What Synths were used to make the terminator 2 soundtrack??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
steveman

Re: What Synths were used to make the terminator 2 soundtrack??

Post by steveman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 am

zoedrone wrote:
Micke wrote: By the time of the interview in Keyboard Fiedel planned to add a Fairlight CMI III. I'm not sure
if he ever aquired one though.
Yes he did! He even used it on Terminator 2.
You can see it in the background on the "T2 Ultimate" DVD when he is being interviewed.

EDIT:
Found a pic:
I've a question re the DVD - is the Ultimate DVD the one with the 3rd version of the film (accessed via some kind of easter egg IIR)? Seem to remember it was US (region 1) only.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:10 am

[quote="Micke"]
I also see what may be a Prophet VS rack in the background and the Voyetra 8
is still there.
quote]

I think you're right about the VS. Looks like a D-550 next to the Voyetra and a Casio FZ-10 below it.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:29 pm

Z wrote:
I think you're right about the VS. Looks like a D-550 next to the Voyetra and a Casio FZ-10 below it.
I think you're right about the D-550 and FZ-10 too.

I reckon that many of the synths listed in the keyboard Mag interview from spring '86 (see my previous post) saw use on Fiedel's other soundtracks from the mid '80s, such as "Fright Night" and "Compromising Positions".
As for the Fairlight, VS rack, D-550 and FZ-10, I don't know when he got those but since all of them were available by the time he scored "The Serpent & The Rainbow" in '88 there's a fair chance that some of those made it onto that soundtrack, at least the Fairlight and the VS.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979