Arrrgh missed out on a MonoPoly locally for $125

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hair

Arrrgh missed out on a MonoPoly locally for $125

Post by Hair » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Saw the craigslist yesterday listing 2 hours after it was posted, the woman said she was selling it for her boss and already had a couple of people lined up to check it out, but that it wouldn't be in the office to check out until the next day (today), so I left my number but said I'd call again anyway. Called as soon as I woke up this morning and she said it was gone :(

Seemed like it would've been working and they just didn't bother to check the value, I just hope the person who got it isn't buying to flip.

Feel free to share any other heart-wrenching stories of almost-deals and commiserate with me :lol:

JJQ

Re: Arrrgh missed out on a MonoPoly locally for $125

Post by JJQ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:31 pm

I missed oy on a cheep CS-60 last year...think it was about 400$...

But Im one of the "the glass is half full" kind of guys, so I pretend it never happened. :)
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

synthesizerist

Post by synthesizerist » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Prophet 5 rev 2- had some issues, but for $750??! Yeah...

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:49 pm

Sucks.

I actually could have gotten a "old Roland with wood on the sides with nice helicopter sounds" for free, but when I got back to her it was thrown in the trash. I was depressed for weeks.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Mint Roland JX-3p with PG200 for £55. #-o

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:04 am

craigslist stories thread

I thought there were a lot more stories in there than are posted. Maybe I was thinking of the gear scores thread.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:54 am

premieklovn wrote:Sucks.

I actually could have gotten a "old Roland with wood on the sides with nice helicopter sounds" for free, but when I got back to her it was thrown in the trash. I was depressed for weeks.
:x

TRAVESTY

MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Post by MPrint » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:12 am

Guy I know who fronts a band called "Ghost to Falco" got a MS20 for $100 from a pawn shop. My gut wrenched when I heard that. Also I missed out on a Prophet 5 from Guitar Center for $500. I think it had fuse problems, but that's no biggie.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:29 am

EDP Wasp Deluxe for £100 in London recently.

But then there are loads of scam listings on classified pages at the moment. Loads, it's almost funny.

Also I reckon with really good deals like that some people will be getting in touch and offering more. Where's the fun in that?

Oh well, Wasp schmasp.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:03 am

I picked up a Roland TR-707 locally on wednesday for £60 in excellent condition, a bargain find :D
When you consider the price they go for on ebay and in secondhand shops, they are usually three
times that, sometimes even over £200!
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 pm

masstronaut wrote:But then there are loads of scam listings on classified pages at the moment. Loads, it's almost funny.
You are not wrong.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:21 pm

Got my JX-10 for $350 incl shipping. Good one in terms of swedish prices!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:40 am

Hair wrote:Saw the craigslist yesterday listing 2 hours after it was posted, the woman said she was selling it for her boss and already had a couple of people lined up to check it out, but that it wouldn't be in the office to check out until the next day (today), so I left my number but said I'd call again anyway. Called as soon as I woke up this morning and she said it was gone :(

Seemed like it would've been working and they just didn't bother to check the value, I just hope the person who got it isn't buying to flip.

Feel free to share any other heart-wrenching stories of almost-deals and commiserate with me :lol:
JJQ wrote:I missed oy on a cheep CS-60 last year...think it was about 400$...

But Im one of the "the glass is half full" kind of guys, so I pretend it never happened. :)
Ha, interesting, I would not be complaining if I had anything anywhere near as good as a mini, JP8,TB-303, etc :wink: .

Yes, well it's a fact of life that synth bargains are not only uncommon these days but due to the extremely large interest by just about everyone wanting to be as cool as the latest band with "retro" gear, are also very hard to grab.

You think the MP was bad, in a different thread I told the story of how I had practically paid for a $1600 AUD Minimoog (as opposed the more regular $3500 to $4500 AUD on eBay AUS) only to have it ripped of me by another buyer after I had organised the buy. Sure the other guy offered more, but at the time I was (and usually am) really poor and couldn't offer more. At the end of the day it was the seller that was the real prick considering I had already said I'd buy it.

Anyway these things happen all the time, just put it down to experience. Only recently I saw a Boss DR-550 Analog drum machine in a local secondhand shop for $80, went back later to buy it and it had already gone :shock: , and this is in the shithole I live in where there is practically NO cool gear and very few people who genuinely like analog gear (apart from the one's who are obsessed with rock music and are just copying the latest trend). These things make me depressed too but just think it probably wont be too long before you get something else, thats the way I look at it.

What makes me more angry is the buyers who are only into buying synths as an investment, the buy low, sell high type. That's fine for real estate but for synths, you're affecting a hugely important culturally significant part of society and putting emerging low budget artists at a disadvantage, I just wish the fools selling Mini's for 4-5K here would stop and think about the music and make they're prices reasonable for once. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the usual increase in prices, more the hugely overpriced reserves going at up to 2 to 3x the acceptable going rate, that pisses me off :x .

PS; I think that Prophet 5 with fuse issues went to someone here, I remember reading about it not so long ago, and yes it worked when the fuse was replaced and was a Rev2 prophet, so that is quite a bargain.

Cheers,

Hybrid88 :D

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Only recently I saw a Boss DR-550 Analog drum machine in a local secondhand shop for $80, went back later to buy it and it had already gone :shock:
I don't think you missed out too bad on that one, in fact the other guy may have done you a favour. ;)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:24 pm

masstronaut wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Only recently I saw a Boss DR-550 Analog drum machine in a local secondhand shop for $80, went back later to buy it and it had already gone :shock:
I don't think you missed out too bad on that one, in fact the other guy may have done you a favour. ;)
Yeah, probably. I don't even really like drum machines that much, more just taking advantage of a local oportunity, I hate postage costs and bidding wars on eBay #-o .

:wink: