Do Audio Demos Affect Your Purchases?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
syncretism

Do Audio Demos Affect Your Purchases?

Post by syncretism » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Is it one thing to listen for snappy envelopes, responsive VCAs and precise sound, but something else to hear a great demo and think "Damn, I want that, that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish?" Is the latter silly?

This multitracked Cwejman S1 MkII has me so hot and bothered, right now. It's like Cwejman said "We need to sell this to the Autechre types":

Yours,
Niall.

aeon

Re: Do Audio Demos Affect Your Purchases?

Post by aeon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:55 pm

syncretism wrote:Is it one thing to listen for snappy envelopes, responsive VCAs and precise sound, but something else to hear a great demo and think "Damn, I want that, that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish?" Is the latter silly?
If one has overlooked the nature of the gear in favor of enjoying the visceral/emotional/cognitive experience of the music/audio, then perhaps. That said, sometimes a demo shows off the nature of the gear. In this case, I don't think it so much shows the Cwejman as it does the composition and arrangement.
syncretism wrote:This multitracked Cwejman S1 MkII has me so hot and bothered, right now. It's like Cwejman said "We need to sell this to the Autechre types":

That demo has been so brutally limited as to not reveal the nature of the source synth - or so it seems from the hearing of it and a quick peek at the audio.

I'd prefer to hear it raw, with no post-process - especially as it concerns an instrument with such superlative, dynamic envelopes, and precise, cutting sound.

cheers,
Ian

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:09 pm

I can't tell on these craptop speakers, It doesn't sound any worse than anything on Untilted, though ;)

But yeah, the lust-inducing demo that doesn't actually represent the synth, but is still a good tune, is where i'm going with this. It is silly, yet here I am, feeling that Cwejman lust again.
Yours,
Niall.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:47 pm

I usually find that demos don't really show off the sides of a synth that I like. Sometimes I hear a demo and it makes me interested, but it's so rare that a demo is using the synth in the same way that I'd use it. It seems that a lot of demos are trying to show off every feature of the synth at the same time and it's not the most musical thing.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:03 am

Demos always sound good to me, so I usually don't fall for them. I would much rather hear an album made with synth x to see where it fits in the mix and how it works in the musical whole.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:13 am

Decided on needing a machinedrum from their demos on their website and youtube vids. But didn't jump on it until I played around with one in person. -g

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:20 am

demos certainly get me interested in a synth, but I never actually commit to a purchase based on demos alone
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

dinotread

Post by dinotread » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:40 am

No, but while you're on cwejman demos, this one sounds pretty killer to me. (it won't embed)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:33 am

Joey wrote:demos certainly get me interested in a synth, but I never actually commit to a purchase based on demos alone
+1

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:37 am

I thought about it (and considered my gear), and the answer is yes for effects, less so for synths.

Part of that might be the relative price difference - effects are usually less coin, and subject to inspired whims. Part might be that so many synth demos are post-effected, so I don't have the sense that I am actually hearing the synth in question.

Audio demos did lead me to buy a Virus b some years ago.

cheers,
Ian

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:58 am

tallowwaters wrote:Demos always sound good to me, so I usually don't fall for them. I would much rather hear an album made with synth x to see where it fits in the mix and how it works in the musical whole.
That's a sensible way to go about it; I hope Benge or Keith Whitman get some new synths, soon.
Yours,
Niall.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:53 am

syncretism wrote: That's a sensible way to go about it; I hope Benge or Keith Whitman get some new synths, soon.
that album is great. it's not super musical but you can hear the synth very well. alot of detail in the sounds of the synth are there, realy worth a listen.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:08 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
Joey wrote:demos certainly get me interested in a synth, but I never actually commit to a purchase based on demos alone
+1
+2

I think I posted this before, but it's worth repeating: a bad online audio or YouTube demo would never sway me against buying a synth, but a really, really good one would go a long way to making me part with my money.

As I see it, a demo that sounds good despite the audio limitations imposed by YouTube means I'm that much more likely to hear it when played in the raw, in person, through a good pair of cans.

To their credit, Future-Retro always seems to do good, short demos of their gear (audio only, mind you) on their website. When I was researching the XS I found literally dozens of 20-30 second clips in a variety of styles that pleased my ears. It made the purchase a very easy thing to consider.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:20 pm

what i like to hear most in demos is filter sweeps, like standard one osc filter sweeps with high resonance, just to get a feel for the overall tone of hte filter

then i like to hear some of the more obscure features of the synth

like in teh case of the A6, i like to hear demos showing off soft sync and FM of PWM, etc...

for the xpander, filter sweeps with its phase filters, etc...
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Yes to a degree. I will usually form a decision on demos combined with articles and user reviews from places like harmony central, sonic state and forums such as this. Unfortunately for many of us our local stores may not carry a particular synth we're interested in, so we're unable to demo them in person. I remember when the Prophet 08 came out I kept calling our local Guitar Center to see if they had one to demo....NO! do you know when? NO! they never did get any in to demo, so I had to go by the demo's and YouTube stuff to see if I was interested or not.
I think some of the best demos I heard of the P08 were from KeyboardWizard but this may have been because of the type of music he played when demoing it. No offence to DocT who makes some great demos and really knows how to coax some unique textures out of a synth, they're normally not in a genre I use.

I normally don't like hearing demos when they are combined with other synths because then you're trying to pick it out of the pack, single soundbytes of different settings are my favorite.
Judging by the number of synths I have bought and sold over my synth lifetime, nothing works better than having the synth in your studio and using it.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric