.

I heard lots of character similar to the 4-pole filter in the OB-Xa. It sounds very similar in resonance like the 3320.

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:41 pm

stikygum wrote:So the P 08 doesn't have the sub-osc the Mopho has right? I'm guessing that's the reason they're not seen as bassy.
As others have said, no, It doesn't have a dedicated sub. But the P'08 can be set up where you can make a sub out of a remaining unused oscillator in mono mode. Setting one of the unused oscillators to a sin wave and setting the scale so it's real low... walah!! instant sub oscillator.
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm very fond of my P'08 keyboard.

As other have elsewhere mentioned it's not the bassiest synth, but it can be coaxed into making some good bass sounds. It definitely excels in mid to high range sounds, and the modulation capabilities are simply fantastic.

The unison mode is rather interesting, because the different phase and tuning relationships often create sounds that are different from a simply "more powerful" version of the polyphonic sound. The A/B stack mode is also nice too, since you can use one layer to fill out sonic gaps in the other.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 pm

there's one at the GC down the street from my place - so I've played the P08 for at least 5-6 hours.
In terms of sound it reminds me most of my Oberheim matrix1000 w/ the sizzly highs a la Curtis DCO, CEM filter
YMMV, because one really gets a sense of what a particular synth is great for ONLY by using it to make music for months and years.

So this isn't gospel; just my initial impressions:
Not a BIG sounding synth though it will stomp any of the VA's with a little effort. no multimode filter is a bit of a letdown. I love the classic, bright CEM/SCI sizzle. I don't like character of newer CEM filter resonance, personally.
It's got that SCI buzzy in-your face quality... hi-fi like the p05 but not quite as boomy and certainly not as thick as p05 rev1&2. More transparent, cleaner and more in-tune all over due to P08's DCO, not VCO as in p05.

Not quite as 'forward' a sound as the Evolvers - i had MEK for a while and it could SLAM - especially the VS waves.
But smoother, more of that nice harmonic distortion comes through on the P08... vs. Evolver's more aggro tendencies.
But then not many modern monosynths are more thick/fat from the get-go as Evolver, though : modulars, Moog, waldorf Pulse, S.E., FutureRetro, some boutique synths and that's about it.
So the P08 isn't quite so thick out the gate - you gotta knock it into unison or use clever layered A/B programming to reinforce bottom end, as mentioned already. And furthermore you're getting software EGs in the P08 (cost-cutter) which matter for short percussion, bleeps and zaps etc. The software EGs are a bit same-y and stale compared to most hardware EGs in this department.
For FAT sounds get a monosynth like S.E. or Moog. P08 is more of a good basic polysynth w/ some nice sequencing & modulation extras.

besides, it's not like you'll be 'making a mistake' if you just buy the thing and get on with it.
if you don't like it, then you won't lose hardly any money if you do decide to sell it.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Pilot352 wrote:
As others have said, no, It doesn't have a dedicated sub. But the P'08 can be set up where you can make a sub out of a remaining unused oscillator in mono mode. Setting one of the unused oscillators to a sin wave and setting the scale so it's real low... walah!! instant sub oscillator.
except tahts impossible because the prophet doesnt produce a sine wave

most patches will be two oscillators anyway

a way i have found to fatten up the sound is to make a two layer 'stack' patch, and then use the second layer as your sub oscillators

if its a bass you are going to do ti in mono anyway, so you dont need polyphony
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:00 pm

MPrint wrote:Strengths, weaknesses?
Strengths: Great intuitive UI, decent mod routing, good sound, flexible.

Weaknesses: Filter is mediocre (also, the rez in 12db mode is nil), some construction concerns (keybed, encoders), some bugs (glide, encoder buffering).

I used the P'08 quite a bit on my album "Shadow" and it performed pretty damn well! :D

The bottom line is it's an excellent synth, especially for the price but it has almost none of the character normally associated with an analog synth. That is to say "don't expect the "beef" of VCO analogs of yore"...it sounds a lot like a Matrix 6/1000, which is not a bad thing.

In the end it was the bloodless filter and some of the bugs that made me sell mine. It just never seemed to have the guts I wanted from an analog poly, a fault I place as a combination the DCOs and the aformentioned anemic VCF - its since been replaced in my studio with a Sequential Circuits Prophet 600 - despite some of the 600's shortcomings, the sound is there. ;)
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

route_electrique
Gear: Clavia Nordlead 2 | Clavia Nord Modular G1 | Waldorf Microwave XT (30 Voice) |
Band: waveformbakery

Post by route_electrique » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:07 pm

If you had to choose between Prophet 08 and Poly Evolver, which one it would be ?. Or is it for another thread ?. In the end i guess i end buying Nord Wave :lol:.
Last edited by route_electrique on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| Fact is, your are going to get bent over by a Record Company..... its just how far, how long and if you let them decide to use vaseline or not." -Unknown |
_
http://www.waveformbakery.com [coming in Q3!]

gd

Post by gd » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:42 am

The first time I demo'd the P08 I was disappointed to say the least, I had just sold my JP8 that I had owned for 20 years. I kept going back to play read the manual, and started programming some sounds. I ended up trading my Voyager AE for a P08 (+ cash to me) from a guy who had owned it for less than 1 week. While I have grown to luv this bd. I do find the need to run it though some good fx on many an occassion to really get that sound I want.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:04 am

I don't like bass sounds on any poly synth so I think that is a bad point of measure on a poly, nothing does bass like a good old VCO single osc. mono synth for me. Though there of course exceptions I just think.. don't knock any poly because it doesn't do good bass. Stacking sux!

I agree with carbon I would take the p600 any day over the p08, tone is everything to me and the 08 just doesn't sound good to me as a musical instrument for my tastes. I've demoed it for a few hours and listen to zillions of demos, it just has that bland DSI DCO VCF sound that I personally don't like though I can appreciate all their synths it's just not for me though neither is the andromeda or omega which I feel pretty much the same way about. Modern and thin :lol:
for sale/trade: EML-101