Do Audio Demos Affect Your Purchases?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stikygum

Re: Do Audio Demos Affect Your Purchases?

Post by stikygum » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:05 am

tallowwaters wrote:Demos always sound good to me, so I usually don't fall for them. I would much rather hear an album made with synth x to see where it fits in the mix and how it works in the musical whole.
+1

I do think it's best to listen as many demos as possible. That's a decent way to gage the synths limits and possibilities. That Cwejman track up there has been on the site for years. It's a great composition, but to me it's not so much the synth that's doing that, more so the person chopping up the cwejman audio bits and putting them together. Modulars are good for this type of music, but I wouldn't say that it's one type of modular that can do that. Cwejman is great and that's actually the demo I listened to several years ago that got me going on Cwejman. I could listen to it all day. I've been wanting to get the VM-1 for my modular to have some Cwejman sound.

I usually don't listen to the composition, but to the individual sound and try to hear it's bare sound.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:09 am

definitely.

I wouldn't buy something based purely on an audio demo, but it can definitely give me the initial interest required for further research.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:42 am

I'll say they have an impact on my decisions.

When I first saw the MC-909, I didn't have a whole lot of time to spend with it and merely ran through the presets, which really, REALLY turned me off on the machine. I had nothing to do with it for years, even though I had read the specs and dug through the manual in the meantime. However, after a few years, I ran across a site that was dedicated to the machine and users had posted a number of pieces there that really caught my attention - they sounded nothing like the demos included in the machine and were more along the lines of things I would have liked to have heard originally from it.

After that I did more research, found one to play with and then bought one. In this case, the "3rd Party" work with it really made the sale for me, especially since the factory sounds, etc. turned me off.

(Of course, I should have known what it was capable of: for years I championed the MC-505 as a pretty damn good machine, PROVIDING one dug into the programming and got away from the presets, etc. I should have paid attention to my own advice on the 909! Dig into the engine and it really opens up.)

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

DocT

Post by DocT » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:08 pm

The "Endorphins"-demo once made me buy the Virus A.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:27 pm

DocT wrote:The "Endorphins"-demo once made me buy the Virus A.

ditto but mine was an Indigo and I lived on yours and carbon's site for days before buying a PolyEvolver. :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Post by MPrint » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:49 pm

I pretty much agree with what most of you are saying. A synth demo can give you a general idea of what the sound is like, but they rarely get to scratch the surface on what can be done. There's no demo that can use every patch, just the ones the person doing the demo thinks are best.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:43 am

I have to try a synth...demos are usually either too good (better than I can make) or just c**p (worse than I can make). That said, I am listening to demos of the Sidstation before I buy one since that synth is something you can understand via audio demos.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:10 am

an intuitive user interface is more important to me than sound, and i can usually get interesting sounds out of almost any synth. most demos actually steer me away from a given piece of gear rather than make me want it. there are very few things i would buy without hands on interaction first.

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:13 am

Demos have helped me rethink some instruments that I already owned. I had one that I had only moderately enjoyed over the years and it wasn't until a sale fell through that I revisited it and realized a vast group of possibilities that I hadn't even scratched the surface surface of, prior to watching a recently uploaded You Tube video. I did nothing to emulate what the video showed, but it opened my mind to wider exploration with a more optimistic viewpoint. It also helps that my playings skills had improved since the last time I played it.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:13 am

JSRockit wrote:That said, I am listening to demos of the Sidstation before I buy one since that synth is something you can understand via audio demos.
didn't you used to have one? maybe i'm thinking of someone else.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:15 am

divineaudio wrote:an intuitive user interface is more important to me than sound, and i can usually get interesting sounds out of almost any synth. most demos actually steer me away from a given piece of gear rather than make me want it. there are very few things i would buy without hands on interaction first.
i agree with this all the way. unfortunately, a lot of the "good stuff" is out of reach, locally. my Revolution and Monomachine had to be bought blind as i had no way to play with one locally. lucky for me i ended up liking both very much and didn't need to sell them.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Always good to try before you buy, but I understand about not having something on hand. Still, demos - whether they suck or not - should give you a good idea of the capabilities of an instrument. I often wonder why some do not.

Virii are bad, Doc - as an MD, you should have known that! :lol:

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:45 pm

Most of the synths I've bought I couldn't play before I bought them. At the time where I started buying analog synths, there were far too few demos of vintage synths... none, really. You could hear them in recordings, but you never knew what had been done to them. I don't know anyone personally who owns a Minimoog or a Korg Delta or Technics SY-1010. Nearly every synth I bought was a stab in the dark. VERY rarely did I purchase a synth which turned out to be horrible. (some broken, but that is unrelated to this topic!) Okay, the Opus 3 comes to mind, but anyway. :wink:

That's why I started making video demos... to give eBay buyers some idea of the sound and functionality of the synths they were looking to purchase.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Korg Poly61 - 2nd hand (~150 euro), because I was into cheesy synthesis back then
VL70 - after playing the VL7 @ study
FS1r - after hearing it at a fair and reading about it
SY77 - reading reviews on internet + knowing that it's bad-a*s FM
SN2r - SOS review
JD800 - I remember playing it in the early 90's in our musicshop + I wanted a masterkeyboard back then (didn't have any, ut I did have modules then ^_^)
JD990 - dito, + the first demo song is actually quite nice. + up to some point you can control it with the JD800
EMU6400 - because I was silly
SVR3030 - wanted an effect unit for randomness' sake
My bed size mixing console - because I was silly
DX7 - Because I was silly, and boy what a day it was. Ever carried around a DX7 in a flightcase on trainstations, going from platform to platform? I was DEAD when I got home.
VMK88 - wanted a cheap 88-key masterkeyboard with light key action and some faders/knobs
Genelec1030 - according to reviews and background stories this is/was kinda an industry standard back in the days..
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:59 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Korg Poly61 - 2nd hand (~150 euro), because I was into cheesy synthesis back then
VL70 - after playing the VL7 @ study
FS1r - after hearing it at a fair and reading about it
SY77 - reading reviews on internet + knowing that it's bad-a*s FM
SN2r - SOS review
JD800 - I remember playing it in the early 90's in our musicshop + I wanted a masterkeyboard back then (didn't have any, ut I did have modules then ^_^)
JD990 - dito, + the first demo song is actually quite nice. + up to some point you can control it with the JD800
EMU6400 - because I was silly
SVR3030 - wanted an effect unit for randomness' sake
My bed size mixing console - because I was silly
DX7 - Because I was silly, and boy what a day it was. Ever carried around a DX7 in a flightcase on trainstations, going from platform to platform? I was DEAD when I got home.
VMK88 - wanted a cheap 88-key masterkeyboard with light key action and some faders/knobs
Genelec1030 - according to reviews and background stories this is/was kinda an industry standard back in the days..

when I got my cz5000 I carried it from Fordham in the bronx to my dorm in the financial district, around an hour and a half of travel

i was pretty okay afterwards though haha
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com