Roland D20 and Reaper

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
angster

Roland D20 and Reaper

Post by angster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi,
I am trying to set up a Roland D20 as a keyboard controller for EZdrummer in Reaper.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Angster

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Roland D20 and Reaper

Post by Yoozer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Give a bit more info; what isn't working? What have you used to connect the D20 to your computer. If it's a regular 1x1 USB MIDI interface, does the MIDI cable go from the MIDI out of the D20 to the MIDI in of the computer?
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

angster

Post by angster » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks Yozzer,
My D20 is connected to a delta ap midi in. Reaper and delta are working fine as far as audio goes.
I am a little green as far as using Reaper and the D20. Is there a midi map for the D20? How can i tell what notes trigger what?

I have read that Reaper finds the keyboard controller but with an older synth I am not sure how that works.
Thanks for your help,
Angster

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:16 pm

In case of an USB controller, it finds the controller because it gets added to the list of MIDI devices. In case of an USB or MIDI I/O on the audio interface itself, it won't find anything; it'll just figure out that it has 1 MIDI in, 1 MIDI out and makes no assumptions otherwise.

With a pad-based controller such as an MPD or the pads on an Axiom, you can actually change the notes per pad. With the D20, that's not possible. The solution is then to make EZDrummer listen to the correct notes; so if you want the low C to be the kick, EZDrummer should be set so that it reacts to it.

Googling a bit results in http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=32581 - which means you're out of luck :(.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

angster

Post by angster » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:32 pm

Thank you yoozer.
One more thing please,
Do i have to set any of the midi settings in the D20?
I know this is a stupid question.
Angster

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:43 pm

It's not stupid :). If you make a new MIDI track in Reaper, it may be that it reacts only to MIDI channel 1. If your D20 is sending at MIDI channel 6, you have to change this. If you bought your D20 secondhand, the previous owner might've had a setup that required this (using the MIDI thru), but otherwise it should be just at MIDI channel 1.

Hit the MIDI button and use the DISPLAY up and down buttons to check. Set both MIDI Rx (Receive) channel and MIDI Tx (Transmit) channel to 1; it's probably what Reaper selects by default, so that should work.

Hair

Post by Hair » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:28 pm

Or you could make your life easier and set the MIDI input in Reaper to all channels of the Delta's MIDI interface (right click on the track meter while it's armed to record, MIDI input -> delta -> all channels)

With EZdrummer loaded as a plug on that channel it should work (set record monitoring mode to on or auto to be safe). And always remember (you probably know this but it has to be said) MIDI out goes to MIDI in, MIDI in goes to MIDI out!